She thinks they should all go to rescues... (venting)

wildgrace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A while back I made a friend who had been feeding a gigantic colony for TWELVE years. It has taken us about 3 to get 95% of it under control with spay/neuter and adopting out the friendly ones & kittens.

These cats live in California in a white collar business park in a middle-class area. Apart from cars, I think it's a pretty good place for them to be.

Anyway, a woman has come across the cats and is going to "fix" the whole thing. Her heart is obviously in the right place, but she is ADAMANT the cat need to be caught and placed in sanctuaries, that leaving them outside is inhumane, that we don't know what kinds of lives their leading when we're not around.

This lady claims she has a lot of sanctuary connections and that she'd trap and handle the whole thing. My friend and I said first let's get some info about these sanctuaries before you cart off the cats! This lady says she cannot divulge any info about the sanctuaries. The sanctuaries want to remain anonymous.

ALright, I say, but let one of them call US and remain anonymous but talk to us. No. Okay, well let us talk to one of their vets and get a reference that way. No, they're too busy to be bothered.

Well, I say, no way! How can she expect me to hand over these little lives with no assurance or recommendation at all? Her position is how can you leave them outside to get worms and fleas and die by car or other painful way? And people are going to dump more cats because they see my friend feeding.

I've sent this woman all sorts of info about TNR from alley cat allies and best friends, 2 organizations she recommended to ME as if I didn't know them.

She calls me and my friend irresponsible too because we haven't been able to catch ALL the cats. What about the 40+ we have caught??? She has no respect for all the hard work we've put in the last 3 years. She thinks we're mishandling the situation and she has all the answers. On top of it, she's loud and pushy.

I guess I just needed to vent. She really shook my resolve about TNR but all my research has brought me back to it. Sanctuaries aren't the solution and I'm so frustrated with people. Anyway, thanks for reading this.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you said NO! She sounds very fishy to me. Sanctuaries have NO PROBLEM talking to caretakers. It sounds to me like she was either going to have them euthanized or *shudder* worse.

Have you sent her information about the vacuum effect? That even if she takes these cats to a "sanctuary" (which I still don't think exists) that more cats will move in to take their place?

scott77777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We've had some problems with people who are a little suspicious in their actions, despite wanting to "help." (like "animal rescuers" that want to spay/neuter very young kittens). If she refuses to give you any information about the sanctuaries, then I wouldn't work with her. If they can't entrust you with the knowledge that they'll be responsible, how can you entrust her with the lives of the cats?

You really have to do what you think is best for the cats, and try to separate her emotions and your emotions from it. At the same time, you've got to listen to your instincts.

My personal big thing is not wanting to make any situation WORSE than when I found it. That can be hard to do.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My red flag is at full mast now at those comments she made.There is no way a sanctuary would not want to get in contact with the people in charge of the colony for they can gain valuable information from you. How many cats, who the matriarch is, what you are feeding them, how many spayed, neutered? I would watch your colony as close as you can, and with her as a threat, I would seriously think about you looking for an alternative place to put these cats even into a sanctuary that you find! I can just see her sticking these cats into a trailer or a warehouse just because.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow is that scary! You might be a crazy cat person (
) - but you sure have great judgment. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all, I think you and your friend did a GREAT job. And unfortunately it now looks threatened - I agree with MA. Who knows what this woman's intentions are (and they just cannot be good!). Please ask your friend to keep a close watch on this colony - and again, unfortunately, it sounds like your friend may have to work to relocate these animals in order to ensure their safety.

Scott - it has actually been proven that early age spay neuter is safe for cats as young as 6 - 7 weeks old.

Actually - I think I should start a thread on that.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't trust her! If she was open about the sanctuaries -- letting you check them out yourself, then I wouldn't be so concerned. It is her secrecy that frightens me. She needs to find another cause (not cats) to get involved in and should leave your colony alone!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wildgrace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies and support! This woman has said that she would back out of the situation if we didn't want her help. We've had civil conversations and I think she'll wash her hands in disgust when we refuse her generous offers.

Even if she doesn't, the cats in this colony are well-fed and I've never known a single one to look at a trap once they were caught the first time. I don't know if we have an especially wary group but I would bet money she won't catch a single cat if she stuck a trap out there.

That's double insurance. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is skeptical about her. Thanks all!

2tame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by wildgrace
Thank you all for your replies and support! This woman has said that she would back out of the situation if we didn't want her help. We've had civil conversations and I think she'll wash her hands in disgust when we refuse her generous offers.

Even if she doesn't, the cats in this colony are well-fed and I've never known a single one to look at a trap once they were caught the first time. I don't know if we have an especially wary group but I would bet money she won't catch a single cat if she stuck a trap out there.

That's double insurance. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is skeptical about her. Thanks all!
Someone who can't be trusted in general can't be trusted when she says she'd back out. My first thought was bounty hunter for research labs. Your cats may be wire-trap proof but there are drop-traps, wooden traps, drugged food, tranquilizer guns, etc.

Not to sow paranoia but do keep an eye out.

uncle fester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"Sancuaries want to remain anonomys"?

HORSEPUCKY!

Why would they want that? Wouldn't they want donations of food, money and the like?

I'll bet she's selling them an animal research of something.

I'd tell her the cats can stay and we'll ship her off to a "sanctuary",

Oh, that's right, we call them mental hospitals.

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uncle Fester : I'd tell her the cats can stay and we'll ship her off to a "sanctuary",

Oh, that's right, we call them mental hospitals.

to funny ,no offence please .

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's just nuts! It sounds like some one that just likes the sound of their own voice, and does not actually intend to do anything. There was a lot of that going around here when it was decided to tear down an abandoned hotel that a bunch of what people thought were feral cats living in it. There were a few, but it turns out many of them were pets from the large neighborhood behind the hotel. People started keeping them in when there was a big issue brought up in the paper bout roaming cats. A lot of people in town, including several police officers, had been feeding the cats. The ones that were not pets were moved to an undisclosed location by the local animal rescue. They did not disclose the location because some people had threatened to "do away with" the homeless cats that were walking on their cars or killing birds.

charmsdad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others - very, very, very suspicious sounding. While my experience with sanctuaries has been limited, I don't know of any that isn't at or near capacity - and claiming that one will take in a large number of cats just does not sound viable at all.

George