She loves me... she loves me NOT!!

biancaboo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone experienced when a spouse or even a roommate is gone your cat is your best friend, then after your spouse or roommate comes home the cat wants nothing to do with you or will not give you the time of day? I am experiencing that now with my cat, she is finally warming up to me, she is my husbands "quote on quote" cat since she bonded with him better than me.  When my husband is gone she will lay on me and demand to be petted, but with my husband comes home she greets him by the door and tries to bite me if I come near her.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our last cat was like that. He was definitely a "momma's boy" who basically paid little attention to my husband unless I wasn't home. As he aged, he mellowed.

Who feeds your cat? Does she like to be brushed or combed? Do you play with her? Cats generally come round if you're providing most or much of their care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

biancaboo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Majority of the time I feed her, my husband is with her at night and I am with her during the day due to our work schedules. When she was a kitten we found her in a barn after her mother and rest of the litter had died from a unknown cause. So I had to play mother cat and bath her daily since she has long hair and a flat type for a face. My husband and I both play with her through the 24 hour period of the day, she tries to play a bit more aggressive with me however. We are working on brushing, she thinks it is a game and tries to grab the brush with both hands and put it in her mouth.

katnisskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Katniss does this! I feed her and bathe her and stuff but Terry (my fiancée) plays with her. I work night shift so he gets to be with her at night. Now when I'm home alone she follows me around and cuddles and stuff but as soon as terry opens the door, BAM! Daddy's cat! Makes me sad :/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

biancaboo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, our fur child is the same she even sleeps under the covers with him at night or sleeps with him or lays on his chest when he is on the computer in bed (I will have to post pictures of her, it looks like she is kinda laying on his face trying to block hiss view). I work nights too, so I understand where you are coming from she wants to play in the early morning because he gets her all riled up and then she wants to sleep. 

whiskylollipop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have heard of a tendency for cats, if given equal attention and love from two people of different sexes, generally prefering the human of the opposite sex. I don't think there's a creditable explanation for it, but anecdotally it seems to be true!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We haven't experienced the male/female preferences here, but we definitely have mamma's cats and daddy's cats!  Zoe is my baby girl for sure.  She loves us both but if hubby and I are both in the room, she will choose to snuggle with me.  Rico, her brother, is the opposite--SUCH a daddy's boy.  In five years, he's probably sat on my lap half a dozen times.  It isn't that he isn't affectionate--he just loves his daddy.  And then Ozzy is mamma's boy.  He sleeps with me every night.

Rico is like your cat, Biancaboo -- if daddy's not home, he's perfectly willing to put up with me as a substitute.  But the minute the front door opens and he knows dad is home, it's sayonara, mom!