She has disappeared - she's back!

sibbell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a gate put in a few days ago so that Sasha couldn't get get out of the garden. Yesterday she disappeared, I have no idea how she could have gotten out, but she is nowhere to be found. I've gone around and around the neighborhood but didn't find her. Before, the couple of times when she went out from my house, she was only gone for an hour or so. She has been declawed (not by me) so I am super anxious. I plan to put up flyers and go around the neighborhood again later, but if anyone has any other ideas I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks, I am frantic.

ckovacs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no. I am so sorry to hear this. Call all of the shelters in your area to alert them, just in case someone picked your baby up and brought her in.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I hope your cat returns soon.
I'll move this to Cats SOS for you.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kitties that have been declawed should not be let outside. They can't defend themselves. A gate isn't going to keep a cat in a yard, nor is a fence unless it is cat-proofed. They can still climb unless they are four-pawed declawed (which is illegal in most states)

Hopefully your kitty is close, but if she got scared and she knows she isn't complete and can't defend herself she would have run for cover-

www.lost-pets.org can give you tips on finding her and I hope you do.

I know you didn't declaw her- but people need to understand cats are fight or flight animals. Take away their weapons (their claws) they will flee- the question is how far? A cat with claws would stay close and defend the property- but without claws- hard to tell-

Good luck

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh dear, not another missing cat
. I am sending you "Sasha come home" vibes and pray she returns today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sibbell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Kitties that have been declawed should not be let outside. They can't defend themselves. A gate isn't going to keep a cat in a yard, nor is a fence unless it is cat-proofed. They can still climb unless they are four-pawed declawed (which is illegal in most states)

Hopefully your kitty is close, but if she got scared and she knows she isn't complete and can't defend herself she would have run for cover-

I know you didn't declaw her- but people need to understand cats are fight or flight animals. Take away their weapons (their claws) they will flee- the question is how far? A cat with claws would stay close and defend the property- but without claws- hard to tell-

Good luck
I don't need a lecture right now, so please don't respond.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so distressing. There is so much you can do to find Sasha. There is lots of sound advice on the website of the link given by hissy.

I'm praying for Yogi, Mike, Dusty, and Gemma, many times each day (and I hope I haven't missed anyone). I'll add Sasha to the list.

Come home Sasha!

Robin

cosabella

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She might be hiding nearby. After sunset when it is quiet, go outside and just sit and wait. Bring her favorite food and some of your dirty clothes. Keeping calling her as you wait.

sibbell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've called the shelters and also the police. Posted flyers last night, and walked around the neighborhood. No sign of her yet.
I was happy to see that Dusty came home, fingers crossed that Sasha will too.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Good luck
I wouldn't have ever said it like this, but this basically mirrors my thoughts.

My cat ran away only a week ago, and it was one of the scariest things to ever happen to me. He's an obese cat that has almost no outside experience and one night when the power went out, he slipped out the door. I cried so much and felt like a giant hole had opened in my heart. 5 hours later, he showed up. I wanted to strangle him and hug him to death at the same time. I hope your situation is similar to mine and she comes home straight away.

After that though, I would not let your cat outside unsupervised unless you have something like the Purrfest Fence installed. It's just too risky. :[

I'll be praying for her safe return.

sibbell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I put the gate in so that she would be safe. How she squeezed under it is beyond me, but the bottom line is that she is gone. If I could go back two days I would.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't think she could squeeze under it, then she most likely jumped over it. Cats can fit through spaces as small as their heads, so you have to keep that in mind when kitty escape-proofing your yard. Gates simply don't work for cats like they do for dogs.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by sibbell

I've called the shelters and also the police. Posted flyers last night, and walked around the neighborhood. No sign of her yet.
I was happy to see that Dusty came home, fingers crossed that Sasha will too.
Have you checked the link that hissy posted above? There are a lot of great ideas on it.

I hope she comes home soon.

sibbell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Have you checked the link that hissy posted above? There are a lot of great ideas on it.

I hope she comes home soon.
I did, it was very helpful. Also a link to Cats in the Bag, another helpful site.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by sibbell

I had a gate put in a few days ago so that Sasha couldn't get get out of the garden. Yesterday she disappeared, I have no idea how she could have gotten out, but she is nowhere to be found. I've gone around and around the neighborhood but didn't find her. Before, the couple of times when she went out from my house, she was only gone for an hour or so. She has been declawed (not by me) so I am super anxious. I plan to put up flyers and go around the neighborhood again later, but if anyone has any other ideas I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks, I am frantic.
I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty; I'm going through the same thing right now. Tomorrow will be a week since Gemma got out, but you may want to check my posts about her. I posted what I tried, so that others could see what is working/not working. I hope it can be of help. Also, many of the ideas came from the first link that Carolina put in her reply to my early posts. It's an excellent site. Basically, you determine which type of cat you have, and apply the appropriate search methods to your situation. Your cat could be a combination of 2 types, as well.