She-Cat From Hell goes to the vet

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, she's actually not THAT bad, but I got your attention. She is my Ariel, a silver-gray DLH with green eyes (looks very Nebelung like). She's exceptionally pretty, I think. I've had her a year. She had spent over 3 years at the shelter at that point. I got her because she was close friends with another cat I had, Sherman (who so sadly died of cancer after I only had him 10 months), and because she was unlikely to ever be adopted by anyone else.

She went in the shelter at 7 weeks old, and she may have been brought there in the first place because of her personality/temperament. They worked there on socializing her a lot. She was in a foster home for a while. She spent a year living in the office of one of the shelter directors - getting lots of attention. She was a "floor cat" for about 1.5 years - where she is among other cats and with lots of people around. She wouldn't let anyone close.

She's high strung. After a year she will come to me to be petted, if I'm sitting down. A favorite hangout of her's is on the big desk behind this computer. She lets me pet her there - even wants me to. But, if I walk over to her she freaks - starts yowling. She's always been like this, and that she lets me pet her now is big progress. I can't pick her up. In a year, I've never picked her up. I wanted to take her to the vet a couple of months ago (just a check-up) and she became a spitting, hissing, yowling, growling monster. I gave up.

But now she really had to go to the vet because her rabies shot was due and I live in a county that takes that seriously. I got the owner of my pet sitting service to come over and cat-wrangle her into the carrier. I'm just too chicken to do it myself. Even though I handle a lot of cats at the shelter where I volunteer each week, Ariel was more than I could handle. The cat-wrangler did the job, but she got scratched good in the process (bleeding even). It was upsetting to me, but the woman was fine with it.

So Ariel was in the carrier, along with the towel that had been used to get her in there, and she was none too happy. I felt shook up that the woman got hurt, and I felt bad that I was taking this difficult cat to my vet. But they were fine with her at the vet's, and Ariel was more or less fine. They picked her out of the carrier by the scuff of her neck. They handled her without gloves and got the job done. They are very gentle. They told me stories of much worse cats that they see - including about 12 a year that they can't handle at all. They go from their carriers into an aquarium that they pump gas into to put the cats out so they can be examined and given shots.

I usually only have my cats get 1 year rabies shots because they are safer and I want them to have a physical exam each year. But I asked for the 3 year rabies shot for Ariel. I'm hoping that over the next 3 years I can learn to handle her and have her learn to not freak out at being handled. She also had the Rhino/Calici/Panleuk annual shot. My plan is that she won't have that again until she has to go in for the rabies shot again - or some other reason she'd have to go in before. My other cats will all be kept undated, and therefore I'm hoping that will be good enough to protect her. She's almost 4.5 years old and had that shot every year. The head tech at the vet's seemed to think this plan was good. What do you think?

My vet, who I think a lot of and have been going to for 25 years, talked to me about declawing her. He's concerned as to how I would ever give her medication should the time come (and it probably will if she lives long). He told me about laser declawing and how much better it is than the old methods. He said I could watch a video about it on line that shows how fast a cat recovers from it. But, I'm very against declawing and I don't want to do that. Still, I'm going to think about it, long term. I have another cat also that I would never be able to give medication to. Both he and Ariel have had physical problems that caused them to have a lot of procedures and medications at the shelter. It has made them difficult to handle. I can pick him up, though. However, that took a year. I couldn't trim their claws either.

Anyway, she's home, and it's over, and only one person got hurt.

Robin

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Declawing would do no good. If only the front claws were taken, you'd just get kicked by the back ones. That's what one of my fussy ones does anyways and she has managed to leave some long scratches on me.
Some cats, if they feel trapped enough and can't use their claws will turn to biting.
For my flighty female, if I want to do much of anything to her, or give her meds that can't be put into a pill pocket, I just have to towel her. She hates it but forgives me quickly (or forgets quickly, I'm not sure). Like your girl, catching mine for certain things is very difficult. I've had to become sneaky at getting the pet carrier ready.
Tanna yowls, growls, hisses, when she's upset, too. She doesn't like me walking up to her sometimes and hates being carried. (but is a lap cat?)
All I can suggest to help you along with your girl is bribing her.

I also have a semi feral outside that trusts my DH and I, but is scared of everyone else... even he behaves better than Tanna.
He has manners enough not to hiss at me.

I'm glad she behaved herself at the vet. It's amazing how their behavior can flip there. Either becoming the easiest cat to handle, ever (because they're spooked and frozen), or going from gentle and sweet to psycho kitty,

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your plan with the shots is a great idea. I'd probably have done the same. I'm on the fence about declawing in your case and pretty much against it in all other cases. If she were my cat, I'd consider how declawing can in some instances create new behavioral problems and would wonder if it would be worth it if in the end it turned out to make her bite worse or something like that.

FYI, I'm also the owner of a pet sitting company and I absolutely love it when I'm able to help clients with tricky situations such as yours. It's why I do what I do! I'm betting your pet sitter probably feels the same. After all, no one ever got rich off pet sitting. We do it because we love it, scratches and all!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before - when she had no idea:

See photo below.

Shortly after coming home - as if nothing had happened - and in her favorite bed:

See below.

Help! How do I post an image here? I did read the directions under the FAQ - but it's awfully complicated for me. Apparently, I didn't do it right. I have my photos on photobucket, I copied the code and pasted it into the box that appears after clicking on the photo icon here in this reply box. But all I got was the code in the post.

I also read the "How to Post Pictures" thread. Is that supposed to make any sense to me? I really don't get it.

At least I did get an image on a cat's page for one of my cats. And I see it's now on top by my name. It's so tiny, though. You can't hardly see him (Claude).

Robin

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, more and new behavior problems from declawing is what I fear. Don't know if I could towel her or wrap her, though.

I don't know what I'll do about Ariel. Probably nothing at this point. Maybe she'll get better.

My petsitter company owner (she actually isn't my petsitter herself - she has 10 who work for her) said that she has other clients who she helps out for the same reason. She didn't even want to get paid today. She said she was just doing it to help me. I gave her $20 anyway. She donates tons of supplies to the shelter I volunteer at. She can always use it for that. These petsitter people are very special.

Robin

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to click IMG or IMG thumb. You're clicking html link.

For an embedded image it must start with http:// and end with [/ IMG]
Thumbnails need the [url=http [/URL] bit around the [IMG]

Great! You got it! If in doubt, always look at how other people do it. [img]https://statich.thecatsite.com/images/smilies/agree.gif And yes, she looks a little annoyed/unsettled in the second pic (hanging out in her hide-y spot) but not distressed. I had a girl kitty that looked much like her when I was a young child - she was a very strong willed kitty, too.

My little spazzy cat, Tanna, will run and hide under the bed after vet visits and doesn't want much to do with me for a couple hours.. unless I give her food.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Callie was declawed when she wandered into my life many years ago. While she's a great cat, she does have some behavior issues that I think stem from her declawing. For that reason, I wouldn't recommend it. It seems like nowadays there's many places you can get meds compounded into treats and things like that. I've even ground some pills up and mixed in with wet food to get meds in my kitties. I would cross the pilling bridge when you get there and continue working on socializing your beautiful girl.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the support, input, advice, help and compliments! I'm not going to do anything regarding declawing (shudder). I'm going to just keep working on desensitizing Ariel to being handled. When (and if) the time comes that I have to give her (and/or Claude) pills, I will explore the options.

All is well, now. She just arrived at her place behind the computer and she is looking at me as I type this. No grudges.

I'm so glad to be able to post photos at last. I had the camera about 4 years, and I just learned to use it - mainly so I could post photos of my cats. However, I don't think I'm good at it yet. Ariel's much lovelier than she looked in the pictures I took. Her fur is really silvery on the tips. It doesn't show. And her eyes look yellow, but they are pale green.

The "thumbnails" directions still are as clear as mud to me. I guess I'll deal with that should the need/want arise. Thanks again so much for the help, strangewings.

Love the photo by the way strangwings, with the Thomas's head in the box. Does he like Chinese carry-out?

Robin

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On photobucket there's a IMG Thumb code, that's for your thumbnails. You can copy and paste it straight into your post but when someone clicks on it the link will take them to the full sized picture in your photobucket instead of just the picture. To fix that you look at the code you pasted and take out the ?action=view&current= part. Then the link is fixed and just opens to a nice clean larger picture.

And Tomas has fished a takeout box from the trash in the past. He smelled terrible after, since like in that picture he stuck his head in it.
The box in that picture is simply a little box out of some electronics we bought, it had a cord and adapter in it. Tomas has yet to figure out that he can't fit himself into every box, so he tries no matter how small they are.

And your pictures of Ariel look good. It's really hard to get lighting correct to show things perfectly and unless you have a $1k+ camera you're not going to get the really high end results. Looking up tutorials and tips on lighting and just taking photos in general may help you a little. But for a regular consumer model camera (which I assume you have unless you often spend $1k on things you don't use for years
) your photos look fine.
Black cats are hard and you have to play with light a little. So don't get discouraged if that takes some practice. You can also fix some things in any image or photo editing program.

2coolcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry Ariel is so difficult! One of my kitties can be super stubborn but sounds nothing like poor Ariel. I do have a bag of Composure chews. My vet suggested them. Maybe you could give one to Ariel before stressful situations to try and mellow her out?

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know what Composure chews are, but I'll investigate. Thanks!

I do have Felaway diffusers going all the time. I've heard about Bach's Rescue Remedy and other herbal cures. But, I don't know if they will work, and I'm a bit apprehensive about that. There are a lot of "flavors."

I will eventually try out more ways to use photobucket and the camera. Right now I'm pretty proud of myself that I got this far, and I feel like I spent a lot of time on learning to use the camera and upload photos (and I still wouldn't have been able to do it without strangewings's help). It's a Canon PowerShot A570IS and I got it free as a bonus when I bought my last computer. I find it rather complicated. But as you can tell, I'm technologically challenged.

Ariel trotted right over to me a while ago to be petted. She will do that sometimes, but only if I'm sitting down. Walking over to her and attempting to pick her up is what really sets her off. I think I will try walking over to her - like when she is sitting on one of those kitty window shelves in the photo - but doing nothing at first but standing there. Gradually I'll attempt to touch her then.

I don't know anything about bribing cats because I don't give them treats. Years ago I did, but so many kinds the cats I had then didn't like, that I gave them up. I think a lot of them are like junk food anyway. But maybe if I can find something they would like and would be good for them, I'd try it.

Robin

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet is a totally different equation as to how your cat will act.

Last Dec Mama our outside feral had a rectal prolapse(essentially her intestines were hanging out of her butthole.) It took me 3 or 4 days to finally get her in a carrier. We were having subzero windchills and almost subzero actually temps at the time(I honestly have no idea how she survived.) I started calling rescues as I knew I couldn't afford to get her treated at a vet. Well, the ones that would take her(she's FeLV+) were all full. One gave me a low cost vet. I warned them that I couldn't promise Mama wouldn't rip their face off or otherwise maim them(I knew the TNR place had to knock her out to even remove her from her carrier to spay her.) I brought a carrier covered with a towel with a hissing, growling, angry cat into the office. They opened the carrier and out walks Mama and starts loving on everyone. They did have to sedate her so they could get her into a small carrier to get her in a cage(they were going to have to shave her rear end bald and put her intestines back in the way they came out so she as going to have to be sedated no matter what) because I did say I knew she did not like being picked up, I had to scruff her to get her in the carrier to even get her to the vet, I still have to scruff her if I need to lift/carry her for any reason.

Everyone at the vet loved her saying how sweet she was. BTW- Mama hissed and growled and did the wrong angry kitty the entire way home from the vet once they released her.

She was way better behaved than Maude, who had to be handled in full riot gear and who bit a giant chunk out of Paul's arm after her rabies shot(the vet was shocked and horrified, he had never seen a cat do that before) she just walked over and ripped a chunk out of him, she was mad.

Attitude was great at the vet and well behaved on her harness and leash in the waiting room, but she was there so often that I couldn't expect anything different, she was used to it. Nuts has always been well behaved a the vet as well, just don't try to give him liquid meds(the vet wormed him with a liquid wormer and I think the vet ended up consuming more than Nuts did, forgot to warm him that Nuts wasn't like Attitude who would take liquid meds without a fuss.)

Like I said you never know how a cat will react at the vet, some mean cats are total sweethearts at the vet and some total sweetheart cats become psycho killer cats.

Also, there is nothing wrong with an occasional bribe using treats, even if they aren't healthy. Why do you think pediatricians give out lollypops(and dog groomers dog treats) after appointments? Because it works. Bobby still wants me to give him the lollypop container before we leave his ped's office so he can pick out his lollypop. If treats work I'd say use it to your advantage.

Taryn

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Black cats are hard and you have to play with light a little. So don't get discouraged if that takes some practice. You can also fix some things in any image or photo editing program.
So true! Two of my boys are black and I find it hard to get a good snap shot of them!