She begs way to much and idk what to do

GamingPlusPlus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Title explains it all but, so basically my cat begs for food way to much and I'm not talking about the regular begging I'm talking about every dang minute for dry food. The thing is my cat used to be a little overweight and would throw up a lot but that stopped. I have/had been feeding her science diet and she's 5ish maybe 6 but when she begs she gets me feeling sympathetic (sad) I love my cat but idk what to do

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A trip to the vet is always good to rule out possible medical issue that may be causing an increase in hunger such as diabetes.

How much food are you feeding daily and how often? It is only dry food?

If your cat is getting plenty of food, you may just need to put in ear plugs or otherwise ignore the constant demands for more food.

Redirect the cat's attention to toys. Some cats are "needy" and meow for attention, not necessarily more food.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she get wet food? Wet food keeps cats has more protein in it and keeps cats satisfied longer. It should be their main diet, especially if they tend to be overweight.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are going to stay with all dry food, get an timed automatic feeder. That way, the cat will realize that you never respond to the begging and stop bugging you . . . eventually. You could get the same effect by only putting down dry three times a day at specific times, maybe even set an alarm on your phone that the cats hear, and ignoring the whining at all other times. Might take a little longer.

Moist food is a bit more expensive, but at least putting it down as the final meal of the day will be well worth it for your sanity. As noted above, it does help them feel more full.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually when one of my cat acts hungry she really just wants to play or needs attention. My cats get wet 3x a day. Mornings she comes back and forth for more 2x. Sometimes only for a few bites til she is satisfied exactly 3 oz in morning. Feeding her late at night with a timed feeder has helped. Just be sure not to add on to her morning portion. Her playtime is soon after eating and when I get up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GamingPlusPlus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my cats original plan for eating
Wet Food Am
Dry Food once in a bowl at noon(can't have more after cause it's a decent size bowl and amount)
Wet Food Pm which is 4:45 or 5ish
After that is she's wanting dry food again and I get all anxiety mode if I don't (one thing I hate about me)

GamingPlusPlus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you are going to stay with all dry food, get an timed automatic feeder. That way, the cat will realize that you never respond to the begging and stop bugging you . . . eventually. You could get the same effect by only putting down dry three times a day at specific times, maybe even set an alarm on your phone that the cats hear, and ignoring the whining at all other times. Might take a little longer.

Moist food is a bit more expensive, but at least putting it down as the final meal of the day will be well worth it for your sanity. As noted above, it does help them feel more full.
Automatic feeders are expensive but I wish there was decent ones at a good price

GamingPlusPlus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does she get wet food? Wet food keeps cats has more protein in it and keeps cats satisfied longer. It should be their main diet, especially if they tend to be overweight.
Yes she does breakfast and supper

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes she does breakfast and supper
Then I would practice ignoring her. It isn’t easy to do but if you give in even once she learns that meowing incessantly results in getting fed. Maybe try offering her a little catnip. It can mellow them out and take her mind off of food, at least for a little while.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would give one more small can of wet food before bedtime around 8-10 pm or whenever you go to bed and leave it out overnight.
A good wet food that is low in carbs. Dry food high in carbs or wet food with high sugars and carbs leads to weight gain. A good wet food won't do that.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have timers but I set my alarm 5am,get up,open the containers,and watch them eat. Then back to bed. There are timers for canned food 20. something dollars. Check this out to get an idea of what to feed

Catfooddb.com