She ate some bacon and butter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she is now an indoor cat I don't know if this can be posted here or has to be in my feral thread but she got a hold of 3 bites of my bacon and a little butter patty before I could stop her. Mom won't buy the no salt type butter. Is she (the cat) going to be ok?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She'll be fine.
Maybe just add a little extra water to her next meal in case she's a little thirsty and if she doesn't tend to drink much from bowls.
My cats get into our butter all the time...I only ever have salted. I've even given butter to my cats to help with hairballs in a pinch.
And as for the bacon...again, she'll be fine, maybe just a bit thirsty...no need to worry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you. She's such a picky eater I was honestly surprised that she got into that. Is there any cat food that may have that bacon and butter flavor to it but ok for cats to eat? She's also pretty picky about texture. Non of the Wellness or Blue Buffalo is touched by her. She doesn't like Freshpet, not fond of chicken, only eats a certain type of turkey, can't stand eggs, doesn't like catnip, and Weruva in the pouch she'll turn her nose up at. She's not a playful cat at all and it makes me wonder if that's why her previous owners dumped her. Sad really, as she does love being near me. She's only 2 years old so I'm stumped. And of course with all this pet food recall it worries me.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats handle fat well. There isn't enough salt in butter to be harmful. Some people give their cats a pat of butter every week to prevent hairballs. There are some flavors of Friskies canned food that say they have bacon in them but I doubt they're using actual salted bacon. Might be worth a try though.

But also some cats just like to steal food for the thrill. If you put it in their dish they won't eat it, lol.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I, too, give Feeby some margarine/butter to help with hairballs. And, Feeby gets bites of my bacon a couple times a week. She loves it!
She has also never been an avid player. Pretty much the only thing she has ever liked to play with more than once is an old shoe string.

You could try Friskies Party Mix (treat), one of them has bacon flavor in it although it also has chicken & turkey. Another has just turkey/gravy flavoring - there are other flavors as well. I have started crunching up some of them and mixing it with Feeby's food when she starts to turn her nose up at it, and she will eat most of it that way. For me, I am wondering if it is the bacon flavored ones that attracts her!! She has never cared for any food toppers of any kind.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
She doesn't look good. I don't get it. She ate the bacon and butter but now she looks bad. Ugh I always do stupid stuff. :(

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sparkle would eat a whole stick of butter if we let her (we try not to let her, but she'll sneak it), and I've given Lelia bacon before. So I can't see how it would hurt her.

Lelia tends to look bad right before passing a hairball. Maybe the butter is making something come out.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope so and not a possible sickness I passed on (as I still believe this was not just a pulled muscle). I find it odd that the raccoons wouldn't even eat last night and raccoons will eat til they explode if you have never watched one.

Treasure isn't eating either and even though Tourmaline is now inside I feed all of them the same thing. I just wasn't sure if that was too much salt at one time.

And none of them like chicken, tuna, mayonnaise, or even baby food to get them to eat. Tourmaline is pickier. She doesn't like chicken and on most days doesn't like turkey.

Last edited:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Gohan always turned his nose up at bacon (or worse gagged on it. Thanks cat) but bacon grease is a different story. If we leave it out to cool we often find cute little tongue marks in it :rolleyes2: so we get rid of it right away now. He’s definitely licked salted butter too. Never had any ill effects from it.

So one of your kitties is indoor now? That’s exciting, hows is that working out?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Tourmaline is very ill. Thankfully a friend of mine is coming to get her to a vet for me (crazy woman Mom thing ya know). She's weak and can barely stand. See Mom doesn't know Tourmaline is in basement at nights. Bad reaction to the bacon and butter yesterday? Anyway I need your prayers and good thoughts and I know I may get my hand slapped but Tourmaline trusted me and then I let her down. Not asking medical advice, just prayers and good thoughts.

We still need good thoughts and prayers. This is just absolutely horrible. She looked so sad when my friend put her in the carrier :(

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now she's on her way to the vet. Not because of the bacon and butter but because she's very weak, can barely stand. Mom doesn't know that she's here, I bring her in at night and have to let her join Treasure and Sopdet during the day. But she's a very sick cat right now. I'm so worried about her. :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
So my friend brought some sardines to see if she could entice Tourmaline to eat. She couldn't so after she left with Tourmaline I threw the sardines over the fence for Onyx who was being run off by Treasure. Instead Treasure and Sopdet got to the sardines and ate it and Treasure stole some of my blueberry muffin I stupidly placed on the ledge outside. Are these two going to be sick next? I can't believe I do such stupid stuff. :(

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Well I hope she’s ok. It’s really rough, there are so many things out of our control. ♥

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are pretty resilient - obviously somet hogs are actually toxic like garlic and onion, but when it comes to salty canned fish or blueberry muffins it’s most likely about amount and frequency. One time likely won’t hurt them.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok. Well my friend did get her to eat a bit. They want to see how she eats first as they know I don't have that much money. I may have to wind up giving tourmaline to my friend, which may be for her own well being. At least she'd be with a friend of mine that I can visit if it comes to that.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet demanded payment right away and she didn't have that on her. She had to go home to get wallet but then called into hospital to work emergency. Her uncle is watching Tourmaline now and got her to eat just a little. I'm pacing back and forth with worry. I'm so sad. She trusted me and then this happens. :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
She's not out of the woods, please I still need lots and lots more positive thoughts headed her way. My friend is at work or she will lose her job and I'm down again with my back so this just gets worse by the minute. :(

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's not out of the woods, please I still need lots and lots more positive thoughts headed her way. My friend is at work or she will lose her job and I'm down again with my back so this just gets worse by the minute. :(
Praying 🙏🏼

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
She's no longer here. She's at emergency vet, but my friend who will take her for a few days I'll tell her. I unfortunately may have to go to the human ER for whatever is going on with me. God I hope it isn't Covid. If so I'm spreading it to 5 cats and an elderly mother.