Shaving my Cat need help

werra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it ok to use barber razor for human for my cat? What size (mm) of blade should I use?

Reason for shaving: He has matted fur and need to be shave completely. I know I am at fault for not combing his coat  regularly but right now I just want to make him feel comfortable by shaving his coat.

Is it ok to do this at home or should I really bring him to pet grooming services?

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really would be better to take him to a groomer, and to also get them to show you how to groom him and what sort of comb to use.  It's awful easy to damage their skin, and/or upset them if you do it yourself.  And plan to comb it every day once it's coming back, so he and you get used to it.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also go to a groomer or vet, cats have very thin skin that's easy to accidentally cut

Many human clippers cannot get through cat coats

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it ok to use barber razor for human for my cat? What size (mm) of blade should I use?

Reason for shaving: He has matted fur and need to be shave completely. I know I am at fault for not combing his coat  regularly but right now I just want to make him feel comfortable by shaving his coat.

Is it ok to do this at home or should I really bring him to pet grooming services?
get a whal pet hair clipper do not use human razer or clippers

schmoots64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have six long haired, extreme face Persians and they do get matted hair....very much so. I shave them myself with Andis pet clippers with the No. 10 steel blade. Not the ceramic blades as you can not have those resharpened and they do not cut well. Trust me, cats DO NOT like to be shaved or manhandled what so ever, so it can take some time. If  the hair is extremely matted you will want to do as much as they will tolerate in on sitting and then give them a break. Clean your clippers, re-oil them, let them cool down and then start again. Remember, where the skin is more likely to get nicked is where it folds, where it is loose, so pull that tight (not stretching it) but where it is not hanging losely and then shave. There are videos online that can show you how to do it correctly. Taking them to a vet is one way of getting it done, but them might sedate them (which I don't think is a good idea at all) and pet groomers DO nick your pets, as I have experienced that in many places.

All my cats range from different ages and some tolerate it more than others. But none of them are enthused about having it done. I have even got bit a few times, but only because I did not give them a break from it and they had all they could handle. My bad. Anyway....it does take time with very matted cases, so have patients. It is very uncomfortable for them to have their fur matted, like someone is pulling on their fur constantly...:eek:(