Shanky's spay operation

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shanky's Blood Test Results:
1524ef2e-6902-4890-863c-2b0a01db030f.jpg

Note: Ignore the bold font. The reference range used to bold bad values is not applicable to cats.

Vet has scheduled spay surgery for this Tuesday.
He initially suggested we wait a month (after seeing low platelet count and learning about diarrhea), I told him Terry might try to mate, and asked him what to do. He then said we'll start some treatment, and do the surgery during the treatment, and continue the treatment. That it should be fine.

The treatment: 2 antibiotics for 10 days, such that surgery comes on the 3rd day of the course.
I do not quite understand why we need this tbh. Her WBC is normal, so there's no infection, so why give antibiotics!? What is he treating, i didn't get it. Also, what's with waiting to start antibiotics just to make the surgery fall on the 3rd day of antibiotics? I didn't get any explanations, and I was too confused to know what to ask for specifically.

Here are some questions I asked about the procedure and the answers I was given. Only few were answered by the doctor, he then directed me to the nurses and moved on to another case.
  • Pre-op tests: No pre-op tests are required for spaying cats. Not even CBC or even a physical examination.
  • Duration: The cat will be given back unconscious in ~30 mins to be taken back home.
  • The cat will not be woken up using reversal anesthetic shots, but will wake up on its own in 2-3 hours.
  • Monitoring: Pulse, oxygen, etc - none of this will be monitored during or after the surgery.
    • I did read that cats are at more risk after waking up from anesthesia than while being under. So, if there's anything I can do at home to monitor them, or if there are any signs that I should look out for, do let me know.
  • Typical complications and what to look out for: No cat has apparently ever had a complication. Yep, they literally said that, I even asked them repeatedly hoping for a better answer. I specifically asked for bleeding, strokes, not waking up from anesthesia, pregnancy later, etc. They said there might have been bleeding, but it's never an issue the owner has to worry about. Nothing else has ever happened apparently, in the last 15 years...
  • No, they do not handle emergency care following the surgery. I would have to find some other hospital for that. Was told I would never need it anyways.
  • Technique:
    • They will remove the ovaries and the uterus.
    • Endotracheal tube will be used, but no IV will be used. Anesthesia provided as gas. No IV fluids.
    • No heating blanket will be used.
  • Pain meds: Will be given on the day of the surgery, it is applicable for 3 days. After that, if required, it may be provided during bandage changes. Nothing to administer at home.
  • Instructions:
    • Pre-op:
      • Fasting and no water - for 6 hours prior to surgery
      • Bring towel, basket and payment.
    • Post-op:
      • Cat has to wear cone for 1 week
      • Bring the cat in as per given schedule
        • 2-3 times for bandage changes
        • 1 week after surgery - sutures will be removed (sutures are not absorbable)
      • No dietary restrictions. No particular movement restrictions. Just keep them in a room.
    • That's it. No other instructions were given.
I know that the standards followed in the west involve a lot more safeguards.
But I don't have much options here, and I'm going with this vet, I guess.
So, if you have any suggestions, tips or guidance that I can implement to make it safer, please do let me know. I will definitely try my best to provide for Shanky. But I also don't want to get anxious about things out of my control. Sometimes, ignorance really is bliss, I suppose.

Shanky's status for surgery imo - generally healthy except the following:
  • Diarrhea - risk of slower recovery?
  • Low platelet count (A month ago, Shanky had 290, now it is 180, despite taking a supplement for it everyday. Vet said it's bad that it has reduced this much and needs to be ideally 250) - risk of blood loss?
  • Could be 1-2 weeks pregnant (worst case), but probably not
It should be fine, right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Surgery's done. Shanky's home. She's got a cool dress. She's conscious, stumbled around a bit, but hasn't properly woken up yet. Sleeping baby.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hope you're all feeling better and that recovery for the surgery goes smoothly. You all deserve at least that much after everything lately.

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, A Alldara ! Such kind words.
We're pretty lucky to have you with us. Hope you and your pets are doing great!

Last edited:

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
mani mani
Can I please request you to change the title to "Terry and Shanky"?

I believe we're now past that infection. There may still be lingering consequences, but I also want to discuss other things about the kitties, keeping in mind their backgrounds, perhaps.

Please let me know if you think any other title would be more suitable or if there's a standard in the community that I am not aware of.

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shanky is super restless. She's not comfortable at any spot in the house. She keeps walking forever. Putting her in the basket makes her thrash and scream. Putting her in some spots sometimes gets her to sleep there for a few minutes before starting to escape again.

She's very pissed with me, violently escaping from me, and biting me for the first time in her life. She doesn't trust me. How long do cats that realise you forced surgery on them, take to trust you again?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Shanky is super restless. She's not comfortable at any spot in the house. She keeps walking forever. Putting her in the basket makes her thrash and scream. Putting her in some spots sometimes gets her to sleep there for a few minutes before starting to escape again.

She's very pissed with me, violently escaping from me, and biting me for the first time in her life. She doesn't trust me. How long do cats that realise you forced surgery on them, take to trust you again?
Does she have pain medication? It's more likely she's in pain and not that she doesn't trust you.

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does she have pain medication? It's more likely she's in pain and not that she doesn't trust you.
Ok, that's scary too. Yes, vet said they've given her long acting pain meds valid for 3 days.

She still moves around positions, but she's stopped walking around, she's curled around leaning on me for a couple hours now. Just a few hours ago, she wouldn't even let me touch her. Now, she won't break skin contact from me for even a second.

She does groan now and then while just lying down, so the poor kitty is probably in pain like you're saying. She must have kept moving around due to the pain and when I was trying to control her, she probably felt too sensitive, upset and panicked. Makes sense. I expected the pain meds to be more effective though.

Effects of anesthesia wearing off can cause these symptoms, and I agree, she needs 3 days of pain meds after spay surgery.
Good to know, I was worried about her walking too much that soon.

Also, folks, the vet bandaged up the incision telling me not to open it, and when I asked how I can check her incision site for swelling, redness or oozing, he said to bring her in only if it's visible through the bandage. Is this alright? This way I won't be able to check for any redness at all, maybe swelling, only bleeding will be obvious. Or should I ignore his instructions?
Btw it's external sutures, so maybe it's ok to keep the bandage?

Regarding the temperature after anesthesia, I repeatedly asked the vet, but they don't use any heating pads at all, they just said "meh, it's not needed". But I read heating them up helps speed up recovery, idk how. Her temperature was just 95 after surgery, so I covered her with blankets on our way home and used a heating pad for an hour until she woke up and said "no more" :p
All this heating and warmth is only required until her temperature becomes normal, right? After that, just ice packs on the incision site now and then?

Her respiratory rate keeps varying between normal and high (75 per min). Is that normal too?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What pain medication does she have?

It's been a long time since I had a pet before they had their surgery.

I think only if she wants the heat or ice. Don't push anything in either direction.

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She now has a fever of 103.4 and consistently high respiratory rate. I'm quite worried. The vet office reopens in 6 hours and the vet doctor is available in 9 hours. Is this normal or should I take her to some emergency vet?
I came across postoperative fever as a thing in humans, but couldn't find anything significant on cats.

Just to add, she vomited once upon being given ketamine and twice at home after surgery. I was told vomiting is normal for 24 hours, still mentioning it.
She hasn't drunk water or eaten yet. It's been 13 hours since anesthesia was administered.

What pain medication does she have?

It's been a long time since I had a pet before they had their surgery.

I think only if she wants the heat or ice. Don't push anything in either direction.
Got it.
The vet didn't mention any names, the report only mentions Xylazine, Ketamine and Isoflurance. None of them seem like pain meds to me.
I asked him specifically about it 3 times, and he assured me it's taken care of for 3 days. It is possible I have been misled or they could have missed it in the report. I read that the absence of analgesics can cause pain enough to end up in a fever too.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would see another vet if she has fever. I’ve never had a cat be bandaged after a spay, vomit, or run a fever. Pain meds would be something like metacam or buprenorphine. My cats have always wanted to eat and drink fairly soon after surgery as well. None of what you describe seems normal to me.

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would see another vet if she has fever. I’ve never had a cat be bandaged after a spay, vomit, or run a fever. Pain meds would be something like metacam or buprenorphine. My cats have always wanted to eat and drink fairly soon after surgery as well. None of what you describe seems normal to me.
Thank you for your quick response.

The emergency vet is available only in 1.5 hours. While our vet's office opens in 2.5 hours. Should I wait to ask them about the pain meds and the fever then go to the other vet or go to another vet anyways!?
I need to mention that the other vet is not exactly a better vet either, just a different person, that's all. And they have severe transparency issues and suspected of large scale fraud, unlike our vet who is usually transparent but forgets things.

I am in a different country, so some differences in practice are fine. I read that vomiting the night of the surgery happens and is okay. They did show me the incision site before bandaging her up in front of me, so that's ok too. The lack of eating and drinking may be related to the fever.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Surgery's done. Shanky's home. She's got a cool dress. She's conscious, stumbled around a bit, but hasn't properly woken up yet. Sleeping baby.
Aww poor baby, I hope she recovers well, give her a smooch🤗🐾

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have never had any of my girl kitties react that way, I hope she is ok ❤ She needs pain meds as others said.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She now has a fever of 103.4 and consistently high respiratory rate. I'm quite worried. The vet office reopens in 6 hours and the vet doctor is available in 9 hours. Is this normal or should I take her to some emergency vet?
I came across postoperative fever as a thing in humans, but couldn't find anything significant on cats.

Just to add, she vomited once upon being given ketamine and twice at home after surgery. I was told vomiting is normal for 24 hours, still mentioning it.
She hasn't drunk water or eaten yet. It's been 13 hours since anesthesia was administered.

Got it.
The vet didn't mention any names, the report only mentions Xylazine, Ketamine and Isoflurance. None of them seem like pain meds to me.
I asked him specifically about it 3 times, and he assured me it's taken care of for 3 days. It is possible I have been misled or they could have missed it in the report. I read that the absence of analgesics can cause pain enough to end up in a fever too.
I don’t think those are pain meds, they are for anesthesia. I am not sure what they use for girls now. For Quinn they said they gave him one injection. I can’t remember what it was now. Boys don’t need much as it is an easier surgery. For a girl they need to be kept quiet, and not jump around etc. they usually mostly just sleep for a few days. If she has a high fever take her in. How are you taking her temperature?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Go to the vet with whom you feel most comfortable. I’m sorry you and your kitty are going through this. I hope the vet can provide an anti-inflammatory for relief, and ensure there is no infection.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
mani mani
Can I please request you to change the title to "Terry and Shanky"?

I believe we're now past that infection. There may still be lingering consequences, but I also want to discuss other things about the kitties, keeping in mind their backgrounds, perhaps.

Please let me know if you think any other title would be more suitable or if there's a standard in the community that I am not aware of.
N Nilo that's not really how it works on forums :)
As you can see we've moved the posts about Shanky's spay to it's own thread here as it's a totally new topic and a different cat from where it all began. Things relating to Terry can stay in that thread unless it's something very new and unconnected with previous issues. Chatty/fun things etc can go into The Cat's Meow. You may also like to introduce yourself and the pussycats in our New Cats on the Block forum; it's never to late. :)

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shanky is doing better, folks.
Our own vet said she's fine, she's just taking some extra time.

Vet confirmed he gave her the pain medication. Must have been missed in the report. But my request for it's name was ignored.

Her temperature dropped to 99.8 after the fever. They said anesthesia can cause these temperature fluctuations in some cats. It's apparently ok if it's below 104.5. Probably like the post operative fever in humans.

They told us to give 24 hours for her to start to improve and 48 hours for her metabolism to return to normal.

We both slept off for hours, after the relief.
She finally woke up and licked some liquidy gravy just now, she doesn't want to drink water though.
She even peed once.

My bad, mani mani , I can see it now. Sorry for the inconvenience and work I've caused you. I'll do it right from next time. Thank you very much for completely fixing it for me! Thank you for the gentle guidance.

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I asked such weird questions regarding the vets, feels embarrassing now. Guess my lack of sleep caused confusion. Thank you for having my back throughout the day.

Meowmee Meowmee Hey, how's your back?
Got it. Yeah, Shanky's been sleeping a lot like you're saying.
Wait, is it bad to check her temperature rectally? A nurse did it for Shanky at the vet and I've been doing the same. She hasn't protested.

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shanky's doing better. She's started eating different wet foods. She has peed and pooped, taken her antibiotic meds, cleaned herself.

Her temperature is not yet normal though, has been on the lower end the last 3 times. Lowest being 98.3 and highest 99.9.

She asked to meet Terry and she licked him all over. She's been asking to leave the room when she can hear Terry play or call from outside the door, but I don't let her.