Sex Despite Spayed? Are Female Cats Actively Seeking It?

playerdark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I have a female cat that lives in my garden. It was a stray cat that came a year ago and stayed when I gave her food. I guess she must be 2-3 years old. She was very friendly from the beginning so I could take her to the vet early on. He found out that she is neutralized since he found the surgery scar on her belly.
So far no problems.
Now for a few eeks there is a young male on our street. He is also very friendly not shy or wild at all. I am not sure if he is neutered, I have planned to trap him and take him to the vet for a while but haven't done because I originally thought he was neutered from a look at the testicle. There is no bulge there so I thought he might already be neutered.

Now some days ago our cat wasn't in the garden and per chance I looked out the front window at night and saw her sitting in the middle of the walkway and the male cat a few steps away by the food bowl I put out for him. I was able to lure the male away and get our kitty to come into the house and back through the back door.

Today she was missing again, before nightfall even. After dark I went to the front to give the male cat something to eat and while I was on one side of the property he came apparently out of the bushes on the other side by his bowl.

So I went over and put the food down and was kneeling by him while he was eating since I wanted to check him out closer. That's when I heard a low growl. I thought it was him and it sounded dangerous so I didn't touch him any further. Soon he walked away without eating much and that's when I heard the grwol/howling again and realized it was from under the bush. I quickly noticed it was our cat sitting there hiding. I was able to get her back into the garden without problem where she was kinda agitated, licking herself and lying on the ground which she doesn't do usually when I am around. She then settled in her favorite chair.

Now this whole thing left me puzzled. I thought when cats are spayed that would also take away their drive for sex/adventuring away from home? Could she actively be seeking this male cat? The male is pretty young, I guess a year. Also he is pretty thin. I don't know what to make of all this. I haven't noticed any smell nor did he show any sign of spraying, which was another reason why I thought he might be fixed. What if he is fixed? Could my cat seek him out despite that?

Any ideas would be helpful

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds more like he is encroaching on her territory seeking out her dinner. It was why we stopped feeding the garage kitty in the garage. It fed the possums & attracted strays. I would start feeding her inside. If you are going to feed him, pick him up, carry him to the front yard & feed him there. Or just start leaving the food by your front door while she is inside eating. He will figure it out quickly enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

playerdark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyway I intend to trap the male and take him to the vet. I dont know if he is neutered or not, but he could use the usual vaccinations and checkout and such