severe stomatitis

hannahbrowne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello all im new, i do hope you can help me
i fear the worst and im sooo upset
my cat heather is 11 years old indoor cat and 19 months ago underwent full teeth extraction due to plasmatic gingerstomatitis faucet the vet called it after a mouth biopsy shes never improved despite having extraction
i have been wrapping her in a towel to feed her 2 to 3 times a day as she has never ate and drank herself since the operation
shes not the same
she lives in a cat bed in mu bedroom
she has applaws pate and priobiotics 4ml loxicom daily shes had gabipentin beourphine even tried hostilic meds too nothing helps
the last week shes really gone downhill rapidly
she would normally eat from a spoon with no issues in 5 minutes and eat the occasional chicken slice broken up in ;pieces
i took her to the vet last thursday as doesnt want to eat anymore holds food in her mouth and makes retching grinding choking gagging sounds
shes very strong and has gotten out of my towel now all this week she makes odd noises when i try to feed her
she also sounds congested and a little bubble and snot came out of her nose could be congested she has multiple issues and i dont know how she got it

the vet gave her injection of antibiotic convenia plus also said she has severe ear infection 2 nasty bacteria in 1 ear and 1 in the other vet gave me azerion ear drops i googled them and it said for dogs only

vet gave me a prescription for sporimune a syrup saying try it its very expensive i bred her msyelf and love her soooo much its breaking my heart
its my last hope

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's this bad you might consider long-term steroid usage. It'll eventually cause problems (diabetes, kidney disease, etc.) but it should buy her a couple of good years at least. Since it's already this bad I think it's worth using the last resort.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahbrowne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
shes on loxcom do you mean pred? as i know they cant have both and need a gap between meds before switching

will the spormune help? vet says worth a try its expensive though

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Loxicom is a non-steroidal painkiller. Yes, something like pred or triamcinolone or dexamethasone or another steroid. It will calm down her immune reaction, which is what's causing the problems. Long-term steroid usage isn't healthy but I think she's past worrying about that, as she won't last much longer if she isn't eating.

Sporimune is also an immune-suppressing drug so it might help, but it may be too mild.

hannahbrowne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet only ever offered me loxicom
I've had other cats on pred it's not a good drug
Isn't sporimune very strong then
I heard from. Another vet something called interferon omega but its expensive
Someone else suggested laser treatment
The vets are very expensive
I want my cat free of pain
I'm. Force feeding her and its uncomfortable now
What's best option

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had other cats on pred it's not a good drug
It's not, but I think it would give her a better quality of life than she has now. If you can't find something to relieve her symptoms I'm afraid it may be time to consider euthanasia :(. That's no way for a kitty to live.

hannahbrowne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's why I'm trying sporimune
Waiting for it to come in the post
I got it in a prescription as cheaper than vets who charge £97. I paid for it Thursday
Still not arrived

The vets told me loxicom is very powerful and better that pred. Well she's been in loxicom long time, I'm. Not convinced