Several health issues with cat's head area.

Texsky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. First post here.

We have what I call a semi-feral cat (if there is such a thing) about 3 years old. He showed up out of the blue as a very young kitten and I've been taking care of him ever since. Although I can pet him, he has a very strong aversion to behaving like a normal, docile cat. I simply don't trust him fully. Because of this, getting him to the vet is out of the question as his claws are very sharp and he would rip me to shreds if I tried. So, I could use some advice as he is dealing with some related health issues around his head area.

I noticed him shaking his head from side to side periodically starting about 2-3 weeks ago. Didn't know what to make of it at the time and still don't. But his condition has progressed to where the fur is coming off the back of his ears (without the appearance of being scratched, in fact, I've never seen him scratch at it a single time) and he has developed some crusty, bumpy skin all around the back and sides of his neck, extending to the facial area closest to the ears. These aren't scabs from being in a fight...I'm familiar with that sort of thing. What he has now doesn't heal, it persists, and seems to be getting progressively worse. At times he still shakes his head laterally and lowers his ears and shuts his eyelids about half way. Whatever this is, it is clearly causing him to experience an uncomfortable physical sensation. He sort of looks up to me and cries as if he's asking me for help, but I don't know what to do since I can't get him to the vet. I've been around cats all my life but have never encountered something like this. If any of you have some helpful guidance that might improve the situation I would be grateful. But I fully understand that trying to diagnose a health issue without having him physically inspected by a veterinarian is going to be extremely difficult if not impossible. I just hate to see him suffer. He still eats pretty well, and at times acts normally, (by his standards), but I can't help but think this bothers him all the time. It's an uncomfortable situation for both him and myself and I, being the empathetic type who loves animals, am bothered by this perhaps as much as he is. I'm just at a loss about what to do. Perhaps nothing can be done, but I hate to see suffering like this.

I apologize for the long-windedness and greatly appreciate your time and attention.

Thank you,
Bobby

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi --welcome! We're glad you're here :)

You could try adding some L-lysine to his food for the boost to his immune systen, but he really needs to be trapped and gotten to a vet, the sooner the better.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
What he has is spreading and making him miserable. It can get worse as skin conditions such as you are describing can continue to spread. Has he ever been treated for fleas with a topical product like Advantage or Revolution? Some semi ferals will allow a quick drop on the back of their neck, but that is for you to assess with this cat.

You are probably beyond the point of starting this now though. He needs to be trapped, as was stated, and brought to a vet. If you are not familiar with trapping, we can help you here. You may be able to rent a trap from a local humane society. However, you need to make some calls to see who will see a feral in a trap. Some vets will and some won't. You might check with local cat rescues and ask their advice. You are not asking to rehome the cat, so they should be willing to give you the name of a vet that they might use for the care for their rescues. If you do trap him, you have to know where you are taking him and have the trapping synced with the appointment. This is easier to manage than you think by getting him used to eating in a trap which is wired not to trigger, but you need to move on this as it might take a while.

Given that you can pet him, would he allow anything to be applied to his sores. Even plain chamomile tea, the kind that only has one ingredient, might be soothing. Don't risk being bit though, or scratched, and if you get to a point where you might need close contact with him, get a pair of rose pruning gloves or the like and wear a jacket.