Setting my first traps!!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a shame about Beefcake but in the grand scheme of things it really is the only choice. On the upshot you have prevented thousands unwanted cats coming into the world and that is a big accomplishment. Great job you are doing. And to think a month ago you were a novice TNR person and now you are a pro.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the support. It's nice to have somewhere to go to post updates and questions. Most people just think I'm a nutcase!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know. I expect a paddywagon to come and get me anyday. My mother thinks I am have lost my mind. But I feel good about it and I know I am helping.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When things can go wrong they will!! Last night I trapped exactly the two I was hoping to trap, despite it being pouring rain. [Note previous luck trapping in the rain.] I got our adorable little black and white that I call Moo, and the other tabby twin we call Olive. They are the last 2 from the litter that lives on the block. I was doubly excited to hear that the couple downstairs are considering trying to turn Moo into a house cat. Then I get a phone call from the vet that they we're able to get to them today and they'll "try" tomorrow. Well, I'm supposed to be leaving tomorrow for the rest of summer. I have a job interview on Friday morning in a town 5 hours from here. I told them I need to be able to pick them up by 2 at the absolute latest tomorrow, but all they said was "we will see what we can do, otherwise you'll just have to take them back and deal with them later". Later? Like when there's 10 more kittens running around because I saw one of them being bred the other night?? *end rant.....for now*

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Congrats! Hope all went well today!

We never had neighbors call about their cats - but if it was on our property, it got spayed or neutered and ear-tipped. If they don't want their cats ear-tipped, they shouldn't let them wander outside. And if they're not going to spay or neuter - they shouldn't let them out to begin with.

I know that handling it with actual people is a different story though.
I'd let them know that there's no way to identify an owned cat from a feral cat, so they may end up with a free neuter. The other thing you can do is print out a low-cost spay/neuter place for them, so they can get their cat neutered - and if he winds up in your trap, he won't wind up with an ear-tip.

Laurie
Sorry, just trying to keep up, here.
oh -- Trap, Neuter, Release?

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

Sorry, just trying to keep up, here.
oh -- Trap, Neuter, Release?
You got the TNR part correctly. Ear tipping just means that while they are under for surgery they tip of one ear is cut off. It serves as a tag to know which cats have already been speutered and vaccinated. It's very helpful in colonies like ours in particular because all of our cats are tabby, black, or black and white and can be impossible to tell apart.