Seriously considering rehoming cat and torturing myself

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know some rescue groups will adopt some cats out - often ex ferals - as what are referred to as shadow cats where you share your home with a cat and are open to making them your companion, but ultimately they spend a lot of time out of sight, they don't actively seek affection, and over time they learn to open up more. Not to the point of being lap cats or anything, but to be happy living indoors with human companionship rather than fearful and completely unhandleable. It definitely takes a special home and a special kind of person to bring in shadow cats, especially in cases like Tilly's where one is more a shadow cat and one is fiercely demanding of their person. I would hope the rescue just didn't evaluate them thoroughly enough prior to placing for adoption, rather than lying about the condition of the cats. It's a real shame the foster home didn't take the time to get to know them better and have more foresight for potential adopters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tillysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to update the thread and say Tilly was re-adopted over the weekend. I have been watching the rescue group's page to keep an eye on her. I was getting nervous as it's kitten season and I feared she'd be back with them for too long.

Hopefully they have shared all my info with her adopter and found her a larger home with other cats or more activity. I hope they see all the good that I saw in her and can help her work through the trying behaviors if they ever surface.

Tillysmom

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've been watching here from the sidelines, @Tillysmom and this sounds really positive.

Lots of
that it works out.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might want to ask the rescue group to give your name and number to the new adopter so they can call you about Tilly if they have questions, or even just your email just so they can get in touch.  Most of our people who have fostered a cat do send their information along to the adoptive parents even if the cat goes out through the shelter rather than directly from the foster home.  All the fosters want to hear happy things about their babies for awhile after they are adopted, and are willing to help with any problems or questions.  You were a previous owner, but you are like a foster as well, so maybe they would do that.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
aww @Tillysmom

:(

i'm sorry you had to go through all that. Giving Tilly a home only to end up returning her. Believe me I have also been there, thinking about sending my girl Jet back to the Shelter...but i never did (although she was not like Tilly, as you described her).

I'm glad Tilly found a new home, and i hope its her forever home. You have done so much for her already, you have to know that, and please don't feel like you were a failure. You are amazing in that you recognized and prioritized the happiness of your pet before your own. That's truly very unselfish of you :) you did the right thing.

If you are ever in need/wanting to adopt another kitty,  I hope it works out for you :)

remember, negative experiences can happen with a local rescue group, or a shelter. I've had negative and positive experiences with both, so please don't let his whole ordeal scar you.