Serious Help Needed with Cats!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PhxJosh

I really hope they do grow out of this phase, but at the same time they are very entertaining.

I am having a problem this week with my older cat "missing" the litter box when he goes, I don't think he is doing it on purpose though, I think the litter box we have might just be too small, even though it's the largest one we could find, I guess I am getting an enclosed one now.

I still need to get M nuetered, we are looking for low-cost options but are having trouble, they used to offer free nuetering here in Phoenix, but now you are required to go to their office and fill out a form and they are taking half the cats they used to last year for free.
Enclosed boxes are not a good idea, as they hold in odors. Instead get the large rubbermaid tubs like this:

Many cats don't like to share litter boxes, so you should have at least two boxes, better three. (Make sure the older cat is just "missing" and is not developing a UTI, by watching him closely for signs like repeat trips to the litter box, straining in the box, or peeing in strange places)

As for the neuter. You won't know if you can get on the low cost list until you go do the paperwork, and, as the neuter needs to be done regardless, go get the paperwork done now, no excuses!

In the meantime start saving up for the neuter so if you don't get on the list, you can get it done anyway. You're house will begin to smell very unpleasant very soon, if he is six months old, if you don't! Nothing worse than the smell of unneutered cat pee!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phxjosh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip for the rubbermaid container, but I doubt it will fit in my bathroom.

I live in a 500sq ft aparment now.

The car tower has helped alot, they love the thing, they never seem to leave it anymore, they sleep on it and play on it.

I don't think they have a problem sharing the box, I think my box is just too small, he barley fits in the box right now.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, an un-neutered male STINKS so you'll want to get that done ASAP. Otherwise you'll have much bigger problems than just some rowdy behavior!

A bigger litterbox sounds like a necessity. Plastic totes are good, and much cheaper than jumbo litterboxes. I really recommend having 2 boxes....you can put them right next to each other is you have to, and they don't HAVE to be in the bathroom. A closet or a corner of the bedroom works just as well. Having too small/too few litterboxes can lead to some serious litterbox problems later on. They might be OK with sharing now, but that could change. If you decide not to add another box at this time, be sure to keep the box extra clean.

Everything else sounds like normal young cat behavior. I keep my toilet paper in a coffee can.....I don't have to put the lid on anymore but that's an option.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PhxJosh

Thanks for the tip for the rubbermaid container, but I doubt it will fit in my bathroom.

I live in a 500sq ft aparment now.

The car tower has helped alot, they love the thing, they never seem to leave it anymore, they sleep on it and play on it.

I don't think they have a problem sharing the box, I think my box is just too small, he barley fits in the box right now.
My apartment is 529 sq feet, including closets and bathroom. I have three cats and four litter boxes.

I'm glad the cat tree is helping matters! The sooner you get the male neutered the better things will be!