Seperation

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 9 month old kitten is a good boy. At 11 pm we my boyfriend and I would close living room door and he knew it was time for bed. But I went on vacation to visit my parents this Christmas. M boyfriend and a friend came to feed and play with him. Once I returned he changed. He will scratch door and even hurt himself ( headbutt door hard) until I let him out. So I let him roam the house but he is SO bad. jumps on us and cries and constantly making noise. It has been 3 days of this and I am not sleeping well. I start work again in 2 days. Help please

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
He may head butt the door but I don’t think he will actually hurt himself. As difficult as it is you need to ignore his behavior and not give in and he will eventually give up and go to sleep.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats don't speak English, so you can't tell them "I'll be back in a week". If you leave he doesn't know you're coming back until you go and comeback several times. What you describe sounds like anxious behaviour.
Try redirecting him and tiring him out before bed. Don't respond to cries or negative behaviour as it teaches them to keep doing it.
Maybe once he understands you're not disappearing forever, it'll pass. The first time I was gone all day my cat displayed similar anxious behaviour.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats don't speak English, so you can't tell them "I'll be back in a week". If you leave he doesn't know you're coming back until you go and comeback several times. What you describe sounds like anxious behaviour.
Try redirecting him and tiring him out before bed. Don't respond to cries or negative behaviour as it teaches them to keep doing it.
Maybe once he understands you're not disappearing forever, it'll pass. The first time I was gone all day my cat displayed similar anxious behaviour.
That makes sense. I left my poor baby for 2 weeks. Yikes. I will do my best.Thank you