seperation anxiety

akeeler93083

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our kittle kitten is about 3 months old. We've had her for about 6 weeks and she has always been a cuddle bug.Lately she has been seeking attention more than usual whuch we do our best to satisfy but she gets very upset if we close a door to a room and she can not enter or if she is left alone in the house. She will cry and scratch at door and walls until we open the door or come home. We are very worried about her. We are thinking if getting another kitten, both to add to our family but also so that she has a companion. We are hoping this will relieve some of her stress and anxiety. But we also dont want to make the situatuon worse by bringing home another kitty if it would make her feel even more insecure because of attention being divided between the 2 of them. We love our kitty and just want to do whats best for her. Any advice??

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely get another cat. I'd recommend one right around her age.  Also, if I am understanding right, you've had her since she was 6 weeks old.  Unfortunately, she was separated from her mom and littermates way too soon (really, ideally, she'd just be leaving them now).  because of this, the separation anxiety may be an ongoing issue.  However, having another cat around to play with should help some. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

akeeler93083

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was right at 6 weeks old when we got her. My daughters father gave the kitten to her for her birthday. Since he lives several hours away we went ahead and brought her home when her visit with him was over. But thank u for your advice. We were worried she would view another kitten as a rival for our affections

bourbonsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@akeeler93083  I know this is kind of late - but my kitty is the same as yours when it comes to being stressed out. I was wondering if you ended up getting another kitten? If so, did it help at all? I'd love to know, I'm considering getting him a little friend...