Seperation anxiety in cat?

jhinesis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have a 1.5 year old seal point short hair cat that I got when she was 8 weeks old--she was a stray kitten that someone had found outdoors and brought into the vet clinic I worked at at the time. She had fleas, worms, ear mites, you name it.

I named her Gemini and she's lived indoors with me since. She is a very shy cat and always has been. About 70% of the time, if you approach her or even come in her direction, she will run away. It is only when she is in the mood for attention that she will come up and be affectionate and want to get in your lap and purr and be petted.

We do not let the cats in our bedroom because my boyfriend is allergic to cats(he still has one) and we wanted to keep the bedroom clear. It is also where all of the unsafe house plants stay, as well as the fact that the comforter in that room absolutely *attracts* animal hair.

However, Gemini will come and bang on the door to the bedroom at like 5am nearly every morning. You can hear her clawing and pawing at the door and she makes this ungodly desperate howling noise; you know it, the one they make when they are *really* unhappy. We are unsure of what to do to stop this. My boyfriend blocked access to the hall with a ferret gate, but I'm sure it will not take her long to get around(or over) it.

Suggestions for this loud cat? lol

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has separation anxiety. I work 9-12 hours a day and when I get home she is all over me and follows me everywhere and I mean everywhere. I can not close a door without her wanting to be in the room with me. My roommate tells me she cry's while I am not home and looks around for me. She wants nothing to do with my roommate.

What you could do is if you have a separate bedroom that maybe you could set up for your kitty for the night with a litter box, food, water and lots of toys. Make it a routine and see if that helps. Make sure you make it fun for her and maybe give her a treat for going into the room every night so she won't mind as much.