Separation Anxiety

laggyducky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have pretty much been with my cats 24/7 since I found Popcorn under a car at the beginning of November. 

I started school this month and Popcorn (now around 4 months old) is freaking out when I am not home. Minion meows for a few minutes but after that he goes and plays with the dogs or sleeps. 

Popcorn on the other hand literally paces and meows until she is too tired to do anything else. 

She isn't home alone since I moved back into my mother's house while I am in school. My mother says she tries to engage her to get her mind off of it by playing with her favorite toys or laser or giving her food. But nothing is working. 

I do have a dog with severe separation anxiety and he is on medication for it. 

So I am wondering is she likely to grow out of this once she realizes that I am not leaving forever? 

What's really weird is she has no problem when I go to work just when I leave for school in the mornings. 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Laggyducky... I'm sorry it's taken so long for you to receive a reply! 

Poor little Popcorn is obviously very attached to you.

There are a few things:

It can help to de-sensitise her to your leaving..  Do you wear distinct clothing for school?  If so, put it on, leave, then come back, leave again, etc. and don't make any kind of a fuss of her when you do it.

It's interesting that she doesn't worry about you going to work. Do you work at night?

Make sure you leave something that has 'you' all over it.. some of your worn clothing in her favourite places.

Feliway can also be useful.

Hopefully she'll settle down as she gets older.

Let us know how you get on 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laggyducky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do work at night. She seems perfectly fine when I go to work. But when I go to school she has a meltdown. 

I have a uniform for work but I wear my "street clothes" when I go to school. 

My vet suggested Feliway so I ordered some yesterday (no pet store have to order everything online). I will try to desensitize her with the suggestion of putting my clothes on and leaving and coming back. This worked well with one of my dogs when he was a puppy but wasn't sure if you used the same technique for cats or not. 

I'll also find something to wear around and let her have in her favorite condo. 

Thank you for the suggestions! 

It has gotten really bad lately.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I guess you're her mum and she really, really doesn't want to lose you!

I had a look through your Mini Zoo pics.. is that a bluetongue lizard you have?

laggyducky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess you're her mum and she really, really doesn't want to lose you!

I had a look through your Mini Zoo pics.. is that a bluetongue lizard you have?
Yes that is my Zedd a blue tongue skink. Most people mistake him for a snake with legs... 

laggyducky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have them wild in my garden.  They're lovely.
I love them. I had two my Zedd is an Irian Jaya BTS and I had a Shingleback BTS but he sadly died when he was just under a year old. He is super personable but people are terrified of him even though if you scare him he will hide under a blanket or my shirt. 

One the note of Popcorn. I tried the Feliway this morning plus put one of my shirts on her condo. She was MUCH better. She only meowed for a few minutes after I left and actually played with toys and ate. When I came home instead of an exhausted nervous kitten I came home to her and Minion asleep on her condo. I am still doing the desensitize thing since I don't want her to freak out every time I open a door. She is a really clingy kitten. I am not sure if it is because she has been with me since she was just able to walk or if that is just the way she is. 

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
One the note of Popcorn. I tried the Feliway this morning plus put one of my shirts on her condo. She was MUCH better. She only meowed for a few minutes after I left and actually played with toys and ate. When I came home instead of an exhausted nervous kitten I came home to her and Minion asleep on her condo. I am still doing the desensitize thing since I don't want her to freak out every time I open a door. She is a really clingy kitten. I am not sure if it is because she has been with me since she was just able to walk or if that is just the way she is. 
This is wonderful news!

I reckon it is because you are her constant source of security.. you saved her, so she's really attached.  But it sounds like things will settle down, and you'll just have a lovely, affectionate, smoochy girl.

Well done!

laggyducky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm just glad she isn't freaking out to the point of exhaustion now.