separation anxiety (not cats lol)

tnyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I was reading about separation anxiety on these forums, when I thought about my OWN separation anxiety, and I thought I would ask you guys if you experience the same thing.

I have only felt this way since living alone. I am in my early 30s now, and have felt like this for many years.

Whenever I spend time with a loved one, in particular, my boyfriend, I get EXTREMELY sad when I know he's about to go home, or go on a trip, and then I stay sad for several hours. Then, I COMPLETELY FORGET about him, get back into the motions, and then I really don't feel anxious or miss him for many days. And when it's time to hang out again, it's not really a big emotional thing. Until he leaves again!

Does anyone else experience this, or have any tips for me? I know it's silly, but I cannot control it.

Thanks in advance!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I "had" to go on a vacation to Greece (yeah, I know, hard life....) and would be gone for ten days. Unlike the vacation I cut short when I went to Ocean City, New Jersey because I missed Ritz so much, I knew I couldn't leave Greece early. My twin sister Becky would have killed me!
What helped me was when I got in the shuttle bus to go to the airport, Becky kept up a non-stop dialogue about non-consequential matters: she distracted me. And of course when I returned from vacation, Ritz briefly said hello, then Feed Me, then went to the window to watch the birds.
In your case, I'd plan something immediately after you say goodbye, anything to distract you--even work or exercise (vigorous if possible).
(Note if this sadness seriously affects your physical and mental health, a trip to the vet doctor might be warranted.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Ritz. I think it is my biological clock freaking out :( But your idea of distraction is great! I'll save my fave shows for these times... :) And exercise, WOO!