Separation Anxiety And Vomiting With Blood

nurseangie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Howdy. I have an almost 15 year old cat that I have had since he was 1.5 yrs old. The problem is that he will be fine when I am at home, but if I leave to go to work or am gone from the house for several hours he starts vomiting until he has dry heaves and eventually blood. The past vet said it was from the capillaries in his throat breaking from such hard vomiting. Waldo has been doing this for years. He used to howl really bad at night (and scream) to the point that I would have to put him in his room so I could get sleep. He doesn't howl much now, but he still has the vomiting. I try to treat him at home because the vets said they don't want to treat him unless he is given morphine because he gets very violent. I usually do the same routine each time by putting him in his room with a soft mat, some familiar toys and water but no food. I spray the room with cat relaxing spray and have continuous classical or calming music played. I decrease all stimuli and retreat to my own bedroom because if I am out in the living room Waldo just seems to get more anxious causing more vomiting. I keep him contained to his room for several hours because the vomiting can get really messy and it helps to decompress his anxiety. He also has places in his room where he can hide and relax which he also does. I recently had him checked by a vet that made housecalls because Waldo had been throwing up every week for the last month. The vet had to sedate him several times and he visit was very traumatic to the point that I thought Waldo would have a heart attack. The vet was able to perform several tests and xrays, urine, stool and blood sample tests. Waldo is relatively healthy and these tests were performed 2 days after he had a vomiting episode. They did find him to have safe 2 kidney disease but I had expected that with his age. I tried to tell the vet it was vomiting related to anxiety but he keeps thinking it is a hairball issue and kidney related. Waldo has hairballs, but I is from excessive grooming from anxiety. I brush him every day and also give him a laxative. The vet said to increase the laxative which only gives Waldo diarrhea. I wanted a medication to calm him down, but the vet will not give one because he does not think that is the problem. So again, I am back in my room after Waldo has been vomiting blood for several hours. I have cleaned up the mess and he is now in the living room relaxing and smelling all of his toys. I just went out to see him and he was so anxious that he kept following me around, rubbing his scent on everything (which he does constantly every day) and clinging to me like glue. It usually takes several hours before he is relaxed enough to start eating again. Waldo definitely had a good appetite when I'm home as he eats at least every 3 hours that includes Hills Prescription renal food and rotisserie chicken that the vet said was ok to give him. It makes me angry that I have to actually alter my life to the point of not being able to do things, or go places or even pick up an extra shift at work because Waldo gets sick if I do. But if I don't do these "rituals" then Waldo is in misery. All of this because vets choose to think they know everything and refuse to listen to the cat's owner who is around the cat 24/7. I don't know what else to do. I do know that I'm not going to torture Waldo with another vet visit. Even if I could get something for Waldo's anxiety, I don't think he would take it. I have been trying "Rescue Remedy" and rubbing it on his ears which he is starting to get wise to and not like. The vet said not to be alarmed when Waldo is vomiting he blood, but it is hard not to and I think Waldo then picks up on my anxiety about that. It's a vicious cycle. I'm trying not to be mad about the situation, but it is hard when I am not able to do normal things of everyday life that others do because I'm stuck in my bedroom trying to lessen Waldo's anxiety. How can a vet not think that this is a separation anxiety problem?!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a lot to deal with. I would try other products that are out there such as calming treats and diffusers or even catnip if he likes it. It would seem with all the anxiety that medication would be beneficial.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know that frustration with a vet not listening. You just have to do what you know is right.

I had a cat, Monkey, that was extremely bonded with me. From day she'd scream if anyone else held her until I came back. When she grew up she'd pace if I was gone long. The first time I had to go away for a week I'd call and sing to her (I have a terrible voice) and she'd visually relax. After that I left a recording for her. She even relaxed some if I sang at the vets. I don't know if leaving something with your scent in his room and adding your recorded voice to his playlist would help or just remind him your not home.

Does his special food come in dry that you can leave out for him? If he nibbles before getting maybe the nervous stomach acids will have something to work on and not cause a reflux reaction.

I hope you find a solution.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry it's your worries about Waldo that brought you here.

TCS has an article on Separation Anxiety In Cats. It's more cat "parents" and the issues with their cats, than solutions, but you might find it interesting.

The only thing that came to my mind as I read your post, is has Waldo been to a feline only vet? I know you don't want to drag him to another vet, but possibly one who only dealt with cats might be more open to listening to you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would a behaviorist help? What about another pet?
Take a look through the discussion of calming treats as well as the second discussion that's referred to in it, but I do think that if you can find a cat vet, or a vet more sympathetic to the situation there are several vet prescribed meds that may help your baby.

Calming Treats?

AAFP | American Association of Feline Practitioners