Separating a (feral) cat from her kittens: is there any way to limit 'trauma'?

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all

I have a feral cat in the garden, here in Belgrade, Serbia, who has three kittens. When I say feral she is quite tame and calm really, although she is slightly nervous of humans (she has got used to me since I feed her all the time!).

Her kittens are 12 to 14 weeks old, and it looks like we've found homes for them (although we might need to put them in a cat hotel for a week). I'd love to leave them with her, but their best chance of survival is in a caring and loving home environment.

I envisage that when I catch them, maybe it will be traumatic for the mothers and for them to be separated. And the hotel will offer a limited environment until they go to their homes.

Is there any way of limiting/reducing the trauma of separation? Or am I imagining the trauma (as I myself and finding it traumatic thinking about it!)

Thanks as always

James

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all

I have a feral cat in the garden, here in Belgrade, Serbia, who has three kittens. When I say feral she is quite tame and calm really, although she is slightly nervous of humans (she has got used to me since I feed her all the time!).

Her kittens are 12 to 14 weeks old, and it looks like we've found homes for them (although we might need to put them in a cat hotel for a week). I'd love to leave them with her, but their best chance of survival is in a caring and loving home environment.

I envisage that when I catch them, maybe it will be traumatic for the mothers and for them to be separated. And the hotel will offer a limited environment until they go to their homes.

Is there any way of limiting/reducing the trauma of separation? Or am I imagining the trauma (as I myself and finding it traumatic thinking about it!)

Thanks as always

James
Judging from how the momma cat reacted when I took two of her 6 weeks old kittens, she seemed to care less. Add the fact that 4 out of 5 of her kittens had been in a crab pot for a few hours waiting for me to come and pick. She was around the yard but never once went towards where her babies were. I think we assign human emotions to animals sometimes and think they will react like we would. You could always try to separate them and see how it goes but I think separating them where they can't be seen by momma would be best. Out of sight... out of mind so to speak.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Judging from how the momma cat reacted when I took two of her 6 weeks old kittens, she seemed to care less. Add the fact that 4 out of 5 of her kittens had been in a crab pot for a few hours waiting for me to come and pick. She was around the yard but never once went towards where her babies were. I think we assign human emotions to animals sometimes and think they will react like we would. You could always try to separate them and see how it goes but I think separating them where they can't be seen by momma would be best. Out of sight... out of mind so to speak.
Thanks

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How did the kittens react?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some mother cats become depressed for a couple of weeks when separated, and the kittens tend to miss their moms and litter mates for awhile, which is why I often recommend rehoming in pairs. Best to let her see you take the kittens so she knows.

Cats and kittens do adjust, but it can take time for many of them.

Are you planning to spay the mom? She will be pregnant again if not.

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some mother cats become depressed for a couple of weeks when separated, and the kittens tend to miss their moms and litter mates for awhile, which is why I often recommend rehoming in pairs. Best to let her see you take the kittens so she knows.

Cats and kittens do adjust, but it can take time for many of them.

Are you planning to spay the mom? She will be pregnant again if not.
Yes - she will be more difficult to catch, but I have a plan

LesChatsAmor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a very similar situation today! Been watching the Momma and babies (4) outdoors for several weeks now. The neighbour had started feeding them so I know they are of that age and capable, but would still feed on Momma too. But one kitten had gone missing since yesterday, so I decided today I had to rescue the others before they come to some harm. They are in my spare bedroom and I have spent a small fortune on all the best food and formula. However I have been feeling guilty and stressed for taking them from their mom! even tho I'm sure in the big picture it is for the best. I have always been a cat owner but never rescued babies before! Most things I've read say don't take them from Mom before 12 weeks, but what about all the dangers of outdoors/cars/diseases? We are going to TNR Momma Cat- ASAP.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi, I have a very similar situation today! Been watching the Momma and babies (4) outdoors for several weeks now. The neighbour had started feeding them so I know they are of that age and capable, but would still feed on Momma too. But one kitten had gone missing since yesterday, so I decided today I had to rescue the others before they come to some harm. They are in my spare bedroom and I have spent a small fortune on all the best food and formula. However I have been feeling guilty and stressed for taking them from their mom! even tho I'm sure in the big picture it is for the best. I have always been a cat owner but never rescued babies before! Most things I've read say don't take them from Mom before 12 weeks, but what about all the dangers of outdoors/cars/diseases? We are going to TNR Momma Cat- ASAP.
This with 12 weeks is a good rule for home cats.
Kittens of homeless cats are one of the few exceptions. We may take them EARLIEr, when 1. They are easier to socialize in full 2. Much easier to catch...

Last edited: