Separate types of food?

symplestytches

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two cats, one 10.5 years, one estimated at 2 years (newly adopted). Do they really need to be on two separate foods or can i feed them the same thing?

thinking of doing the Holistic Select Wet for both, just for the ease of not having to have 2 different diets.... Currently they are on separate foods, and going to be switching off Friskies for the older kitty (never realized kitties were as special-care as bunnies, always just focused on the bunny care and tortoise care, bad on me i know).

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I feed my guys two different foods only because they don't like the same thing. Personally, i don't find it a bother, though. I just open two different cans and plop them in their respective food bowls, add some extra water, stir and serve. Almost as easy as that (except for certain meals, when one eats raw, but that a whole other story!)

All that being said, I don't see anything wrong with feeding them both the same food. If only I could :sigh:

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 3 eat the same things. My youngest one (newly adopted) scarfs his food down like he’s never been fed before, so I do give him the higher calorie options in our pantry. We stick to mostly pâtés for ours - and we feed a few different brands of wet.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's ok. I feed my older cats the same and the kitten a different one, though. But more often than not I find my kitty Graham munching on the food of the older ones, too.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish it was that easy my cat Peaches scarfs down her food then throws it up. She is given food with one protein,no allergens. Fed small amount many times a day. My other cats eat less expensive food that does have allergens so Peaches cant eat it. She keeps trying to eat their food then growls when I push her away

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll know if you can't feed them the same food. But in case you're having a hard time telling who's doing what in the litter box, you can use Crayola brand crayons, shave them up finely, and mix into their food. Only a little bit. Different colors for different cats. As long as they are the nothing fancy Crayola brand, then that's parafin wax that will harmlessly pass through them unchanged. The color that goes in is the color that comes out: color-coded cat stools. I suppose you could do a trial run if you were curious. But I'd probably reserve this just for identifying which cat is having the loose stool or the runs.