Separate male from females?

Mgolke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. So I have four roughly 16-18 week old kittens (all siblings) who all are out playing all day and then crated together all night. Three are females and one is a male, all of them are intact. So my question is when should I start separating the boy from the girls? I plan to get them fixed asap (which probably won’t be for at least a month) but two (the boy and a female) have heart murmurs which is why I’m kind of waiting on it as it makes me more nervous. If we do have to separate the boy would probably be out at night time and then crated during the day and the females out during the day and the boy at night.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Get the male neutered asap. It’s a quick procedure and quick to heal. Very little time under light anesthesia. Likely not an issue with the heart murmur. Then he won’t begin to get his testosterone and try to mate with the females. Then get the females spayed so they can live their best, healthiest lives.

Mgolke Mgolke

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mgolke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Get the male neutered asap. It’s a quick procedure and quick to heal. Very little time under light anesthesia. Likely not an issue with the heart murmur. Then he won’t begin to get his testosterone and try to mate with the females. Then get the females spayed so they can live their best, healthiest lives.

Mgolke Mgolke
All of them are scheduled for beginning of November! Have to keep the male separate until then tho

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent! They can spend time together UNDER SUPERVISION, say an hour or two here or there if you can watch them without distractions. Otherwise, yes, they need to be separated. I feel for the little guy missing out on socializing with his siblings, but he’ll be okay.