Sentry Calming Spray on the plane

liabee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Folks, I'm going to be flying my kitty across the country (literally from one side to the other British Columbia to Quebec) with me as a carry-on and I talked to my vet about sedatives and they recommended a pheromone spray like Feliway or Sentry so I went and picked some up. I'm wondering if anyone has tried these for plane rides? Thanks! Lia  

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not used it on plane rides but it did help SOMEWHAT on car ride to the vet for one of my cats who is terrible about car rides.  It didn't cure his symptoms but did prevent the usual vomiting.  He still drooled, peed in the carrier and pooped when we got to the vet 20 minutes away.

I HAVE used just plain catnip in the carrier when making both plane and car trips with other cats and that does seem to help  They get all hyper for 15 minutes or so and then they sleep the rest of the way.  If your cat is a catnip junkie, this may help.  The other thing that will help is that YOU are calm!  I personally don't like flying one bit, so I take a tranquilizer -- and I am not in the habit of taking tranquilizers, so if usually helps me be calm and I KNOW that makes the cats be calm.  If mama isn't worried, kitty doesn't need to be worried.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

liabee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just thought I would give an update to this: It didn't work. He had calming spray and some calming treats but he peed himself on take off and by the time we got the cab to our new apartment he had also pooped himself. Poor guy. Now, I'm not saying the spray doesn't work at all. I'm saying it didn't work for Loki. He has a nervous disposition and maybe it would for a more relaxed cat. Unfortunately this was not the case. Oh well, It's all over now and he's settled right in.