Sensitive stomach

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there a food that is good for sensitive stomachs? Is it normal for cats to throw up?
Twinkie seems to be a sensitive cat. When she was sick she could eat anything and not have issues. I fed her what ever she wanted to get weight on her.

Now she seems to get runny poos often as well as throw up. Its not all the times but enough to notice. Food with gravy seems to give her runny poos. This morning she threw up. Maybe she ate to fast. I give her fortiflora daily, her vet suggested it last year. I have no idea if it helps, although when I don't give it to her , there a higher chance if a runny poo.
her yearly appointment is in 2 weeks, I feel they will suggest a prescription diet. Are those healthy enough? Should I try something else? I was thinking freeze dried raw. Is that complete enough? Currently I feed Tiki after dark and fancy feast pate.
i took dry food out of the rotation , should I add it back in?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can be difficult to sort out what's causing cats to vomit! Feeding the simplest possible foods and keeping a journal of meals and "event" can help make that a bit easier. Before offering suggestions, it would be helpful if you could mention which flavors of Tiki After Dark and Fancy Feast pate you feed. In our experience, just about anything can cause vomiting so knowing the exact foods and their ingredients is really important.

One easy thing to say is that if a food (like the freeze-dried raw) meets AAFCO's nutritional standards, it is complete.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
At what time of day does she throw up? Is it after eating,morning before eating, or odd times? How old is she? There is a poop chart online. My cat's had mucus in it. Having both throw up and diaheria is worth looking in to

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At what time of day does she throw up? Is it after eating,morning before eating, or odd times? How old is she? There is a poop chart online. My cat's had mucus in it. Having both throw up and diaheria is worth looking in to
These are all really good points, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It can be difficult to sort out what's causing cats to vomit! Feeding the simplest possible foods and keeping a journal of meals and "event" can help make that a bit easier. Before offering suggestions, it would be helpful if you could mention which flavors of Tiki After Dark and Fancy Feast pate you feed. In our experience, just about anything can cause vomiting so knowing the exact foods and their ingredients is really important.

One easy thing to say is that if a food (like the freeze-dried raw) meets AAFCO's nutritional standards, it is complete.
We do not feed them any fish or beef variety. She did well on the Stella and chewy chicken and turkey.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
[/QUOT
Always after her breakfast. they do not eat over night. Last meal is dinner normally at 630-7 . i am going to talk to the vet at her physical next week. It never happens to our other kitten , they are both 1 yr. Diaherea happens sometimes if I dont give her the fortiflora

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats cannot be without food for 8 hrs so I use a food timer for wet. I also feed her in a separate room. My guess is she eats so fast to make sure my other cats don't get her food or hurry up and finish to eat my other cats food. Feeding her away from my cats has helped and many small meals. Also,she's a licker so no pate. Only shreds or chunks

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We do not feed them any fish or beef variety. She did well on the Stella and chewy chicken and turkey.
No fish is a good start, though most Fancy Feast pates do contain some fish. Unless something has changed or I'm misremembering, turkey and giblets is the only one without fish.
Always after her breakfast. they do not eat over night. Last meal is dinner normally at 630-7 . i am going to talk to the vet at her physical next week. It never happens to our other kitten , they are both 1 yr. Diaherea happens sometimes if I dont give her the fortiflora
If she's always vomiting very shortly after breakfast and easily bringing up the whole meal in one long sausage-like mess, she may be regurgitating her food because she has acid in her stomach. This page mentions that problem. One of our cats has a tendency to regurgitate her breakfast so we feed it to her in several small plates. In Twinkie's case, it might even help if she has a snack before you go to bed so she doesn't have an empty stomach for quite as long. That's not enough for our cat, who needs a nighttime snack, too, but a bedtime meal works for many.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats cannot be without food for 8 hrs so I use a food timer for wet. I also feed her in a separate room. My guess is she eats so fast to make sure my other cats don't get her food or hurry up and finish to eat my other cats food. Feeding her away from my cats has helped and many small meals. Also,she's a licker so no pate. Only shreds or chunks
Your post came up just as I posted, maggie101 maggie101 ... what you say about separate feeding and the
competition" thing is also really important for our two cats.