Sensitive Stomach

kry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

My cat has extremely sensitive stomach and only a few brands would result in firm stools. Another problem is he is on a full wet food diet so he tends to get tired of eating the same thing very quickly.

My vet recommended taking probiotics but it wasn’t working out in the long run. I introduced new food to his diet slowly (bits at a time over a course of a week) but he would start having loose/watery stools once I stopped putting in the probiotics. I also didn’t want him to be reliant on probiotics.

Any suggestions or tips for sensitive stomach and adding in new food other than feeding probiotics?

I also ruled out all his allergies, but somehow it was still extremely difficult to expand his diet. His stomach only tolerates Instinct, Nulo and Nutro wet food.

luda macka

meow ♡
Young Cat
Purraise
When you mention that you ruled out his allergies, I assume you also mean food allergies? Like some cats can be very sensitive to chicken for example. Have you done any testing for food/ingredient intolerance as well as disorders like gastritis or celiac's ?

I don't know if cats can have celiac's specifically, but I mean just something that the cat's immune system is reacting to that is in food and then it causes diarrhea and such. If you get me.

What do those foods that he can eat have ingredient wise vs. others that he cannot because he gets diarrhea.
Also, as far as I am aware, probiotics (ones for cats) are safe longterm. It's not a medication or anything like that. If anything, it's moreso a food/diet supplement to help with your cat's microbiome and gut health. You can start and stop them at any time, and also use them as long as you like.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As the mama of a cat with a sensitive digestive system, I understand your struggles. With Ruby, I think it's chicken that bothers her the most, so I ensure no food I buy contains chicken. Luckily she doesn't get bored of food, so once I find something that works, we can stick with it.

Since you have 3 brands that work well, I guess just keep alternating them.

Was the price the reason the probiotics didn't work long term? If so, maybe try using a smaller amount and see if it still helps. That way each little envelope will last longer and reduce the cost. I used probiotics for a while, but it didn't seem to make much difference with Ruby's system. I know my vet gives her cat probiotics every day, and feels it helps.

luda macka

meow ♡
Young Cat
Purraise
There are also several probiotic supplements on the market, and they can come in poweder form, pill form, or a paste form.

luda macka

meow ♡
Young Cat
Purraise
Was the price the reason the probiotics didn't work long term? If so, maybe try using a smaller amount and see if it still helps. That way each little envelope will last longer and reduce the cost.
Yes that is a good point! Sometimes these things can be pricey. If you are using a probiotic in powder* form (like the Purina Proplan Fortiflora), you don't have to use one whole sachet in a day, you can use half or even less.

Also apologies for the typo in previous post lol.