Sensitive Stomach wet food advice

lede06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both of my cats have sensitive stomachs when it comes to wet food but in different ways. One will get diarrhea and the other will occasionally puke, not always, and the diarrhea baby is extremely picky.

I'm currently feeding Merrick LID (chicken, duck and turkey) because it doesn't always cause one cat to puke and it doesn't make the diarrhea one have diarrhea at all but the diarrhea baby doesn't really like it. He will pick at it or not eat it at all. I'm wasting a lot of money.

I tried Weruva pureluxe but the puking one wouldn't finish it and the diarrhea one got diarrhea (two weeks of stinky butt and I had to cut his butt hair, poor baby).

I tried Halo but neither of them liked it. I tried one called FirstMate I read about on here because it has a very simple ingredients list but they REALLY hated that one.

I don't really know what to get next. There are so many options lol but I don't want to put my sensitive stomachs through the gamut trying to find something that they will eat without a direction or purpose.

It would be nice if I knew why he was getting diarrhea. Then I could at least rule something out.

I don't think it's a protein allergy. The diarrhea one eats orijen cat & kitten dry which contains a variety of proteins.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats have sensitive stomachs when it comes to wet food but in different ways. One will get diarrhea and the other will occasionally puke, not always, and the diarrhea baby is extremely picky.

I'm currently feeding Merrick LID (chicken, duck and turkey) because it doesn't always cause one cat to puke and it doesn't make the diarrhea one have diarrhea at all but the diarrhea baby doesn't really like it. He will pick at it or not eat it at all. I'm wasting a lot of money.

I tried Weruva pureluxe but the puking one wouldn't finish it and the diarrhea one got diarrhea (two weeks of stinky butt and I had to cut his butt hair, poor baby).

I tried Halo but neither of them liked it. I tried one called FirstMate I read about on here because it has a very simple ingredients list but they REALLY hated that one.

I don't really know what to get next. There are so many options lol but I don't want to put my sensitive stomachs through the gamut trying to find something that they will eat without a direction or purpose.

It would be nice if I knew why he was getting diarrhea. Then I could at least rule something out.

I don't think it's a protein allergy. The diarrhea one eats orijen cat & kitten dry which contains a variety of proteins.
Have they been to the vet recently just to rule out a health issue ?   My two cats have sensitive tummies as well .  The only wet food they will eat is Fancy Feast Classic . I only feed the Liver & Chicken  and the Turkey & Giblets . Those are the only two without fish , added color , sodium nitrite ..  My cats are weird  they prefer it with lots of added water . So twice a day I give each cat a  1/2 can with a 1/2 can of hot water .   I tried giving  each a full can but it makes them sick as in vomiting , diarrhea .   They of course have to eat kibble  ( http://www.victordogfood.com/catfood.html#  ) as well so they get enough nutrition ..

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lede06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have they been to the vet recently just to rule out a health issue ?   My two cats have sensitive tummies as well .  The only wet food they will eat is Fancy Feast Classic . I only feed the Liver & Chicken  and the Turkey & Giblets . Those are the only two without fish , added color , sodium nitrite ..  My cats are weird  they prefer it with lots of added water . So twice a day I give each cat a  1/2 can with a 1/2 can of hot water .   I tried giving  each a full can but it makes them sick as in vomiting , diarrhea .   They of course have to eat kibble  ( http://www.victordogfood.com/catfood.html#  ) as well so they get enough nutrition ..
Yes. They told me to stick with one brand and one protein to see if that helped which it DID so everything was fine until the diarrhea one decided he was going to stop eating that brand and protein. I tried a different protein within the same brand but it is the same thing.

I can't feed them different foods either because diarrhea baby will either wait until pukey finishes to finish hers or butt her out of the way. I've tried feeding him in a different room but he will just cry and cry and cry until I let him out. He is only 7 months.

I tried adding water. They just drink the water and leave the food. Ugh.

His mom was a sensitive stomach I think. The owner told me she was feeding all the kittens and adults the same thing-adult purina sensitive stomach (Why idk. He was only 3 months when I adopted him).

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, it's so painful when cats with sensitive stomachs are also picky! Our cats have moderately sensitive stomachs and are also moderately picky.

Knowing that Merrick LID doesn't bother their stomachs but the Weruva TruLuxe does is helpful. I have to wonder if that Weruva was a problem because of the potato, which is in lots of that line. (Potato makes our puking cat puke so I'm always suspicious of potato!)

Have you tried Tiki Cat? Those foods are some of the simplest you can buy and work for our cats. The canned food part of their diet also has occasional Merrick LID, lots of Weruva's Cats in the Kitchen (cheaper than TruLuxe but no potato), and occasional Hound & Gatos, which they'll only eat every now and then. Their consistent favorites are Nutro Natural Choice, which they get every night before bed: minced chicken, sliced turkey, and chunky chicken are their favorites. I always highly recommend those for picky cats because I've noticed that a lot of people say their picky cats will eat them.

One other trick, if you haven't tried it: crumbling healthy treats, like Pure Bites, on top of food will make our cats eat just about anything. I hate to do it too often because I don't want them to expect it but it really works wonders.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. They told me to stick with one brand and one protein to see if that helped which it DID so everything was fine until the diarrhea one decided he was going to stop eating that brand and protein. I tried a different protein within the same brand but it is the same thing.

I can't feed them different foods either because diarrhea baby will either wait until pukey finishes to finish hers or butt her out of the way. I've tried feeding him in a different room but he will just cry and cry and cry until I let him out. He is only 7 months.

I tried adding water. They just drink the water and leave the food. Ugh.

His mom was a sensitive stomach I think. The owner told me she was feeding all the kittens and adults the same thing-adult purina sensitive stomach (Why idk. He was only 3 months when I adopted him).
Oh , I don't put water on the kibble ..  I mix into the wet food .    

It is really hard , I know .    My cats are super picky .. 

Do both of your cats do well on the Orijen ?  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lede06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh , I don't put water on the kibble ..  I mix into the wet food .    
It is really hard , I know .    My cats are super picky .. 
Do both of your cats do well on the Orijen ?  
Oh yea, I don't put water with the dry food either. That's for them to graze during the day. The 7 month old is endlessly starving since he is still growing. He is part ragdoll and massive already. He is the size of my 18 month old cat!

I don't see pukey eating the Orijen too much. She mostly waits for the wet food.

I really want them to eat wet food though and not dry. They've both had UTIs. This was before I switched them to Orijen and when I had them on blue buffalo though (and I firmly believe blue buffalo contributes to UTIs in long haired cats now.)

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yea, I don't put water with the dry food either. That's for them to graze during the day. The 7 month old is endlessly starving since he is still growing. He is part ragdoll and massive already. He is the size of my 18 month old cat!

I don't see pukey eating the Orijen too much. She mostly waits for the wet food.

I really want them to eat wet food though and not dry. They've both had UTIs. This was before I switched them to Orijen and when I had them on blue buffalo though (and I firmly believe blue buffalo contributes to UTIs in long haired cats now.)
I know what you mean .  I would much prefer my two to all wet but they do not see it that way .    At least they are getting the extra water they need , especially my male cat ..  I also have a fountain which they both love .   I too worry about the UTI thing .   I took them off Purina kibble which is pretty bad . Now they are eating Victor which is  all natural with a high meat content . 

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
My sensitive stomach cat stopped throwing up when I stopped dry food and went to grain free canned. She gets a treat of a teaspoon of Merrick dry ( it is small kibble) and she only gets a snack at night. No more vomit or soft poos! Of course she would rather eat dry all day but I won that battle! Her brother the big boy only gets dry when I furminate him, to keep him distracted.

Last edited:

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd mix in a good quality probiotic in their wet food to help. One of my cats vomits every time he eats new food. But once he's tried it a few times he doesn't anymore.