sensitive stomach food???

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats had cow pies 1-2 x a day for a few days, then would be okay for a few days then back. Every cat handles this differently. Some have non stop diarrhea, some soft - cow pie intermittently. It goes back and forth. The reason antibiotics seem to help is because they kill the good bacteria as well as the bad, leaving nothing for the TF to live on. Once the meds are stopped it returns. Stress and food changes are the major triggers. Suspecting food is a common mistake Vets make. I don't know what pathogens Albon is effective against but if your cat has Clostridium and Albon is not effective against that she is going to continue to have diarrhea. Also Clostridium HATE fiber and Thrive on carbohydrates, that is where food comes into play. They do very poorly with protien diets. My cats are so sensitive to change that 1/4 tsp. of something new can cause diarrhea. I now have a regimen going so we only get diarrhea every couple of weeks, they still have TF. Cow pies still occur in between at times but I am able to manage it with what I give them. Remember, your kitty is young, mine are almost 3 so they have been dealing with it all thier lives. I went through tests, diagnosis of IBD, food allergy, parasites, clostridium, you name it. Many Vets consider this a fairly uncommon disease, but it is not. At an International cat show 33% of the cats tested had this, that was some time ago. Shelters are having a time with this too, it is no longer uncommon. I don't know why your Vet is reluctant to test, maybe you could ask her to call Dr. Gookin, that is what mine finally did, she is very helpful. As with Tamgirl I too am the one who educated my Vet and continue to do so. She had only heard of it, and all she now knows comes from what I have researched and brought to her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what you said about the carbohydrates is funny because little miss looooves bread and pasta. we used to give it to her until she got diarrhea, she rarely ate a piece of meat from human food but if she did it gave her the runs, this was before she had the diarrhea ever day

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BBDOLL22

what you said about the carbohydrates is funny because little miss looooves bread and pasta. we used to give it to her until she got diarrhea, she rarely ate a piece of meat from human food but if she did it gave her the runs, this was before she had the diarrhea ever day
Remember I am talking about the clostridium, not TF, when I mention carbs. There is no known diet that makes any difference for TF. What works well for one does not for another. Mine eat the Royal Canin kitten food dry still, as well as dry California Natural Chicken and Avoderm canned. The dry is not a good diet for them and I only give this to them as they are used to it and ANY change makes them sick. I am trying to move them to something better but it just isn't working. As my Vet says these two even react to stuff that is supposed to be good for them
The rules just don't apply with this. How is your other cat and how long have you had the new cat that is sick?

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had Bobo for 6 years Genna for 5yr Slinky 21/2 yr and domino and little miss since june 08 they are brother and sister they were kittens to a stray momma cat that got hit by a car when the babies were about three weeks old and i fostered them, there were originally four but i adopted 2 out.
little miss is the sick one

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Siddha has had soft poops for a while with no other symptoms, so I am transitioning him to California Natural. It's still early in the process but so far, everything's looking okay. I hope you get something figured out for your little baby.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks firedancer, i was looking into california natural. so far yesterday and today she has had formed, firm poops. we meet with the vet in about a week to transition her from the I/D to a quality food.
I hope all the best for your baby and her food issues