Sensative Stomach Issue In 7 Week Old Kittens

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once again I noticed some very soft stools in the litter box. Took them all off canned food for a day and poop returned to solid. Last night I gave each a Tbsp of canned cat food and this morning, soft stools again. I don't have the room to separate the kittens to make sure which one it is.
My question for you.
Will feeding a 7 week old kitten Purina One Kitten kibble be enough nutrients for these kittens?
Both Samai and Onsa had dirty butts this morning, so it's obviously not just Samai as I first thought.
Should I buy some KMR, and do they really need it at 7 weeks?
All 3 kittens are in the 2 lb weight zone.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Their weights are good.

What brand and flavor of wet food are you feeding?

Also, how soft is the stool?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding Fancy Feast to Onsa and Sable. I switch to Pure Balance for Samai. It's hard to find really decent food up here on the mountain.
The stools are anywhere from 'soft serve' to slightly watery. But solidify with just kibble. And yes, they drink a lot. (in case you were going to ask)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Soft stool would normally indicate parasites, but since the stools are solid on dry food, I tend to think that the Fancy Feast is not agreeing with them.

You may want to try other brands and flavors.

They are getting good nutrition from the kitten chow.

I prefer to keep kittens on KMR until 12 weeks, but you don't have to. They would still be nursing mom though at 7 weeks if they had one.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you.
Since they were on Albon then on panacur and amoxicillin, I'm pretty sure they are parasite free.
As long as I know the kitten kibble is enough, I'll just keep them on it and also on their weights.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Right! They should not have parasites after all the meds.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since they are not going to get canned food anymore, I went to buy some KMR.
The only milk replacer that the store has is something I've never seen before. It is made by PetAg, it is kitten milk replacer, but it is in a pink container and no where on it is the name KMR. (I know that means kitten milk replacer).
Did PetAg change the label or is this something else? Has anyone ever seen this? Anyone have a bad/good experience with this formula?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that is it. Do you have any experiences with it that I should be aware of?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I use it and have for a long time. I buy it at Walmart. I think it's specially packaged for sale outside of the big box pet chain stores.

It's the same formula and I've had an excellent experience with it.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I did go ahead and buy it. I feel much better about feeding it now.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the diarrhea came back. I took them off everything but kibble and it seems to be worse.
Finally, the shelter wants a stool sample to send off. It's about time. Even though they are drinking lots of water, I will syringe some Pedialyte into them, just to be safe. Changed from Purina One to the Meow Mix they gave me, will see if that does anything. I'm at a loss here. Hopefully, the stool sample will show something.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Could it be the KMR? Pull this and see if their stools go back to normal.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Way ahead of you. Gave them one platter yesterday morning and none since then.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You mentioned they are also on amoxycyllin? The medicines may play havoc with the tummies, making them more sensitive, as the natural bacterial flora does also get disturbed. This in cats and in humans.

So it may be one of these cases where RAW goats milk has an edge over KMR. While processed goats milk is OK to use, but has no edge over kmr.
And or try with some nice probiotic. Preferably containing several different bacterias. If you dont find anything else, some mild yoghurt with added acidophilus and bifidus bacteriae added. I believe the brand of Fage / Phage, sold in USA, has it all.

Also, I want to mention, continue with the usual stage I kmr, do not use the stage II type supposed for older kittens. We have noticed this may cause disturbations in many kittens...

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the timeline
12 days old. Noticed yellow foul runny poop. Albon for 5 days. Nothing changed. So they were then put on Panacur and amoxicillin. 5 days panacur - 7 days amoxicillin. After the 7 days I gave probiotics twice a day for 5 days.
Still had diarrhea. Took them off goats milk and mixed KMR with water instead. Fed Purina One Kitten kibble.Stools became solid.
Started feeding Fancy Feast kitten. Diarrhea started again. Switched the one (who had the diarrhea) to Pure Balance starter. Still had diarrhea.
Took them off canned food and only fed kibble. Solid stools again.
Gave a couple of saucers of KMR. Diarrhea again.
Took them off KMR, only kibble again.
Two of them still have diarrhea.
They will be in their 8th week Monday.
This has gone on way too long and I am at my wits end trying to figure out what these poor kittens need.
The tortie has an iron constitution because other than the Giardia, nothing has bothered her. It's only the two gingers that I'm adopting. I know they didn't re-infect, nothing could have survived my sterilization for the Giardia.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is a head-scratcher. Are the gingers back to formed stools today?

What color is the diarrhea? Is it straight liquid?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's still diarrhea. Brown to darker - normal poop color. It's not watery, more of a 'soft serve'.
I was going to drop off the stool sample today, but we are under a high wind advisory 'til Monday. The shelter is in the next town 45 miles away. Don't want to risk driving on the highway in this mess.

Edit: It's only 17 miles as the crow flies. Maybe I could throw it into the air and have them catch it. lol

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I'm an idiot. Was on another thread about poop, and mice, and suddenly realized that I had moved the kitten playpen over along the wall. Not 1' from the ultrasonic mouse/rat repeller. Even though they are not bothered by the noise, they can still hear it. I did a quick google on ultrasonic noise and cats, and discovered that they can be stressed by it. And it was not even a foot away. OMG, I forgot it was even there. So now that I unplugged it, I'll see if things improve.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There's a thought! It will be interesting to see if the kittens improve.