Senior Supplements

whittwhitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! It's been years since I've posted here but I'm looking for some advice on basic senior cat care. My kitty is going on 12 this year and I'm looking for ways to keep him healthy. He has no issues with movement, normal energy level, very aware and alert, his left eye waters pretty regularly - I've heard L-Lysine works great for that, he doesn't have feline herpes, he sheds a ton (I could definitely step up my brushing for him), I've started cleaning his teeth, other than those things he's a lively kitty!

So I was looking into giving him Cosequin or Dasuquin, L-Lysine, and a probiotic, all daily from what I can tell. But wasn't sure if that's too much or if some of their benefits overlap and I'd be fine to give him two of those instead - basically what do you guys give your senior cats for basic life improvement in their old age?

Thanks for any help!

20200817_090915.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one has responded to your post yet. I don't have a lot to offer, but I did start Feeby (16+ yo) on a supplement for arthritis 2-3 years ago. It is Glyco Flex Plus (glucosamine, chondroitin, & green lipped mussels), which is OTC that are large chewables which can be easily cut up into smaller pieces, and even crushed to add to wet food/treats. She was limping when I started and then she stopped after about 3-4 weeks. I do have stair steps for her to use to get to the places she used to freely jump up/down from and she uses those religiously. She does have an occasional limp immediately after getting up from one of her long naps, but otherwise she is OK.

I'll leave the rest of your questions about supplements to other members more experienced with those aspects.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I give my 12 year olds probiotics, and that's it. They aren't showing any signs of arthritis, but my previous senior DID, so he got Cosequin on a daily basis, which did seem to help. I'm not sure what might be causing the watery eye, has your Vet ever said? I know the L-Lysine seems to help with that for some, but think it's normally because of Herpes. Worth a try though. Otherwise, as long as he's healthy and you are feeding a nutritionally complete diet, he shouldn't really need anything else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whittwhitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I give my 12 year olds probiotics, and that's it. They aren't showing any signs of arthritis, but my previous senior DID, so he got Cosequin on a daily basis, which did seem to help. I'm not sure what might be causing the watery eye, has your Vet ever said? I know the L-Lysine seems to help with that for some, but think it's normally because of Herpes. Worth a try though. Otherwise, as long as he's healthy and you are feeding a nutritionally complete diet, he shouldn't really need anything else.
What probiotic would you recommend?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What probiotic would you recommend?

There are so many brands out there to choose from. Many opt for a Human probiotic because of the higher CFU counts available, more bacteria strains, and quality control testing. Many pet probiotics have a low CFU and maybe just one or two bacteria strains and none go through any rigorous quality control. Most vets don't know anything about using probiotics. FortiFlora isn't a very good probiotic / supplement to use. The only thing FortiFlora is really good for is to entice inappetant cats to eat.

Take a read through these:

I'd start with a product with a fairly low CFU count to avoid any possible tummy issues. A general suggested daily dose for cats is half a capsule daily. Open the capsule and sprinkle half into canned food. Put the capsule halves back together and save it for the next time. Obviously don't put it back in the bottle because you won't know which one to use next time :) Put it in a labeled baggie or small container and keep it with the bottle.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I have two 17-year-olds with advanced arthritis. They’re getting Cosequin and fish oil daily. If you aren’t seeing any signs of arthritis, you might hold off on the Cosequin for now, but I think the addition of Omega 3’s in the form of fish oil can be beneficial. I’m adding fish oil to my 7-year-old’s food now.

One of the old ladies also gets a daily probiotic for her sensitive tummy. She was vomiting her morning meal a few times a month, but since I started her on probiotics, she almost never vomits. I should probably give them all probiotics but I don’t.

And I add a bit of Miralax to the old ladies’ food to help with constipation.

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two 17-year-olds with advanced arthritis. They’re getting Cosequin and fish oil daily. If you aren’t seeing any signs of arthritis, you might hold off on the Cosequin for now, but I think the addition of Omega 3’s in the form of fish oil can be beneficial. I’m adding fish oil to my 7-year-old’s food now.

One of the old ladies also gets a daily probiotic for her sensitive tummy. She was vomiting her morning meal a few times a month, but since I started her on probiotics, she almost never vomits. I should probably give them all probiotics but I don’t.

And I add a bit of Miralax to the old ladies’ food to help with constipation.
Is there a brand of omega 3’s that you prefer?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Is there a brand of omega 3’s that you prefer?
I was using Nature Made brand fish oil capsules (human supplements that I bought at Costco), but poking a hole or snipping off the end of the capsules was a real pain as well as extremely messy. So now I use Iceland Pure Sardine Anchovy oil that comes in a pump bottle. Several TCS members use it. You just squirt it in their wet food and mix it well. I’ve bought it from Chewy and Amazon, but my local indy pet supply store carries it, too.
B65E4674-A9D6-457C-8671-9765B88AD0DA.jpeg
And I ended up taking the Nature Made capsules myself! :)

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was using Nature Made brand fish oil capsules (human supplements that I bought at Costco), but poking a hole or snipping off the end of the capsules was a real pain as well as extremely messy. So now I use Iceland Pure Sardine Anchovy oil that comes in a pump bottle. Several TCS members use it. You just squirt it in their wet food and mix it well. I’ve bought it from Chewy and Amazon, but my local indy pet supply store carries it, too.
View attachment 387045
And I ended up taking the Nature Made capsules myself! :)
Thanks!