Senior outdoor cat has very bony back.

vipers_rule

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's pretty much always had a very bony back, she's about 10 to 12 years old. Eats ok, nothing else really off. Anyone else have an older cat with a very bony back?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Senior cats do tend to lose muscle mass, so they can come across a bit bony along the spine. But tbh your cat is a bit young for it to be so drastic. It might be that she is on the thinner side to begin with, but as mentioned above, she probably should have a full vet checkup - blood work (CBC, Chemistry panel, thyroid level) and a physical exam - to see if there is anything brewing health wise. Your cat is about the age where medical issues can begin to start.

How much does she weigh, and is it less than it used to be? Does she eat less than she used to?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Senior cats do tend to lose muscle mass, so they can come across a bit bony along the spine.
:yeah: I agree! In fact, the last few times I brought our cat to the groomer I also noticed I could feel the bones along his spine. It's definitely a loss of muscle mass. Even as humans age they lose 20-40% of muscle tissue as well as some strength.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vipers_rule

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Senior cats do tend to lose muscle mass, so they can come across a bit bony along the spine. But tbh your cat is a bit young for it to be so drastic. It might be that she is on the thinner side to begin with, but as mentioned above, she probably should have a full vet checkup - blood work (CBC, Chemistry panel, thyroid level) and a physical exam - to see if there is anything brewing health wise. Your cat is about the age where medical issues can begin to start.

How much does she weigh, and is it less than it used to be? Does she eat less than she used to?
about the same, not sure the weight. not alot. shes healthy otherwise.

vipers_rule

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

i agree on the vet tests but money is an issue, esp. when you feed and care for around 25 plus cats a day. been doing colony care taking/tnr for 10 years; spent well over $120,000. i do not make alot of money.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
My angel Poppycat was able to avoid the bony spine, I think in part because I got some higher calorie food into him. I don't know if you have an option to get her apart from the other cats and feed her some extra?

vipers_rule

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My angel Poppycat was able to avoid the bony spine, I think in part because I got some higher calorie food into him. I don't know if you have an option to get her apart from the other cats and feed her some extra?
just starting to do that at my side window in driveway, other cats come soon after though. i bought the high calorie recovery vet food with lots of good fats and whatnot tonight- ill be feeding her mainly that food to her, plus the kibble and treats like temptations; also try to give her tuna too.

vipers_rule

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
tried to put a short video of her from my facebook.