Senior Kitty Becoming Deaf

Catnboxers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I've done a bit of searching and didnt quite find information I was looking for. She's regularly followed by her vet no worries, Its really the changing behavior and adaption we need help with.
My 17yr old Tigger has been losing her hearing for the past year, in the last few months it's pretty much total. Otherwise in good health, just a little arthritis, she's not adapting well to the hearing loss. Never a vocal cat she now endlessly meows, sometimes at all hours when she can't find us ( the dogs and I). All is fine when she does, she happily comes and cuddles etc.. but I'm just at a loss on how to help her adjust. She's always been very independent and I'd like to find her a good balance.
Mind you my dogs are also seniors 10yrs old and they're becoming a bit on edge with it. I guess it's also because she seems to "scream" which I can only figure is her attempt at talking louder to hear herself. She's the cat that knows her name, commands always so responsive to hearing my voice etc.. I'm sure it's so confusing for her. If anyone can offer good tips on dealing with a senior and hearing loss it be greatly appreciated:)))) ty!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hummmmm...Not sure on this one, as I haven't dealt with it before, not the meowing. I am including a link to an article here that may have some ideas for you, though!

The Deaf Cat

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi C Catnboxers :hithere:

I'm sorry you haven't had more replies before now. It's pretty common for deaf cats to meow extra loudly...most likely because they're trying to hear themselves. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that there's much you can do about it. I know mservant mservant went through this with her old girls, so maybe she'll have some more ideas.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Again, very sorry you didn't receive more replies C Catnboxers .
How are you and Tigger getting on? Columbine is right, I did go through this with my previous cats, although they were both quite vocal even before their hearing started to fail. Initially I wondered if the high volume calling one of my cats started to at night was down to memory issues but she was as sharp as a needle when it came to acclimatizing to any changes around the home so I began to realize what whas going on. Sadly she developed other health problems but about a year after I had to say good to her the same thing started up with her sister.... To add to the challenge this sister had lost her sight due to high blood pressure in that year. Her meow was painful to hear, it was so loud and piercing. I could even hear it out in the street when the windows were shut and I live in an upper flat!
The most useful strategy was the one described in the article Mamany1953 has linked to, of using things like stomping on the floor so your cat can sense vibration telling them where you are or that something is happening.
I also used to stroke or lift her up approaching her from where she would possibly see me, and with more like a stroking motion so she had some warning of what I was doing and would hopefully feel more secure. I often used to carry her from room to room with me so she didn't suddenly wonder where I was, and started to do this because of how she would call anxiously if she realized I had gone.
The other thing I did was make use of familiar scents around the home and on me so she hopefully learnt to compensate for the senses she had lost and I do think that helped a bit. Esp when food was on offer or a little snuggle time. I would use blowing at her or wafting throws and bedding a little so she would sense a breeze to get her attention and then she would know she could come join me where I was laying or sitting - I always had to lift her up as she had arthritis too so climbing and jumping had become too hard for her. She had endless comfy cushions and spaces at floor level that she could wander up to and flop down in to, and I guess she also felt floor vibrations better there so got more feedback about what was going on around her too.
Letting her know when I had gone out was important so I tried to stick to a routine for when I was going out and my doing a set order of these things this let her know she was going to have some quiet time - then I'd be sure to go find her in which ever comfy spot she was when I came back home too so she knew I was back. I prefer not to think how much time she spent calling when she was on her own but I would ask neighbours from time to time if they had heard her.
Good luck - I do feel confident that both my cats had a good quality of life even after they lost their sight and hearing, and they both managed to get up to all sorts of antics despite their challenges. I wish I could say the meowing became less painful to hear but what I can offer is that I did manage to reduce the length and frequency of when they seemed to be distressed.