Senior cat's environment

bridget

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not sure which section this post belongs in. I have a senior cat, Snowball, who is 16. She is almost blind and the vet believes she has had several small strokes. She sometimes walks in circles and goes in for a steroid shot every few weeks, which seems to help. She is mobile and vocal when hungry.

Here is her history: We have had Snowball since she was a kitten. She never really acclimated to our household or bonded strongly with humans. We had at the time a very active household with multiple cats (we're down to 3 now), dogs and young children. Thinking back, I think I probably should have tried to rehome her to a quieter household, but I didn't, and it's too late now. As a result, Snowball has always spent most of her time in our basement. I have never been comfortable with this, as our basement is unfinished and not real nice, but I finally accepted it as her choice.

Anyhow, now given her health problems and her age, we have become extremely uncomfortable with Snowball more or less living in the basement. We do get water when it rains a lot and now that she is blind, she can't avoid walking in it and also it is cold down there. So, we have confined her with a baby gate to a warm room upstairs. She has her food, water and bed and litter box. However, Snowball seems unhappy. I think she misses the other cats, who cannot get in there. This morning I took her out to feed her her breakfast and let her go and after eating, she high tailed it to the basement. Are we being cruel to insist she stay upstairs after all these years? Seems like what might be best for her physically may not be best emotionally. We just want her last days to be quality. Any opinions would be welcome. Thank you.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww sweet Snowball. That was my very first kitty's name. I'm just guessing here but maybe she feels safer in the basement because that's where she's been living for so long. Also, since she's blind, she might get very anxious in other parts of the house. Different sounds and smells are very acute since she has no vision. I would worry about an elderly kitty in a damp basement. good luck and bless her sweet little heart. It sounds like you have the right idea keeping her upstairs where it's warm. I would say that it's just going to take time for her to adjust. What kitties really want isn't always good for them.