Senior Cat Yowling Constantly

nsc1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My older cat will be 16 next month. Bijou has an eye condition (from birth) that causes her to be partially blind, but otherwise is in good shape and has clean bill of health from the vet (full blood work up just last month). She's Siamese and has always been talkative, but lately she has started following me around and yowling any time I'm not sitting on the couch. If I get up for anything, for any length of time, she follows me around making noise. As soon as I sit back down she plops down on the couch or on the living room rug and goes to sleep. Several years ago she began doing this when I talked on the phone, which forced me to go into the bedroom and close door any time I needed to take or make a call. (at which point she would stand outside the door and yowl.)

This constant yowling has been ramping up over the summer. I discussed it with the vet and he suspects she may be developing some age-related behavior issues that could include a condition similar to dementia. We talked about the possibility of anxiety, but I don't think that's the case because I have a camera in my apartment that I can watch during the day and she isn't agitated when I'm not here. I'm trying to be sympathetic, but I'm starting to go a little crazy. Help?

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello & Welcome.

16 years old.  Wow, you're very lucky.  Since the vet doesn't think there is much to do about it, while it can probably grate your last nerve at times, I would say be patient.  I know with my aunt, when she developed dementia, she was what we thought was "needy" when we were around, but then after I did research and went to a seminar on it, I realized that she wasn't needy, she wanted us around because she was sacred.

It could be when you're gone Bijou gets into her own routine, but when you are there, she's feeling comfort and feels better when you're around.

I don't have much experience with pet meds, but is there something the vet can give her to calm her in the evenings when your home.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I wish you and Bijou the best.