Senior Cat with Chronic Diarrhea

AJC123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some insight to help stop my cats chronic diarrhea. He has never had such long-term diarrhea before. We have been to the vet multiple times and given all sorts of medications but as of yet no fix. Some quick background: Taz is 12 years of age, neutered male, FIV+, has heart murmur, cured from hyperthyroidism this year, still eating and drinking, always makes it to the litterbox with his diarrhea, seems behaviorally normal. Is on anti-diarrhea medications for the past couple weeks, is being given pumpkin puree and now starting FortiFlora probiotics. Urinalysis, Fecal and Xray has all been done in the past month, last bloodwork was in June and that did not show anything alarming. He has a prescription for Fluoxetine for anxiety (was overgrooming hind legs in previous years) but I have not needed to give him it in the past few months because he seems content now. He is my most expensive free thing I have ever received.

More medical background of our year:

*2/2- Diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (Bloodwork, chest x-ray and fecal exam performed. Fecal was clear, heart showed slight enlargement)

*3/15- Had I-131 (radioactive iodine therapy to cure hyperthyroidism). After this, his personality changed to lethargic and sleeping almost the entire day where even before having hyperthyroidism he was active

*MARCH transitioned from Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Ultamino Dry cat food (put on because of belief he had a food allergy for the overgrooming over a year ago. Switched from this food because we had to put my other cat down in January from un-diagonosed hyperthyroidism that led to a stroke. The cats were not related, only big change from their last bloodwork that was good was the food) TO Taste of the Wild Prey Turkey Limited Ingredient dry cat food.

*6/24- Bloodwork/fecal exam were clear. No signs of hyperthyroidism

*9/23- Took him into our vet because he was being sensitive about his back end being touched and showing signs of anal gland leakage. Had anal glands expressed because they were full. Vet sedated him and did an X-ray. Found out he has arthritis in the spine and a crack in the fused vertebrae (still jumps up and down furniture, goes up and down stairs, uses litterbox with no hesitation or complaint and generally acts like he is not hurt). Vet could see evidence of long time diarrhea (at this point stools were soft but formed). Given Gabapentin for pain and Metronidazole for diarrhea.

*9/27- Took in because I noticed a divot in his eye lens. He also hadn't pooped in 3 days or urinated in 2 days. He was sedated. Vet noted bladder was full but she couldn’t express him. Catheter was put in and she cleared out a mucus plug, he stayed overnight. Urinalysis was clear. Came home with 2 eye drops for lens scratches in both eyes (Idoxuridine Opthalmic Solution and Ofloxacin Opth with Serum added). Was able to receive Solensia injection (for arthritis relief).

*Stopped Gabapentine after a week. DID NOT POOP 9/23 – 9/30. Then started have liquid diarrhea and cow patty diarrhea, occasionally with red blood streaks or globs of blood at the end of defecating.

*10/9- Given more Metronidazole suspension and Endosorb suspension

*10/11- Went to Vet for eyes recheck, healed. Fecal keyscreen was clear. Started transitioning from Call of the Wild Prey cat food to N&P Farmina Pumpkin Venison dry cat food. Told by vet Call of the Wild could be the irritant to his system. Started giving pumpkin puree to him as well.

*10/15- Present day: still having diarrhea but it has not been liquid in a few days. No red blood streaks. Has super soft formed stool, others cow patties and mostly the stool is a mix of both. Has had black mucus coating some of the stool occasionally now. Still giving pumpkin puree, Metronidazole and Endsorb. Still transitioning his dry food. Taz is still eating and drinking, and now getting a little playful during the day. Just started FortiFlora and Wellness Core Digestive wet food because I figured it could not hurt to try.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone might have!

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try s boulardii, it always works for my cats. Its a pre and probiotic. I use Jarrow, half a capsule mixed in the food twice a day or diluted in a little water and syringed. After 2/3 days you should see a difference.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Has there been any discussion about antiretroviral drugs - assuming the diarrhea might be related to his FIV status? How about a fecal PCR panel (much more inclusive than standard fecal testing because it looks for various bacterial/viral issues)?
Overview of FIV and Chronic Diarrhea (fivtherapy.com)

Fortiflora isn't much of a probiotic to speak of. S. boulardii, as mentioned above, might be a better probiotic to try.

Another thing to consider, if food intolerance is suspected, is a hydrolyzed food.
9 Best Hydrolyzed Protein Cat Food in 2022 (petsumer.com)
The Best 5 Hydrolyzed Protein Cat Food: Benefits, Reviews, and Ingredient Analysis (veterinarians.org)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AJC123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone so much for all this information!! I have been floundering trying to help him. I will be getting S Boulardii (never heard of it before! Glad to find out about it) and continue trying wet food (lil man can be picky about wet food). Luckily he has always been great about drinking water.

His most recent fecal screen was a GI Parasite PCR where he showed he was clear from 25+ parasites. They did have to rerun the test, I guess because something went wrong the first go. I did not realize there are different fecal screenings!

There has been no discussion about antiretroviral drugs but I'll bring it up on my next visit that is coming up in a week(which is for his 2nd injection of Solensia). Gotta have this ole boy healthy for a few more years!

Thanks for the info on FortiFlora! I thought it was the go to because for my previous cat (who had GI issues) we were prescribed it.

He has not had GI issues like this before, especially not for such an extended time. He has had a lot of stress and hospital stays overnight this year so that could factor into triggering FIV side effects more. If he doesn't do well with his new food I will be looking into switching to hydrolyzed protein. The vet had said Call of the Wild was known to put white potato in their dry cat food but wasn't sure if they still did. I didn't notice that listed in their ingredients but I'm still currently transitioning the food to Farmina.

I am hoping any of these suggestions work! I feel like a new owner of a cat even though I've owned them most of my life. Glad these boards exist! Tazzy boy thanks everyone for taking the time to help us out!

Attachments