Senior Cat Urinating and Pooping All over the House

ericann126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 13-year-old cat. He is my husband’s baby. The cat has always been unfriendly and mean to others besides my husband. The cat has bitten and scratched me a couple times. 

Our cat is having bowel movements all around the house on the carpet and furniture. We brought him to the vet and he checked out healthily. Only problem is that he keeps losing weight. When he was little, he had parasites and intestinal issues pretty bad. He is on special digestive food now.

We started him on prednisone to help him gain weight on 2/13/16. He has yet to gain weight, but has started to urinate in the house. He actually did it right in front of me and he was searching for a spot. He has two litter boxes now that are cleaned daily. 

The cat has days where he does not groom himself and friends/family say he smells like “death.”

The Prednisone dose was cut in half to help stop the urination on Sat 2/27/16. That same day he started throwing up again. This morning 3/2/16 I woke up to find a bowel movement on a blanket that had blood in it. 

The vet ordered Metronidazole. It says it is an anti-diarrheal medication used to treat inflation of the large intestine and protozoal/bacterial infections.

I feel like my husband is in denial about his cat. I think it is almost time to put him down. The vet thinks he might have intestinal cancer, and she keeps having us come in. I am 13 weeks pregnant and afraid to sit anywhere in our house because I don’t know if the cat urinated or had a bowel movement there.

Do you think these treatments are appropriate and we should give it more time? Is it time to consider putting him down for comfort? Thoughts?

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From what you are describing, it seriously sounds like he is indeed dying. If you think he is in pain, then I suggest you euthanize him. If he seems like he's  not in too much pain, the best think you can do is to keep him comfortable.

I am very sorry for your loss. 

Last edited by a moderator:

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just tonight my almost 17 year old cat stood to go pee on mat (rubber base thank god)at front door..if he goes outside the kitty box all -because he's a wonderful very very clean freak himself - tells me that things aren't going well for him.  It's just been a sign, not Permanent, just saying, been losing weight since 14-15.  An older cat will require more hands on help going through stages I give a bath every other week. brush out mats. Administering meds to deal with side effects from condition doesn't solve the condition 
  I've not experienced anything else that you have other than thyroid issues. Hopefully someone else can offer a better prognosis for you. 
  cats can live into their 20's. 

Last edited:

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did the vet run a CBC to look for kidney disease, diabetes, liver problems, etc? Or did they just throw drugs at him to try and deal with the symptoms? Does he have arthritis? How often do you scoop the boxes and where/how many do you have? 

Steroids will make a cat (or a person) drink lots and lots of extra fluids. The poor guy probably is having problems making it to the box to go. 

What does he eat? How much a day?

If his poo has fresh blood in it, like bright red, the blood is from lower in his digestive tract. It can happen after having diarrhea for awhile because their bums get irritated.

Describe in more detail what he smells like. Is it a sickly sweet smell?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ericann126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! Here are some answers to your questions:

He (cat) currently eats Pure Vita food.  He eats about 2 cups of food a day.

We have two litter boxes in the house and clean both each day.  

His smell comes and goes.  About one day a week he doesn't clean himself well when we are gone for the day.  But if we are around he does not smell.

He does not have arthritis to our knowledge. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ericann126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had another vet do a second opinion.  Second vet believes kitty has intestinal cancer (which makes sense).