Senior cat taking a turn for the worst tonight...

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All these stories make me cry...I've been here dealing with an old cat way to often and I struggle each and everytime..She ate and drank and has kept it all down for 4 plus hrs now...the vets called to see how her night was....I had asked what they would do if I brought her in again....they said  they would like to do blood work again...I honestly feel there is no point..cause treatment would just be sub Q...like the last time..Anyways her appointment is for 4 today...I'll let u know...thanks for being there for me...its comforting to know u can come on here any times of the  day and someone will always answer ..I love this site...

Nancy
That's why these decisions are never easy.  It's so confusing and on top of it the emotions are taking over and it get's overwhelming.  Keep a level head and don't feel pressured to make any decisions other than what feels right for you and your loved one.  If you honestly feel there is no point and you are ready to let go, ask the vet if there is anything you can have on hand if your pet does take a turn after hours.  Personally, I would go with the sub-q route, your vet can advise you better than I can though.

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sub q fluids for treatment of ckd are very common.  Many kitties tolerate sub q very well.  If you do it every other day, or however often your vet detrmines is necessary, this could be all that is needed for your kitty.  I would definitely pursue doing sub q at home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She was dyhdrated...they wanted to do more testing...but I just thought enough...she hate hate hates having her blood drawn...so we just went for the fluids...Its funny ...I like my vets its acutally a teaching hospital changing vets alot...but there are some main ones that have been there for years...I had to take her to one I haven't seen b4...I mentioned the fluids at home and felt I got alittle resistance..until she heard I have done it at home b4 several years ago I had a diabetic cat who's kidney's got bad....I did it for months b4 his death...

She talked about alot of stuff I have heard b4 but she mentioned she could also have reflux ? That was new to me as I was told that could be another reason why she didn't want to eat as well yesterday morning...so I have been feeding her 4 times a day ..small meals with alot of liquid added...she is  back drinking alot...and feeling as good as she was feeling b4 the other night...so she is back to holding her own for now...til the next episode..I have a friend who keeps telling me to just put her down...why do u want her to feel so bad...why not end it b4 she really suffers...:( Maybe there is some truth to that but its so so difficult for me ...anyways....thanks for all the help..I'll keep you posted on Lucky's health..

Nancy

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do feel for you - I went through this years ago with CRF, and it is so difficult to know when to let go. But I think Lucky is not ready to go yet, and she will let you know when she is. MAny vibes for you bot, you are doing great.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
...I mentioned the fluids at home and felt I got alittle resistance..until she heard I have done it at home b4 several years ago I had a diabetic cat who's kidney's got bad....I did it for months b4 his death...
  I'm not surprised because I have run into this as well.  I have always had to ask, it was never suggested.  What I don't understand is why, since this simple proceedure can make such a difference, for a variety or ailments.  But once they find out you have done it or are willing, they are then usually very supportive.   

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She was dyhdrated

she is  back drinking alot...and feeling as good as she was feeling b4 the other night...so she is back to holding her own for now...til the next episode.

"I have a friend who keeps telling me to just put her down..."

Nancy
Nancy,  it sounds like that's your answer for now, keep her hydrated.

Please don't listen to 'friends' who would ever say such a thing.  Only you know your cat.  As long as she still has a good quality of life, and from what I've learned from your posts she does, why put her down when you might even get a few more years with fluids?  BTW, I had a 'friend', who less than one week after Toby died, who told me "You need to snap out of it !   Keep in mind, this same friend, had cried on my shoulder for months when her golden retriever died. 
  And on that particular day, the vet called to say his ashes were ready!   Honestly, I have not spoken to her since telling her off!

Last edited: