Senior Cat Supplements & Milk Thistle

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Earlier my cat, Bean Bean, was diagnosed with Diabetes and some liver issues.
We managed to keep them under control and now still giving the liver pills, tonics and completing the course of the antibiotics.

I saw "Milk Thistle" was good for liver issues or fatty liver.
I want to ask is currently, he is on "RxVitamins Hepato Support" capsules as the liver tonic/protectant, do i have to wait to give Milk Thistle? Also for this supplement, is it the same kind for humans like this link and how much is recommend for cats?
[$16.50](▼56%)[Puritans Pride]★Hangover Remedy★ Puritans Pride Milk Thistle Extract 1000 mg / 90 Softgels / Liver Repair !

I also read that senior cats like mine, 10 years and above need to start on some supplements to help them. What kind of supplements is recommended?

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I can’t help with the supplements question, but when my senior boy was diagnosed with diabetes, we struggled with it for almost three years before I stumbled on Feline Diabetes —Diabetes in Cats — Treatment and Diabetic Cat Info — FDMB. It’s another wonderful community like TCS of people whose kitties are diabetic. Tremendous support and loads of info, including insulin-specific subforums for those administering one of the different kinds insulin like Lantus or Prozinc. I wish I’d found them sooner to give my guy better care.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I could not find any interactions between Milk Thistle and ANYTHING, insofar as humans go. This is the FB page for the American Holistic Veterinary Medicine Association. You may be able to post your question there and get an answer from a professional in the use of herbs in cats!

American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can’t help with the supplements question, but when my senior boy was diagnosed with diabetes, we struggled with it for almost three years before I stumbled on Feline Diabetes —Diabetes in Cats — Treatment and Diabetic Cat Info — FDMB. It’s another wonderful community like TCS of people whose kitties are diabetic. Tremendous support and loads of info, including insulin-specific subforums for those administering one of the different kinds insulin like Lantus or Prozinc. I wish I’d found them sooner to give my guy better care.
Thanks very much for the link, will go through in details.
I am given Lantus kind of insulin to inject for my cat which is supposed to be long-acting for type 2.

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I could not find any interactions between Milk Thistle and ANYTHING, insofar as humans go. This is the FB page for the American Holistic Veterinary Medicine Association. You may be able to post your question there and get an answer from a professional in the use of herbs in cats!

American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association
Thanks for the page, will post my question to the FB messenger to ask my question there as well.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you get any decent information on this, remember to share it with us! It will certainly come up again at some point!

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you get any decent information on this, remember to share it with us! It will certainly come up again at some point!
Hi Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , I did post my question but have not got a reply so far.
From my further research in stores which sells the Milk Thistle for pets, it seems that many are getting good results with it:
Milk Thistle for Pets | Pet Wellbeing
Milk Thistle Benefits for Pets — Chewy

Product / Good reviews from pet owners:
NHV Milk Thistle for Dogs - All-Natural Liver Support
Liver Health Products Archives - Rx Vitamins for Pets

I have also found the liver tonic /protectant pill my vet prescribed RxVitamins Hepato Support Capsules, it also contains Milk Thistle as main ingredient and some good vitamins for the overall management of cats and dogs.

But i think it it important to still seek advice from the vet on the dosage and frequency of giving it.

Another research i found was about senior cats dealing with hyperthyroidism. Need to do more study before i can share any good sources.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did see those, actually, but really wanted to find something from places NOT selling the product to bring to you! Now, if it were my own cat, that wouldn't have been such a very big deal, but I'm far, far more cautious about things here.

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did see those, actually, but really wanted to find something from places NOT selling the product to bring to you! Now, if it were my own cat, that wouldn't have been such a very big deal, but I'm far, far more cautious about things here.
Yes, i am also wary about reviews than actual inputs from pet owners directly.
Thus, have to be careful and also need advice from the vet to give the proper types and amounts suitable for my cat.

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Just a note, I think your cat is fortunate to have you:) !
Thank you for your encouragement and thanks to many people here whom have shown help in one way or another. Most of us felt lost and lonely when dealing with our pets' situations and this site is great for everyone to share our experiences and information.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
By the way, i don't think anyone answered this part....regarding supplements, are you thinking of things like fish oil and probotics?

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By the way, i don't think anyone answered this part....regarding supplements, are you thinking of things like fish oil and probotics?
hi Furballsmom Furballsmom , yes was thinking along the line of a maintaining a senior cat's nutrients if it cannot be absorb much from food. I read some are good for immune system, some good for kidney/liver maintenance or preventing arthritis/ strengthen joints etc. I am thinking i should not start late and regret not slowly adding these to this supplements if i could.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use a human dietary supplement fish oil, sundown naturals is the brand, 1000 mg. I just use a pin to pierce one end of the soft gel and squeeze the contents over a food, whether that's no-garlic no-onion baby food like Gerber stage 2, or one of his other wet treats.
You can also add to your cats diet with freeze dried purebites or orijen treats...
Minnows, boar, etc.
And there are probiotics such as Tummyworks or Animal Essentials.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! There's another supplement I thought of this morning after watching my furry boy trot across the deck. He's 13, and seemed a little stiff this morning.

There are supplements for joint health, I have Pet Naturals of Vermont hip & joint treats.

Each treat is fairly large, too big for even a large cat to handle so I cut them into smaller pieces, and actually only give him about half of a treat.

I don't know where you're located but walgreen's has a pill cutter that works to cut treats like this, and contains all the little bits that break off and keeps them from flying all over the kitchen ;)

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use a human dietary supplement fish oil, sundown naturals is the brand, 1000 mg. I just use a pin to pierce one end of the soft gel and squeeze the contents over a food, whether that's no-garlic no-onion baby food like Gerber stage 2, or one of his other wet treats.
You can also add to your cats diet with freeze dried purebites or orijen treats...
Minnows, boar, etc.
And there are probiotics such as Tummyworks or Animal Essentials.
Hi Furballsmom Furballsmom , wow, thanks for all the information. Yes, since he was diagnosed as diabetic, i started looking for treats suitable for him. So far he likes freeze dried chicken breast.

Initially, he likes the Orijen treats (very strong smell) too, but after he seems to be allergic to the "Fit & Trim" kibbles, i think it is due to the fish ingredients, he also stop eating the treats together. I realised when his fur became quite dry despite the subq.

Since then, i found a single protein food, AATU Free Run Duck for him and he likes it. His fur started to be soft and silky again. I slowly added back Salmon that he llikes from Fussie. I don't think it is due to chicken as he has been having mix of the wellness indoor kibbles (chicken) as well.

I will take a look at the treats if it is available in where i am and also the link of information. thanks again!