Senior cat may be a bit lonely

DebbieLamb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Sammy, is 16 years old and other than hyperthyroid and being deaf, is in pretty good health. We lost his sister (from another litter) two weeks ago. He seemed to be adjusting fine and still is, but I think he's missing her and is not really aware that's what he's missing. They weren't that close but there were times they'd groom each other.

He's now seeking attention from my dog. He's always been okay with my dog, but he's never really sought out attention from her before. She's always good with cats but it confuses her and makes her a bit nervous because she's not sure what to do. I've been kind of leaving him alone when he wants, giving him attention when he wants but he does seem a bit lonely.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... poor Sammy. Cats do mourn, as per this TCS article: Do Cats Mourn? – TheCatSite Articles

It's nice that he's seeking attention from your dog. Hopefully they'll become buddies. :catrub:

Hugs and condolences to you, as well, with the loss of Sammy's sister. 🤗 RIP sweet kitty. :angel:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't get another cat. People often do it because they think their senior cat will benefit, and while getting lucky is certainly possible, it rarely works out particularly well. The older a cat gets, generally the less adaptible and the harder the adjustment to a new pet. With a 16 year old, its not worth it to do for the older cat as a potentially long period of stress followed by disinterest is fairly likely. If you feel you really need another cat that is a different story, but its not a good idea to do it on the older cats behalf.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DebbieLamb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't get another cat. People often do it because they think their senior cat will benefit, and while getting lucky is certainly possible, it rarely works out particularly well. The older a cat gets, generally the less adaptible and the harder the adjustment to a new pet. With a 16 year old, its not worth it to do for the older cat as a potentially long period of stress followed by disinterest is fairly likely. If you feel you really need another cat that is a different story, but its not a good idea to do it on the older cats behalf.
Thanks. I wasn't really considering another cat. I did have the thought run through my mind, but he's 16. I know he misses her but at the same time, he's got access to all the prime sleeping spots.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even when cats don't look close to us, they can well be. A cat considers that he's sharing a very good and sincere time with another person or cat when they are just sitting in the same room. (see he loves you more than you thought.) His world has just been shattered. He's grieving and seeking comfort from the dog who is also grieving the lost of their companion. A new companion could well be more distressing than not. A new one will not be the lost one. Let them grieve, give extra attention, cozy places, and quiet for them both. Their grief can take as long as human grief, yes, really, and it is enough stress by itself.