Senior cat litter box

KJIA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

Curious if anyone would have suggestions on a litter box set up for a senior kitty that is accidentally missing the box? I have a large litter box that is high on three sides and lower on one side. This way my cat only enters and exits on one side of the box, which has her walking over a mat to help prevent litter tracking. The issue we're having is that as she is now older and a bit arthritic, she doesn't dig around or squat down to go potty as she used to. Once all four paws are in the box, she stops right there to go. Sometimes she's a bit too close to the edge of the box, and well, we end up with pee outside the box rather than in the box. Any thoughts to encourage her to take a few more steps inside the box or turn around? I'm also planning on getting a water proof tray and puppy pads to put under the litter box for any accidents, but prevention would be ideal!

I thought maybe a box like this with the little grate would force her to be a bit further into the box, and if she has an accident, it would still fall through the grate into the box. However, I need to find one large enough... She's a ragdoll kitty, so she's fairly long and appreciates a good amount of space. If anyone has any recommendations, much appreciated!
Litter box.jpg

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I also have an older arthritic kitty and exactly the same problem. You could try maggie101 maggie101 ’s suggestion of a plastic bin with the side cut out. Some people have had luck with this set up. Because of where the cutout is, kitty enters and has to turn sideways because they can’t fit unless they do. Here’s what it looks like:
IMG_1334.jpeg

I’m relying on pee pads, and while not ideal, it works. I used to have the litter trapper mats in front of the boxes, but she was getting pee in them so I had to move them. But I’ve also inserted pee pads in those, too, because sometimes she doesn’t make it. Helps with clean up.
IMG_5119.jpeg

Probably not much help, but at least you know you’re not alone!

Last edited: