Send some good thoughts my way

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys for caring! I appreciate it, and for your good thoughts, positive energy and prayers. Thank you. It gets worse, though...and it isn't rumors unfortunately, I wish it was, but this came directly from our boss. And now, they have told us that until further notice noone is allowed any time off, vacation days, etc. and the worst part...they are considering making us work SEVEN days a week, TEN hours a day until we are back to where we need to be. Can they legally force us to work 7 days a week 10 hours a day? Does anyone know? I have a baby to take care of, I cannot do this!!!!!!!!!!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Debby someone needs to be well-versed in labor laws to help you.They do vary from state to state, but there are places you can go to and ask for help at no charge. Here is a website where you can at least get started to get some help. They even have a bulletin board where you can post and get answers. Good luck and lots of hugs!!Find Law

whisker's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Debby, I'm just catching up on all these posts. I am so sorry to be posting so late and above all, I am sorry to hear what you are going through. That is definately the last thing you needed right now.

In Canada, it is not legal to enforce work hours over 44 hrs in one week (I do believe that has changed but I may be wrong....Ady is more knowledgeable in this). UNLESS....you signed documents prior to being hired stating that you did not have a problem doing so. Even then, I don't think a company has much ground to stand on when an employee fights for his/her rights.

I cannot even imagine them having the gall to ask an employee to work 7 days a week and 10 hour shifts on top of that!

I am sending as much positive energy and strength your way.

I hope everything works out for you.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes! I do not know what the laws are, except for the fact that is you do actually work a 70 hour work week, 30 of those hours have to be at time and a half, if you are paid hourly.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Debby, I don't think that is legal, but I don't know the law.
I'm so sorry that you are having such troubles with work.
I hope for only the best for you!

elisabeth provo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Debby

you can be sure that everybody who read your mail will send good thoughts your way. You are such a nice person that even should you lose your job you shouldn´t have problems finding a better occupation.So all the best to you for a healthy happy and successful 2003, Love Elisabeth

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Debby, somehow I missed the update, and I'm so sorry to hear it. I've kept you in my prayers, and all I can say is that I'm keeping you there!!!

This is really stressful news. My heart aches for you. I truly, truly believe that everything happens for a reason, and that because you are such a wonderful person, good things will happen to you. It looks and sounds so "dark" right now, and I know there's no apparent light at the end of the tunnel. But in my heart I know it's there, Debby! We're all praying for you or sending our good thoughts and vibes your way - something good will happen for you, I just know it!!!!

big kat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh jeez Debby! I didn't see this until Laurie posted today. What happened with the absurd idea of working around the clock??? I hope it didn't pan out, as it seems like it should be illegal anyway. But I like to think like Laurie was saying that things happen for a reason. Maybe another job option is in store for you, one that won't bring so much stress and worry into your life. Keep us updated. . . I'll be sending good vibes your way!

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Debby, What is happening with the 7 day/10 hour shift idea? Don't the people in charge realize that could reduce productivity even further by causing all the workers additional stress and burnout? Sometimes I wonder how smart the people in upper management really are. Maybe they share a brain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They have decided not to make it mandatory just yet....hopefully they won't. But they are really putting the pressure on people to volunteer to do it. I was actually supposed to work today, but I am sick with a cold and so I got out of it. I will probably have to next Saturday, though. As far as the 10 hours days, I may be able to work a couple extra hours in the day once in awhile, but not in the mornings....I just can't get up at 3:15 am to go in to work! I would have to get the baby up too, there's just no way. I don't get enough sleep as it is. But I may have to stay late at work somedays...I'm hoping not, but if it comes down to losing our jobs with the plant closing, I would rather work extra than be out of a job altogether. Thanks for thinking of me I appreciate it!