Semifrequent loose stools and flatulence

allaboutjack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a 4 year old neutered male cat named Jack. I'm worried about him because I noticed some loose stools in the litter box last Sunday, and since he shares a litter box with my Dad's cat I couldn't be sure who was having the tummy trouble. A few days have passed and I finally determined it was Jack. It seems to happen maybe once a day. He'll start off with a solid bowel movement, but by the end a spurt of pudding-like stool comes out. Its the same color as the solids are, a light tan. I've also noticed that when he cuddles up to me he'll let out the occasional stinky dart, but they're not constant. He's also had some build up of "eye boogers" on and off. I'm not sure if it's a cold or something more serious. He's been on a consistent diet of Blue Buffalo Weight Control with Lifesource Bits for a few months and appears to be at his goal weight, I can feel ribs. His level of energy and interest in activity has only gone up since we moved back home a little over a month ago. Just a few minutes ago we were playing with his toys and he was running around. I know I might just be overreacting, but I want to know if he needs to visit a vet. I appreciate any insight and advice. Thank you!

nevroth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's been 5 days now? Has he eaten anything unusual around that time? Maybe a bit more food or less? Were his stools always light tan or darker before? I've noticed more eye boogers with my cats if I indulge them and let them eat the 'junkie' food (fancy feast or goodlife dry) more often. So for them I believe it's allergies. If the stools were darker brown before and then turned to light tan that may be indicative of a health problem. I'm glad he's acting normally.

I would just watch patiently how it goes. Sometimes my big boy will have stinky stools or a little random runny stool. Usually it goes away on it's own in a day or a few ones. If you notice any change in Jack's appetite or defecating outside the litter box I would make a vet appt. In humans excess flatulence is caused by overactive bacteria in our gut! They pig out on something we've eaten and create the gas that well... has to get out somehow lol.
 Maybe Jack's a little unbalanced, but just keep monitoring him for now.

Don't worry, I over react allll the time ;) It's wonderful to see how concerned you are about your kitty. They are our furbabies 

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These kinds of things are more often than not food related. Did you open a new bag of food lately or introduce any new foods? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allaboutjack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I found out when my mother visited last weekend she gave both cats a combined total of 2 treat bags in one sitting. I'm hoping that was the cause. I did inspect the contents of the litter box up close and in better lighting and noticed quite a few bits of fur in his feces too. I will be having a talk with my mother about the treats, that's absolutely unacceptable.

nevroth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That could be the reason!! It'll probably go away on it's own soon, once he gets back to his normal diet. I bet Jack loves your mom now lol "Grandma lets me eat as many cookies as I want!"