Semi-frequent Vomiting

goblinsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys. I'm hoping one of you kitty experts here might have some guidance for me. Hopefully this is in the right forum, I wasn't sure whether to post here or in raw food.

Goblin is six years old and is (probably) a herpes kitty. He has never had bloodwork done, but my last vet told me it's likely that he has herpes because he gets a URI that manifests as an eye infection about once a year (treated with topical antibiotic in the eye as well as oral L-lysine.)

He has pretty much always vomited a couple times a week. At first I assumed it was because he was eating too fast, as it almost always happened right after he was finished eating and he always threw up whole chunks of food. A while back, he began digging at his ears, and the vet said he had an ear infection that was likely caused by a food allergy, which was probably also the cause of the vomiting.

At that point, I switched him from Friskies canned to Weruva and saw a decrease in vomiting, to about once a week. I'm now currently in the process of switching him to Primal freeze dried raw and he's vomited twice in the last couple of days, but now he's vomiting less food and mostly fur, and only after eating the canned food, never after a raw meal. He has short fur and gets brushed regularly.

I've conversed with a few different vets about this, but what I get told is either that I need to buy him a prescription hairball control diet (which he wouldn't eat even if it did work, he won't eat pate), or that it's just "normal" for cats to vomit. I don't believe that's true. He has yearly wellness exams and has always been deemed healthy aside from the occasional herpes or allergy flare ups.

There are no symptoms other than the vomiting. He's not scratching, is grooming regularly, cat box is normal, and although he's never been super active, he's definitely not lethargic.

I would like to switch him fully to the FD raw but I was trying to make a slower transition because he has had some constipation issues in the past (twice, cleared up by IV fluid and laxative) and I've heard the bone content in raw food can sometimes cause issues of that sort, though he seems fine on that front thus far.

Suggestions? Should I keep going with the FD, or go back to the Weruva or a different canned? I unfortunately don't have the money to go vet-hopping until I get lucky with one that doesn't tell me a vomiting cat is normal. :/

Isabella's mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat hasI dont' been vomited around once a months for years. I have her on the same food. Fancy food dry and canned. I noticed twice that when I got her tasties treats instead of friskies, she vomits as soon as she eats them. I don't know why cats vomit. My is an indoor cat. Also what is the best way to clean the carpet from vomiting?

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat vomited regularly for years! She went to a Naturopathic vet, who suggested completely switching her over to raw food. That got her down to once or twice a month vomiting, which was quite an improvement over her initial 5+ times a week. My cat was older though (vomiting started at age 10 and continued until she died at 18.) She was asthmatic too, and eventually had kidney disease, but I don't think the kidney stuff was related to the vomiting because that didn't start until age 14 or 15. She came to me at age 5 as a one eyed cat, so I wonder if her eye was removed for similar health issues?

She was on Rad Cat raw food, which I think is different from freeze dried. It was just something I could buy in the freezer section of the pet food store, in tupperware. It basically looked like blended raw chicken (gross.) It was quite expensive, but I swear it gave her several extra years of life and kept her relatively healthy right until the end. My vet thought that she was throwing up because of all the extra stuff in canned food that cats don't need (pea protein, veggies, fruit, etc.) You are probably right to go slowly with the transition though--while my older cat had no constipation issues with the switch over, my younger one did.

I did read in some natural cat book I have that vomiting once a week or so is totally normal for cats. It does seem weird though.

Good luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goblinsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sunny578 sunny578

Thanks so much for the reply! Getting Goblin onto RadCat is my ultimate goal. I don't doubt at all that it added some time to your kitty's nine lives. Unfortunately, Goblin is a super picky eater. I got a sample of all of their current varieties, and he literally wouldn't go near any of them.

I think I'm making progress with the freeze dried, though. At first, he would only eat it dry, and I slowly got him to accept it rehydrated with either water or raw goat milk, I just have to be sure not to add too much liquid. I think my next step will be using it as a topper for the RadCat.

I'm going to search for some holistic vets in my area and see if there's any I can afford. I think they would probably be best for issues like these.

Thanks so much!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks a million, missmimz! I'll look into that asap!
Either egg yolk lecithin, OR an actual raw egg yolk blended into his food a couple of times a week works too. Of course, THAT only works if he'll eat the food you've blended it into :wink:

The idea of crumbling up some of the freeze dried and using it as Topper for the Radcat is a great idea. And Radcat has been reformulated to use powdered egg shell rather than ground up bones as their source of calcium, which should cause less constipation issues.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat hasI dont' been vomited around once a months for years. I have her on the same food. Fancy food dry and canned. I noticed twice that when I got her tasties treats instead of friskies, she vomits as soon as she eats them. I don't know why cats vomit. My is an indoor cat. Also what is the best way to clean the carpet from vomiting?
If your cat is vomiting even only once a month, that's too often, unless she's actually regurgitating, which is when they vomit up their food within just a few minutes of eating, and that's normally caused from them either eating too fast or too much all at once. When you say you are feeding Fancy Feast wet food, they have a huge variety of foods...are you feeding the exact same flavor and variety every time, or do you switch it up? If you switch it up, you might need to make a log and see, if she is truly vomiting and not regurgitating, if there is a specific variety that might be causing this. There could be an ingredient in that variety that is the problem.

Oh, and as to cleaning the carpet, I just usually wipe it up with a paper towel, but I have scatter rugs only and they all have patterns in them so if it leaves a spot, you can't really tell. If it leaves a spot in your carpet, then perhaps check the cleaning aise at your grocery store for carpet cleaner. I think they sell some in spray on cans. Spray on, vacuum off?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goblinsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Of course, THAT only works if he'll eat the food you've blended it into :wink:
Right?? Isn't that the truth!!

I think he heard me say I was going to top the RadCat with the Primal, because now he's refusing the Primal if I try to give it to him. He only wants it from Dad, and mom doesn't want to listen to dad bitch about having to touch raw meat. :angrywoman:

Oh, life as a cat mom.

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try adding some egg yolk lecithin for hairball management. It does sound like it could be hairball related, and tis the season right now.

How Best to Manage Hairballs
If my cat won't eat the egg yolk lecithin in her food, can I put in a smaller gel capsule and pill her? Would the gel cap break down in the stomach fast enough to do its work?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've conversed with a few different vets about this, but what I get told is either that I need to buy him a prescription hairball control diet (which he wouldn't eat even if it did work, he won't eat pate), or that it's just "normal" for cats to vomit. I don't believe that's true.
We've had some cats who threw up fairly regularly and/or hacked up hairballs, and that was always chalked up to it just being a thing that some cats did. Then I accidentally stumbled across this old article "Some Startling New Thoughts on Cats and Hairballs" awhile back, and some pieces of the puzzle started falling into place for me.

To make a long story short, it turned out that in Oscar's case, I had inadvertently caused part of his problem when I slowly transitioned him from being able to munch on kibble 24/7, to feeding him canned food on a timed schedule. His attitude was great, and he adapted to the changes far better than I had expected. But apparently his body just couldn't get used to going as long without food as our other cat. So now we give him a snack about half way between meals, and heaven help me, a little bit of kibble to help tide him through the night. Oh, and we also started him on a probiotic. Oscar still pukes every now and then, but nothing like before.

Hope you find something soon that works for you and Goblin! :)

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If my cat won't eat the egg yolk lecithin in her food, can I put in a smaller gel capsule and pill her? Would the gel cap break down in the stomach fast enough to do its work?
I don't see why not. Which brand of Egg Yolk Lecithin are you using. I have one cat who hates the Swanson, but loves the Nature's Plus so much he'll eat it straight out of the capsule :rolleyes2:

deidrahall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty has been having vomit issues too. I've been cleaning our throw rugs with Oxy spray.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My other cat vomited a lot. Resolve was best.
Now with the cat that vomited all the time it's wierd. He loved licking the plastic sealed on toilet paper, paper towels and such. Fed ex sticky he'd lick. He loved the glue. He got more sensitive after he got iams poisoning. But I didn't realize the plastic he was licking was glued with glue that has animal parts. It's not uncommon for it to make them sick. Just make sure your kitty isn't getting into something you don't realize is bad for them.

I only mention because I thought nothing of it. I thought it was cute. I didn't know it was making him sick.

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't see why not. Which brand of Egg Yolk Lecithin are you using. I have one cat who hates the Swanson, but loves the Nature's Plus so much he'll eat it straight out of the capsule :rolleyes2:
I have the Swanson.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have the Swanson.
With the Swansons, what I do is dissolve it in a tablespoon or so of water before I blend it into their wet food. This seems to help the one who doesn't like it. And I only give him 1/2 capsule at a time this way. Sometimes he'll balk a little bit at eating his food with this mixture in it, but if he does, I sprinkle some freeze dried chicken on top and that usually makes it ok :rolleyes2:

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Day 2 of egg yolk lecithin. I am giving 1/4 of the Swanson capsule twice a day. I am smashing the EYL into a soft treat and popping into her mouth. I use diatomaceous earth mixed in wet food as well. The DE dries out the hairball and when coughed up is at least 50% smaller than her prior hairballs before trying DE. This shedding season has been long. I am still getting enormous amounts hair in the brush daily. She has had two hairballs (April 8 and May 3). Her appetite is down so I think she is working on another one. I am getting her to eat by using a low dose of Zyrtec as an appetite stimulant. She already uses it for her pollen and dust allergies during occasional flair ups only.