Semi Feral Kits

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I offered to foster 5 semi feral kits to socialize and then adopt out. They live at a farm and I was supposed to go there, 40 minutes ago...But I got a message from the person arranging it that he had only spotted one kitten. They knew I was going to come since Monday.
Why are the kits not confined????:argh:

Oh well, playing the waiting game now. They were going to phone me when they got all 5. Any tips when they are confined on how to catch them as quickly as possible? I don't have a net, just mah carriers, some lovely treats and my own bare hands(I am used to getting scratched and bitten so no fear there).

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bring a blanket to throw over them. It's probably not gonna be a quick and easy job lol. Good luck!

jpatootie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, on the blanket, for sure. If they are very young, they probably huddle together in the same, dark, hidden spot, so that's what they'll be most comfortable in--maybe one carrier, with the bottom covered in the straw they are familiar with and the blanket covering the carrier as you secure them. You say semi-feral. Are they pettable? How old are they? It's very difficult to 'tame'/deprogram some barn cats. I've had three in my history that I acquired at about 6-8 weeks. They lived out their lives with me, never fully trusting--it was sort of like PTSD. Very sad. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Turns out the owner is just a sweet old guy and he loves his cats but doesn't understand they need to be fixed.

We tried to coax the kitties with some yummie sweets but even though they loved it, no luck on getting even one. The owner suggested we go in for tea as he would feed them piece of liverwurst at the designated time. The cats being creatures of habit.
My contact also came with her wife but they just got irritated and left after catching one kit. The owner and I agreed we would try his way. The cats know him best.
So around 18:00 he fed them and we managed to catch three more. There was one left outside and lucky for us she went into a pipe lying there. One end in the carrier and just slide the kitty out:woohoo:

Off we went with a car full of kitty's. I'm going to see if they can go back and TNR the other cats because the owner really does love them.

We have the kittens in the kitten home in the living room now as the cats there are the most sociable. Poor Amara and Dotty getting evicted like that:angrywoman:

I did notice a flea :censored:so I'm going to treat the kits with a spray for now. One of them is a bit more used to handling but I think he might be a bit under the weather. How do you take these guys to the vet????

This is them
IMG_7680.JPG

IMG_7682.JPG

The calmer one, named Bowie for obvious reasons:biggrin:
IMG_7679.JPG

I went in with water and food and Bowie was the first to take. His sister just squinted at me and hid in the box when I got too close.

But when I help her
IMG_7669.JPG

And the black one did this
IMG_7676.JPG

And sat on my back
IMG_7678.JPG

Tips are welcome

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just deflead them with a washing cloth and checked their genders...looks like 4 girls and a boy:think:
The boy, the black and white and Bowie(who is a girl) are the most timid. I picked them up, stroked them a bit and up to a certain extent they tolerated me. The other girls are very reserved. But with lots of Tlc I think they might be adoptable.
They see me interacting with the other cats and of course Dotty and Amara, who love me to death so I hope they pick up on that vibe plus I have a daily 'cuddle' session.

Tomorrow I'm calling the shelter to see ask about the TNR. They're closed today:chessirecat:

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're doing them great! Kittens are easy to "socialize" and can and will become more loving. They need constant pats and pets! Kitten Lady has great advice for feral kittens on her website.

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just plucked some struggling fleas off of Bowie's face and floor in the pen. One week still then I can get some Revolution but for now the spray will do. The poor things are scratching like mad. And I just got Millie flea free. Like my husband said, you knew that was a risk but it's still a sad sight, the twitching, the washing, the gnawing

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Little update time.

I've been going into the kitten home plucking fleas of the ground and sometimes off their faces, the poor things. Me and my daughter gave them working names. There is Bowie, the little odd eyed kitten, her marble red sister is Katy, the calico is Kennip, the black and white is Freddie, even though my husband doesn't think it's a girls name and the boy we're calling Mr. Fluffball.
IMG_7684.JPG
Today I went in to give them their kibble and I always start out by offering some bits. Mr. Fluffball was first to take, then Bowie and Katy reluctantly took a few too. As I'm feeding them I notice Mr. F. arching his back and tail, slightly rubbing the box. I started stroking him and he arched again and not a second later full out love, rolling on his back, purring like mad, rubbing against me, coming close to me. His sisters were eyeballing him, like 'what the H are you doing?' I stroked Bowie as well and yush, purr! Then Mr.F. went in the box and continued his purrfest there, also playing a bit with my hands.

I am amazed at this. This morning he would back away and then this afternoon full 360° turn. I have good hopes for these guys.

Mr. F. and Bowie
IMG_7693.JPG

Katy
IMG_7692.JPG

Kennip and Freddie
IMG_7695.JPG

I also phoned the shelter and I have to phone back on Monday to reach the manager and hopefully we can start a TNR for those poor mama's.

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have a third purr-er. Katy has decided I'm not so scary anymore and was rolling on the floor, exposed belly,tail tucked between her legs and purring like mad.

Also Kannip has accepted kibble I put in front of her and Freddie is also accepting more. I wonder what they'll be likea month from now. Bowie is the most trusting as I can pick her up and she climbed on my leg. I love the progress.

First week of October I will get Revolution, I had a flea bite me while in there. Do I deflea every cat in the house or just the one in the living room/kitchen, including the kits ofcourse?

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wondering if I put this thread in the right section.

But I called the shelter and they´re a bit swamped with work but we´ll be in touch. Either they will pay the man a visit or maybe he will phone me to come pick up the remaining kittens. Either way, TNR is on the way and hopefully we can get to the other kittens before they´re too scared.

Kittens here are doing great. Kennip is almost like a mother to Freddie and as such Freddie tends to follow her example but they do eat food I put in front of them.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Awe! Great progress with him! Do you have a low cost spay/neuter clinic nearby? You could start TNRing them on your own! I know rescues and shelters get swamped with requests this time of the year!

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The shelter I called has a low cost spay/neuter clinic. They call themselves Kat in Nood (Cat in Need) and they also take in and keep non-adoptable cats, like FIV and near feral. Unfortunately it costs too much for little old me to set up something like that. Plus they can offer the TNR to the man for free. He won't have to pay a dime or penny:biggrin:. Plus it's only about 2 weeks delay. I even offered to take the other kittens in as foster if they were still there

I'm a bit worried about Freddie. I was feeding them this afternoon and I stroked her and noticed she was a lot thinner than when she got here. She is much younger than the others, I even suspect from a different litter, because the man had told me about another litter, he didn't want to part with because they were too young. I tried to persuade him, but alas.
So I think Freddie might still need some kitten milk or at least more food but in order to monitor her weight and intake properly I would have to separate her from the others. This would allow her to be more trusting towards me(and humans) as she won't be influenced by Kennip anymore.
Should I go ahead and put Freddie in her own crate? With a heating pad and occasional companionship from Amara and Dotty?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I think you could leave her out... what are you currently feeding them and how often? Are you able to weigh her to monitor gains and losses?

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went to my regular vet for the Revolution. I couldn't wait until my pay was in and thankfully I was allowed to pay next week.
I also asked her about Freddie and she said to go ahead and separate her. The weightloss and the influence of Kennip were reason enough. Last night we deflead everybody and I put Freddie in her own crate with a heating pad.
And today she was already more affectionate, even purring and rolling, like the three reds. Kennip is still refusing me, I can stroke her but she hisses. I think she will be spayed and become a farm cat. She's like my semi feral Dolf and even though he's come to like petting and attention he can't get rid of that fear.

I feed the kittens 4 times a day. Just dry kibble for kittens. Freddie is now getting kittenmilk twice a day and wet food twice a day and lots of dry kibble, about 20 grams every time.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I would try giving her a few more cans of canned kitten food a day to help her gain weight... does she drink a lot of the milk?
@Sarthur2 any other tips?

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I make about 30 ml and she drinks most of it. I can't weigh her yet but I can feel she's a bit bony. She knibbles at the dry kibble, it's not easy for her yet. Upping the wet food might be a good idea, I'll have to get more cans:eek3:

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Freddy is doing great. She's getting some flesh on her bones. And she is soooo floofy!!! :lovecat3:
I also carried her to the kitchen and back and most of the time she was purring. Almost like a normal kitten.
She does have this weird habit of lying in the litterbox. We take her out everytime and put her on her fleecebut any idea what is causing it?
The reds are also doing good. They want out:chessirecat:. Katy even went walk about yesterday and came across Minous. I have never heard a more hellish yowl than from that little red cat. Tips on giving them opportunity to go walk about without them mauling the resident cats? These little faces keep peaking out whenever I go in.

Kennip is making progress. She stopped hissing at me every time she sees me and she tolerates the petting.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh great! We would love to see more pictures...
Her laying in the litter box is a comfort thing I think. I have a few fosters that came to me feral that would do this until they were more comfortable. I also often see cats in shelters laying in their litter boxes. I think being surrounded by their smell calms them down a little bit?
As for them meeting your cats I think with time they should get used to their scent and become less reactive to them. You could scent swap some things like a cat bed or something just so they get used to their smell before they see them again.

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been a while. Freddy absolutely loves me now, meowing and rubbing my legs when it's dinnertime. I can pick her up and cuddle her close to my face. Amara and Dotty were spayed last Thursday and Dotty is rooming with Freddy at night until the wounds are bit healed up.

The other 4 are also doing great. Mr. Fluffball has been renamed to Jackson or Jack. It suits him. Kennip is still very scared but she's started the purr session and responding to a stroke.

And here's Bowie just cuddling up on the couch.
IMG_20171007_201643.jpg