semi-feral is now semi-domesticated! ADVICE NEEDED re: collars, litter box

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of our two-year-old TNR kiddos who has been coming inside for meals has slept inside our home overnight (it's COLD out) for nearly a week! He's such a good boy. Loves a good ear rub.
He holds his business in (so far) and just goes in the morning outside. We're working on the litter box. It's sand-like unscented with "cat attract" additive and leaves and grass clippings (he likes to go on the lawn).
He lets me pick him up, sort of, but he wriggles after a few seconds. So I've been able to put him in the litter box, but he doesn't seem to understand why. It's uncovered and in the bathroom, the only place we can put it.

We've already agreed among us in the house that the day we can successfully pick him up and get him into the cat carrier is the day we can officially, legally call him ours and we'll get him registered in the state. But until that day we've agreed that he'll be "a semi-feral who comes inside sometimes".

The ADVICE I need is regarding collars and litter box training.

for the box training: what else can I do? he's never made in the house, so it's not like I can just pick up poo and put it in the box. I've already "dug" in the litter with a finger to show him what it is. I've shown cats litter boxes before, but they weren't feral-born. Note, we don't mind him going out to just go on the lawn, but I worry one night he won't be able to hold it...

for collars, he's a panther and hard to see at night, so we'd want to get a reflective breakaway collar. We want him to be seen at night by drivers, and if he's going to be "our" cat, the state requires an outdoor cat be collared. Plus there are other ferals in the area and we want him distinguished from the others.
I guess my question to everyone is what brand is best for an 8-lb ball of muscle with a thick neck that is also either reflective or day-glo/neon. (seriously, he's so beefy I considered a 'small dog' collar lol)

Anyway, here's Panterita :)

signal-2020-09-24-145053_002.jpeg rita.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He sounds like my Lily who came in at about 2 and handed in her feral card at that point. He is adorable with those big gold eyes. So he is not soiling in the house but not using the box? Just holding it until morning? You do believe that he used dirt to cover his poop? The reason I am asking is that Lily's sister who came in shortly after lived in an alley and never used dirt but rather concrete near a driveway so when I brought her in she refused to use a litter box with litter. She uses one with a dog pad in it. I am wondering if lawn is not translating to litter, especially if he did not use dirt. Can you add more grass clippings to see if that is the issue? I know this sounds weird, but can you find any of his poop and put it in the box?

How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box – TheCatSite Articles

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Cat Collars Safety Guide – TheCatSite Articles

I am personally not really up on collars but this guide might help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am wondering if lawn is not translating to litter, especially if he did not use dirt. Can you add more grass clippings to see if that is the issue? I know this sounds weird, but can you find any of his poop and put it in the box?
Thanks for the links!!!
Yes, Rita holds it in overnight and does his business directly on grass lawns. At least pee, can't confirm poo. If I ever do get a hold of one of his poos, I would definitely put it in the litter box and show him. I just haven't had the opportunity yet.
At this point, I'm almost wanting to take an entire square of sod and put it in the (big) litter box! A friend of mine suggested astroturf, but I would rather use grass/sod that can be tossed.

Will check out the collar guide. I'm on the fence of having him wear one but I really want him to be seen as having humans who care for him. Some neighbors don't want the cats around and I just don't want to take chances with him being seen as just any old pest.

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Your idea about sod is really good...talk about thinking outside the box. If he is hesitant to use a box, Astroturf won't work and probably costs more money.

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your idea about sod is really good...talk about thinking outside the box. If he is hesitant to use a box, Astroturf won't work and probably costs more money.
So far no go. He sniffed at the box when I lured him there with a toy, but still doesn't 'get it'. He's still jumpy about being picked up usually so I haven't been able to try that again yet.

It's very possible he just doesn't like the bathroom, which is unfortunate because the box fits perfectly and there's really nowhere else to put it unless he starts going upstairs more.

I have to remind myself that it's only been about a week or so of overnights, and we only just started socializing with him this March. Overall his progress is impressive.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes it is very impressive and you are doing a great job. He needs more time to adjust to his new place.

jonb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I put outside cats, ferals, kittens, tame or whatever either in a large cage or smallish room, give them a litterbox or 2 with plain cheap clumping cat litter about 3 inches deep. Don't ever remember a problem with healthy uninjured kitties. I always make it easy for them to find and climb into. Usually they sleep or play in it first but when its time to go they seem to know what its for.

jonb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of our two-year-old TNR kiddos who has been coming inside for meals has slept inside our home overnight (it's COLD out) for nearly a week! He's such a good boy. Loves a good ear rub.
He holds his business in (so far) and just goes in the morning outside. We're working on the litter box. It's sand-like unscented with "cat attract" additive and leaves and grass clippings (he likes to go on the lawn).
He lets me pick him up, sort of, but he wriggles after a few seconds. So I've been able to put him in the litter box, but he doesn't seem to understand why. It's uncovered and in the bathroom, the only place we can put it.

We've already agreed among us in the house that the day we can successfully pick him up and get him into the cat carrier is the day we can officially, legally call him ours and we'll get him registered in the state. But until that day we've agreed that he'll be "a semi-feral who comes inside sometimes".

The ADVICE I need is regarding collars and litter box training.

for the box training: what else can I do? he's never made in the house, so it's not like I can just pick up poo and put it in the box. I've already "dug" in the litter with a finger to show him what it is. I've shown cats litter boxes before, but they weren't feral-born. Note, we don't mind him going out to just go on the lawn, but I worry one night he won't be able to hold it...

for collars, he's a panther and hard to see at night, so we'd want to get a reflective breakaway collar. We want him to be seen at night by drivers, and if he's going to be "our" cat, the state requires an outdoor cat be collared. Plus there are other ferals in the area and we want him distinguished from the others.
I guess my question to everyone is what brand is best for an 8-lb ball of muscle with a thick neck that is also either reflective or day-glo/neon. (seriously, he's so beefy I considered a 'small dog' collar lol)

Anyway, here's Panterita :)

View attachment 361926 View attachment 361928
The 2 collars on the bottom are my favorite, light up outstanding when a light hits them. They easily break away as is out of the package. Cats loose them now and then, but i probably find half what they lose when looking for the cats at night or my car headlights hit them and they glow. Little more then $1 each buying a dozen on ebay last i remember. They come with a metal ring and bell which i cut off before use.
The collar on top i thought was supposed be reflective but didn't for long if at all. The buckle style is different and does not break away unless you spend some time filing the corners on the male end until it will. Some of the others also advertised break away have to be modified to make them do so at the appropriate resistance.
Buy them like on the bottom, snip the metal ring off and should be good to go, but i would test the break away strength to be sure it works like it should regardless.

Attachments

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I put outside cats, ferals, kittens, tame or whatever either in a large cage or smallish room, give them a litterbox or 2 with plain cheap clumping cat litter about 3 inches deep. Don't ever remember a problem with healthy uninjured kitties. I always make it easy for them to find and climb into. Usually they sleep or play in it first but when its time to go they seem to know what its for.
This cat has already had free range in our house and there's really no way to contain him in any of the rooms that can be closed off.

Tonight we're having a blizzard and he's been inside almost all day with just a few minutes outside since the snow started. He was just now asking for dinner too early and I ignored him and let him eat kibble (free fed). He almost never comes upstairs, but just did, meowed, and I heard rustling...

Turns out he decided to pee on my jeans that I'd left, thankfully, on my yoga mat. Almost none of it got on the carpet. I'm not concerned about the mess itself. It'll be dealt with. I'm just concerned why he peed on my jeans that obviously smelled like me. Was it because he wanted dinner now, or just that he had a full bladder? What do I do with this information? After this, I repeated the ritual of picking him up and gently putting him in the litter box which as usual he didn't understand. ughhffff...

Just in case, I've set up the second litter box in another bathroom. One will have soil and grass in it and the other will have just unscented fine grain litter.

My boyfriend suggested we put some dirty laundry in a litter box, but I would think that counter-productive...🤦‍♀️

Last edited:

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ahhh update! overnight on the same day he peed on my jeans, he peed in the litter box with all the sod etc in it! turns out he didn't like it downstairs and wanted to pee upstairs in a place that smelled like me... my bathroom was just fine, apparently. he hasn't used it since, but he's been spending a lot of time outside and just sleeping here afternoons and overnight. hopefully though next time we have nasty weather he remembers where the weird box of earth is...