Semi/feral Cat Sitting In Heated Water Bowl

kiggy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For two years I've been taking care of a spayed female cat that is around 11 years old, shelter, food, water, etc. Her mother and siblings were all spayed and neutered about 11 years ago. They all were adopted and live in homes except for this one. The original caretaker moved away two years ago and left this cat. I'm planning to trap her, and a local shelter has agreed to provide shelter and to see if she can be fostered.

This morning it is snowing, and it's only 10 degrees outside. I looked out the window and saw that she was laying entirely in the heated water dish which was filled with water. I was shocked to see this. When I went outside, she came running, as usual, to be fed. It is snowing out, so I needed to shovel the snow off of my patio, and she ran into her covered sleeping place.

I've placed a baited Tomahawk trap outside my door which is covered with a blanket to keep out the snow. She is wary of traps even though she was never trapped before. She is still in her bed area.

I feel slightly panicky due to her deciding to sleep in the water dish. I feel she is desperate.
Any advise or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shoot - I was hoping someone else would have responded to you already. I don't quite know what to advise that you're not already doing. Obviously that's extremely concerning. I thought perhaps the bowl was empty, and she was soaking up the heat from the empty heated bowl. Laying in the water is indeed a far different issue - - -I'd be as nervous as you are. I'm assuming you don't see her do this behavior to cool off in the summer? Because, obviously, a cat lying in water is unusual even in warm weather - in 10 degrees it's even stranger. My biggest fear - in this weather - would be frostbite. Frostbite can happen in a half hour or less to wet parts - particularly those with less fur/body fat (ears/pads/tails/etc.) We're dealing with it right now with one of our more sociable TNR feral guys - she came home New Year's Eve night with a gash from a claw on her forehead and what were probably claw scrapes (must have been a heck of a fight!) off the very edge of one ear - - leaving the edges of that ear a little blood and exposed (no fur where the little bits were gone). We cleaned her up & dried her off as much as she'd tolerate - - -but she still she lost a bit more ear where things got a little wetter again as the ear bled a tad more (very VERY small amount - - -we actually thought we'd stopped it - -but the next morning, you could tell just around the affected ear area she lost a tad more to frostbit. Broke our hearts!!!!!

Have you called the shelter who has agreed to take her and then have her fostered? You could explain the situation - and how very concerned you area - and see what they think. They might be able - since it's an emergency - to get her in and looked it asap. Not all shelters have vets on staff - some have vets that visit once or twice a week Others - like the one I volunteer with - have vet techs that come in at least once a wee but also have standing relationships with vets that allow for emergencies like this. So if you explain things - AND can get ahold of your kitty (suggestions on how offered below) - they might allow you to take her somewhere to be looked at asap.

How handleable is she? I'm guessing not extremely - if you feel she needs to be trapped. You say you feel she's very trap weary, but it sounds as though she was trapped to be spayed before you took over her care. Did her previous caretaker let you know she was trap wary? She might be less than you think. But just in case - since she does appear to be hungry, do you have a large cat carrier (or know of some who you could borrow one from - - -obviously dog owners also often have them)? You could place it in the area where you usually feed her (since she's more like to trust you in that spot), and put some VERY smelly food way in the back (even like a canned mackerel or tuna, or Gerbers Stage Two Baby Food - - -the Chicken variety - cats just LOVE it!!!!). Tie a string to the carrier door - - run it to where you can sit without her seeing you, and as she walks in to eat pull the string so that the door shuts (obviously you'll have to watch constantly - and sit close enough that the minute she gets in and you put the string that you can quickly be there to seal the carrier door shut (bc quickly she'll figure out she's contained and probably try to push out). Box trapping is another option that's simple to set up.

Does where she's sleeping have a warming pad (should be a pet one - human ones get too hot)? That would at least help dry her, lessening the frostbite worry a bit.

Keep us posted - - - -I feel for both of you!!!!!!

And hopefully someone else will weigh in - -I'm thinking of you (and her).

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
kittychick kittychick knows far more than I do about caring for ferals and I really can't improve on her excellent advice to contact the shelter in hopes they'll take this kitty in sooner than arranged. The one thought I had was that you might try putting a self-warming bed or pad in her shelter, should she need to stay where she is a bit longer. I don't know how warm they get but certainly it's better than nothing.

Here's a search for "Self-warming cat pads and beds" from Amazon to give you an idea of what's available.
Many of them tend to make a crinkling noise that can scare cats so try to find one that's relatively silent. I know some are noisier than others but noise (or the lack of noise) is often noted by the reviewers.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
(thanks for the kind words margd margd ! Very sweet of you!!!! and appreciated - - been a rotten day so kind words EXTRA appreciated!!!!!)

I mentioned the outdoor-rated electric pet warming pads too - - - we have them in all of our feral shelters. The good thing is they put out a heat that could aid the drying process, and they wouldn't short out or be a fire hazard even though the cat is wet. The bad thing in THIS case in particular is that they don't get very warm at all - - - they provide low heat only basically to the areas where the cat is putting pressure (lying on) - - - but what makes them safe so the cat won't get burned (the very low heat) is the kind of bad thing - - I'm not sure how much it would actually aid in drying the kitty. Better than nothing - - - and when our cats have been out in the snow and then go in and lie in a shelter on one of those pads - - - the snow on their fur (and their fur in general) does seem to dry a tad faster - - - but certainly not very quickly. I was debating with myself (and my husband) - - about putting out (in a safe place - - - obviously no where where the pad/cord could get wet) a human heating pad set on VERY low, while also providing an area where she can get off of it easily if she feels warm. But the human ones do make me nervous - - - they burn them so easily. And they're not safe outdoors - - and that's where this kitty is. :(

The self-warming pads that margd margd mentioned - I thought of those too. But they don't really "heat" things - they just reflect the animal's body heat back. Which is definitely better than nothing - - - - but it seems like that wouldn't be enough to warm up what's now a VERY cold, wet little kitty. :(

1. Frostbite is just SUCH an enormous dangerous issue. Cold period is such an issue (so is that VERY strange behavior in the water dish! . I even thought about a space heater (depending on where she's comfortable going - - --like a garage maybe?) ---but they can be SO dangerous (even the "turn off if tipped over" kind). And - - they're horridly expensive to run (although short term like this - to just get her dried off and warm - the monetary hit wouldn't be that bad). We ran one once for a litter of very small foster kittens (our fosters are always kept in a very nice, heated bedroom in our finished basement - - -but it is just a tad cooler than the rest of the house. So when we ran the space heater for that litter - - - we ran it on fairly low and it has a thermostat, so it did shut off and on as needed. But running it for only something like 2 weeks -- - - when we got our next Electric bill - - - - -it had gone up by about $100!!!!!!!!!! After doing digging online - - seems like that's typical - - they are VERY expensive to run.

3. Do you have a regular vet that you go to? (I don't know if you have other animals that you take to a vet). If so - - - I think it's at least worth calling them too and explaining the situation. Our vet will often speak with us over the phone to offer suggestions on our ferals, as she's aware that our feral kitties can't be brought in easily (I think they make so much off of us on our other animals!) Again - it's at least worth a call!

4. Last thought (and I know this probably isn't possible with a feral) but do you have an area she could be brought in to in your home that IS heated - like a foyer or a mudroom? Someplace that you could just open a door, closing off so that she couldn't get into the rest of the house - - -again, luring her in with smelly stuff like Mackerel or tuna?

Again - please keep us posted - so worried for you both!!!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's something else, I've never heard of a cat lying in the warm water! My aunt's farm cats used to dump the water and sit in the empty bowl, but that's entirely different. Maybe you could empty the bowl and leave it out so she can sit in it to dry off, if you don't have a heated bed available? It's kind of urgent since a soaking wet cat is going to have issues in 10-degree weather.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiggy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Shoot - I was hoping someone else would have responded to you already. I don't quite know what to advise that you're not already doing. Obviously that's extremely concerning. I thought perhaps the bowl was empty, and she was soaking up the heat from the empty heated bowl. Laying in the water is indeed a far different issue - - -I'd be as nervous as you are. I'm assuming you don't see her do this behavior to cool off in the summer? Because, obviously, a cat lying in water is unusual even in warm weather - in 10 degrees it's even stranger. My biggest fear - in this weather - would be frostbite. Frostbite can happen in a half hour or less to wet parts - particularly those with less fur/body fat (ears/pads/tails/etc.) We're dealing with it right now with one of our more sociable TNR feral guys - she came home New Year's Eve night with a gash from a claw on her forehead and what were probably claw scrapes (must have been a heck of a fight!) off the very edge of one ear - - leaving the edges of that ear a little blood and exposed (no fur where the little bits were gone). We cleaned her up & dried her off as much as she'd tolerate - - -but she still she lost a bit more ear where things got a little wetter again as the ear bled a tad more (very VERY small amount - - -we actually thought we'd stopped it - -but the next morning, you could tell just around the affected ear area she lost a tad more to frostbit. Broke our hearts!!!!!

Have you called the shelter who has agreed to take her and then have her fostered? You could explain the situation - and how very concerned you area - and see what they think. They might be able - since it's an emergency - to get her in and looked it asap. Not all shelters have vets on staff - some have vets that visit once or twice a week Others - like the one I volunteer with - have vet techs that come in at least once a wee but also have standing relationships with vets that allow for emergencies like this. So if you explain things - AND can get ahold of your kitty (suggestions on how offered below) - they might allow you to take her somewhere to be looked at asap.

How handleable is she? I'm guessing not extremely - if you feel she needs to be trapped. You say you feel she's very trap weary, but it sounds as though she was trapped to be spayed before you took over her care. Did her previous caretaker let you know she was trap wary? She might be less than you think. But just in case - since she does appear to be hungry, do you have a large cat carrier (or know of some who you could borrow one from - - -obviously dog owners also often have them)? You could place it in the area where you usually feed her (since she's more like to trust you in that spot), and put some VERY smelly food way in the back (even like a canned mackerel or tuna, or Gerbers Stage Two Baby Food - - -the Chicken variety - cats just LOVE it!!!!). Tie a string to the carrier door - - run it to where you can sit without her seeing you, and as she walks in to eat pull the string so that the door shuts (obviously you'll have to watch constantly - and sit close enough that the minute she gets in and you put the string that you can quickly be there to seal the carrier door shut (bc quickly she'll figure out she's contained and probably try to push out). Box trapping is another option that's simple to set up.

Does where she's sleeping have a warming pad (should be a pet one - human ones get too hot)? That would at least help dry her, lessening the frostbite worry a bit.

Keep us posted - - - -I feel for both of you!!!!!!

And hopefully, someone else will weigh in - -I'm thinking of you (and her).
Thank you for the response. It helps to be able to talk about this problem.

The Cat TNR shelter is at full capacity. They can't go over their headcount. I'm promised the next empty crate. Whinny's strange behavior does have me very concerned. She is more skittish now and not like herself. I've tried other shelters and they are all bombarded with adoptable cats and kittens.

For Shelter:
I purchase a feral cat house from Feralvilla two years ago which has a sleeping deck on the second floor filled with straw. She used it last year. The walls are insulated and covered with a silver colored liner which is supposed to reflect body heat back to the cat. The cat house is under my large vegetable trug which is covered with two waterproof canvas tarps which completing encloses the area under the trug. There is a zippered area in one corner big enough for a cat to enter. She also has a "Kitty Tube" feral cat house that she uses at different times.

I monitor my yard with a camera and can see her coming and going. Recently, late at night, or early morning two male feral cats have shown up at different times, and I think they are causing her problems.

The weather is not making it easy for us because of the cold and snow. I had brought in my trap this morning because of the snow has not let up. My original intention was to put use my drop trap but didn't feel comfortable using it again because of all the snow.

History:
This cat was named "Whinny" by the caretaker. Whinny's mother was not a feral cat and not spayed. She had kittens in someone's backyard. The "caretaker" and another person had the mother and her four kittens spayed and neutered. Whinny's mother lives in a house a few doors down from me. Two of Whinny's siblings live in other house in this neighborhood. Unfortunately, Whinny and a brother were not adopted and released outside. The brother died the following year, and Whinny has been living outside ever since. The "caretaker" told me that she could pet Whinny and brush her hair.

I did not live in this neighborhood when all this happened if I were involved this would not have happened. Many Veterinarians do not take feral cats as patients. Mine does not.

Plan:
I intend to trap her and house her in a large crate that I purchased just for this project. I have it all set up. The crate will have to be in my garage as my family is very allergic to cats. Once a shelter crate opens up she can stay and hopefully get into a foster home if she behaves herself. Unfortunately, if she is unadoptable due to her age she may be euthanized. It will break my heart but she can't continue outside. It's too dangerous. My home is in a highly wooded community with much wildlife, raccoons, fox, hawks, owls, and coyotes. The coyotes run through our yards at different times of the day including broad daylight. I can't leave food out during the night.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's survived this long she has obviously figured out how to live in that neighborhood and dodge all the predators. I personally wouldn't be comfortable surrendering her to a shelter that may kill her. She's better off as she is.

Lrabbitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For two years I've been taking care of a spayed female cat that is around 11 years old, shelter, food, water, etc. Her mother and siblings were all spayed and neutered about 11 years ago. They all were adopted and live in homes except for this one. The original caretaker moved away two years ago and left this cat. I'm planning to trap her, and a local shelter has agreed to provide shelter and to see if she can be fostered.

This morning it is snowing, and it's only 10 degrees outside. I looked out the window and saw that she was laying entirely in the heated water dish which was filled with water. I was shocked to see this. When I went outside, she came running, as usual, to be fed. It is snowing out, so I needed to shovel the snow off of my patio, and she ran into her covered sleeping place.

I've placed a baited Tomahawk trap outside my door which is covered with a blanket to keep out the snow. She is wary of traps even though she was never trapped before. She is still in her bed area.

I feel slightly panicky due to her deciding to sleep in the water dish. I feel she is desperate.
Any advise or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

I feel your panic over this! Here is how I got my Little Mouser trapped and to the vet (also during a below-freezing morning). After 3 months of unsuccessful trapping attempts, I prepared mentally for days (chance favors the prepared mind). Put a pillowcase in your jacket pocket and go to feed the cat outside. Put some of the STINKIEST fish cat food you can find in front of her (I even microwaved the food so it would be more appealing). While she heads for the food, walk away a little. Then approach her from behind and swoop up her hindquarters in the pillow slip and pull it over her body and head. Then get her inside or into a cat carrier. Being in the pillowcase calms the cat down. You have to be swift, quiet and confident. It won't hurt her. My vet taught me this. Good luck!!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll apologize ahead for what I know won't be exactly the briefest of posts (someday I'll get that brevity thing down pat!).

I have to say how TRULY WONDERFUL of you to take over for her previous caretaker. Many of us on this site worry about what will happen if we ever move - - so bless you a thousand times over for not just agreeing to take care of her, but for REALLY striving to give her as comfortable a life as possible!! And 11 years - WOW!

The male ferals could definitely cause a change in her behavior. I would understand a change in eating habits, avoiding her food completely bc she senses that's where she'll most likely encounter them, hiding more or in odd places, or even leaving the area for awhile) - but I just can't see how the new boys would cause such truly odd and self-destructive behavior. Cats have such a strong survival instinct -to put herself in that kind of avoidable danger seems like the complete antithesis to what most cats would do!?!

I hope you can post a pic - I already feel like I'm invested in little Whinny (and you). Is she your avatar? If so -she's gorgeous!!!!

You're right - most vets will not treat cats that they know are feral. Often one of the few places who will treat a feral is a spay/neuter clinic since they're set up to handle cats in traps. Most shelters won't take in a feral, and if they do, many euthanize ferals immediately as they have no way to spend the time/money to socialize. The only way they won't immediately euthanize is generally if they can get a foster who's worked with ferals/semi-ferals before and is willing to try to socialize the kitty. You might, however, call around. Our "normal" vet will not in any way treat ferals, but I've learned that several "non-clinic" vets in our area are beginning to work with ferals - and particularly semi-ferals. So it really might be worth calling around - particularly if you can explain her unusual situation. If Whinny IS slightly handleable, avoid calling her feral with them so that they don't rush to judgement. Stick with "stray or semi-feral." Don't lie - let them know she's nervous, hasn't been to a vet in 10 years, and can be VERY hard to handle. Just know that the word "feral" at some vets means an automatic "no." Since you leave near such a HUGE city, you may have options you don't even know about. Google yourself silly. I can even help google a little research tomorrow (what side of Chicago are you on?) to see if there are options you don't know know about.

I will say Whinny doesn't sound truly feral. She sounds more like semi-feral at most - - which runs the gamut from not very touchable (particularly by anyone other than her feeder - ferals often bond closely to their "food bringer"). She obviously had quite a bit of human contact for a large portion of her life - how comfortable is she with you now? Can you normally pet her when she's eating? Her change in behavior right now is also a clue that something's not right. And any cat often becomes more skittish when they don't feel well or are hurt. Can anyone else she knows let her near (maybe someone who feeds her if you're gone)?

I understand the concern W Willowy is expressing (and it sounds like you're feeling yourself) about taking her to a shelter where, if she can't "come around" she'll be euthanized. I'm sure you feel overloaded. But I will also say that - if possible - I wouldn't give up on still trying to find another place for her to go rather than the clinic - somewhere no-kill (I do know as I've been there - easier said than done!). Even if she DOES go there - try to keep a dialogue open with them/the foster if possible. Ask them to please NOT to euthanize her without giving you a little warning. At that point you may have been able to find someone or someplace who will take her. Call around - and reach out about that through social media - - many shelters have "barn cat" programs. You just want to check with the shelter to make sure the person with the barn will feed her (not just turn her loose to survive by "mousing"), and that they will confine her for at least a few weeks in a crate, etc. for at least a few weeks. That way she learns the scents of her new home - and doesn't try to make her way back to her original territory (sadly - - many just bring them to the barn then release them, never to be seen again. :(

Lastly - use social media as such as possible! Post ASAP bc of her odd water dish behavior (and don't be afraid to ask friends to also) that you're looking or a vet to very quickly look at a semi-feral - and also use social media to try to find a place like we just discussed to work with her and hopefully place her. Because yes - shelters, etc are VERY full and about to get m ore full (kittens are coming early to most places having a longer kitten season this year like last year - - -so shelters barely emptied out, only to have kittens start rolling in again already!

Okay - this has to be my most ridiculously l :( I just want Whinny to be ok so badly - -and you to be ok too!!! Your situation has SO many "moving parts. Obviously the medical care is the most urgent - but I'm certainly happy to do some computer digging and see if I can track down any options for you if you'd like. I might have no luck - but I'm happy to help try!!!! So let me know anything I can do to help long distance!!!!!

Keep us posted - we're thinking of both off you!

(And to maybe make you smile - - -I attached a pic (3 winters ago) of our own little TNR girl Flick, who we eventually brought inside --poor little 6 pound thing sitting in snow up to her ears! And she has cerebellar hypoplasia too (her back end wobbles) so watching her navigate in snow up to her ears was just almost too much to take The second photo is her life now......full of warm blankets and cuddles.)

kiggy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply I appreciate it! Flick is a darling cat with the same coloring and white spot as Whinny only with short hair. My avatar is a picture of Whinny.

Plan failed:

I came downstairs this morning to go over the trapping procedure to assure there wouldn't be a problem. I have recently purchased a new Tomahawk Drop Trap with remote control. I tested out the trap several times before placing it outside. I have had previous experience using a drop trap three years ago, but the weather was not as cold.
I have an outside camera and monitor Whinny's comings and goings, on my computer, or phone.

It snowed again last night, so I was out shoveling around 5:00 am. I set up the drop trap around 6:00 am. and waited for her to come out of her kitty condo. She came out around 11:30 went right under the trap. I was elated and surprised. I waited until she was relaxed and eating then I squeezed the trap remote, and the trap went down but not totally, as it got hung up about 4 inches from the ground.

Whinny was able to scamble and escaped from under the trap and ran away. I think the metal of the trap was just too cold and that it got stuck. I haven't seen her since. I pray she comes back.

There are several rescue, shelter and TNR groups in the community. I have made contact with all of them. They are all busy and have set priorities about what they can and will do. Whinny slips through the cracks as she is considered to have a home. Mine, regardless if it's outside. I have been providing her with food and shelter, so deemed not to be homeless.

kiggy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My prayers answered as Whinny just came back. I was alerted by my cam in the backyard that there was activity and I saw Whinny drinking water out of my "small" heated water dish. She also jumped into the feeding station to eat the dry food I left for her. I hurried to open a can of her favorite food and placed it outside the door. Once she saw me, she ran under the Thrug to her kitty condo. After I left and closed the door, she came out and now is eating her food. I hoping she doesn't hold a grudge against me.

I'm in communication with the woman that promised me an open crate and attempted fostering. She's a trapping expert. She runs a not for profit TNR and shelter. She's also more pragmatic then I am in this situation. I'm actually a very rational and calm person but not when I'm dealing with animals. I tend to go overboard. My husband is helpful to a point and sometimes gets in my way. If things where different Whinny would have been in my house by now.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whinny is absolutely gorgeous - - - I'm a long-haired cat lover. Although interestingly, right now we've got 3 short hairs and only one long-hair (Bowie -- my avatar). All are failed fosters except Flick - our little grey "failed TNR." :) And our 4 TNR'd ferals all look like varying degrees of Flick - 3 are grey shorthairs in varying degrees of winter fatness. One is actually Flick's sister (named "Sookie" after Melissa McCarthy's character on "Gilmore Girls" - - my husband named her that, saying "I know it's politically incorrect, but we love Sookie on the show, and we love Melissa McCarthy because she's hysterical and embraces her appearance." He had me -- - our Sookie is enormous - - and she appeared that way when she wandered into our yard about 6 months after Flick. And she is HYSTERICAL! She has a purr that sounds like 3 cats purring at once, all in different snuffly tones. And she loves having her belly brushed. I look like a kook in the summer - lying in the driveway, brushing the belly of this ginormous cat who's making enough noise to be heard from the street. I know what you're thinking - yes - she's not feral anymore at all (we found out some neighbors had found her, Flick, and 3 other greys - all siblings - - -at about 2 months and played with them all of the time. But they didn't fix them, so eventually the whole group kept shifting, eventually ending up in our yard. Where we TNR'd them all. One of our fellow TNR neighbors took one of the other girls, and Sookie and the final girl - "Cody" stayed in our garage (and heated shelters). I promised my husband that I wouldn't beg to bring them in, since budgets are super tight right now - - - and adding more litter for at least 2 more cats (because we'd have to bring in Cody's son "Crosby" - - the only black one - who's an absolute riot. Anyway - the additional litter budget would about break us - - plus we know we'd vet them more if they were inside - it just seems to work that way?!?! But consequently - we take super good care of them even though they're outside. They're all fixed, they're fed hard food 24/7, get soft food twice a day, and several times a day they get chicken or turkey, have at least 2 play session a day, and treats often. We're suckers. ANYWAY _ back to Whinny!

When I read your first note I thought - oh CRAP! I know how rough emotionally it is when there's a failed trap attempt (and how scared some of the kitties get then - understandably). I have to say - - - I'm absolutely stunned (and THRILLED!) that she's still alive - -and even eating!!!! I would have NEVER come out and said this - since I would be "diagnosing" in a sense from afar - - but I never dreamed she'd still be with you at this point. I thought that if the frostbite didn't get to her, that her behavior was so bizarre and against all that she should want to do purely from a survival standpoint that something had to be horribly wrong with her. Boy have I never been happier to be totally wrong!!!!!!

And the fact that she ate - - and even after the failed trap attempt - - that she came back THAT fast to eat and drink - - again - SO fantastic and shows so much trust! I think even a happy, never been feral a moment in their life lap cat would have been startled with all of that! To return that quickly, and even feel comfortable enough to immediately eat again, Whinny obviously has a great sense of trust in you. She knows which side her bread is buttered on, doesn't she? ;)

I too tend to get very overwhelmed - and emotional (I've always said I'm glad I have my husband - who,, like yours, is very much an animal person but much more pragmatic! - - -if I didn't have him they'd find me buried alive under a pile of foster kittens! I would absolutely have at least 2-3 of our 4 outside guys inside if my hubby weren't being so darn practical :) Hopefully your friend can help work with you and get her in there, get her fixed, and then get her to a lot that knows feral and semi ferals - - - fostering and socializing them is very different than working with "normal" (you know what I mean) foster kitties. Hopefully whoever fosters her keeps you in the loop - - - and you can perhaps even help bring her along - - - she's already proven herself to be quite the little fighter!!!!!! If ever a cat deserved the time to be socialized and brought in (and I bet she is able to be socialized - since she's spent so much time already around her previous guardian and now you!). She's quite the little fighter! I think good things are in store for her. :)

Please please keep us posted!!!!!

Debp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hoping and praying you will be able to trap Whinny and that she can be fostered and found a good home.

I think she lays in the heated water for warmth....poor baby. Bless her heart...