Semi-feral Cat odd behavior

catluvr3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I have one semi-feral cat who every once in a while dumps some of his water in his dish where his food is. I am feeding Blue wet cat food so he is getting one of the best foods. He eats most of it but then he leaves a little over and I notice water in the dish. Does anyone have a cat that does this? Is this is way of telling me he's done or does it mean something else. I have no clue.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
how is he doing it?  carrying water in his mouth from one bowl to the other?      Or do you mean, he is peeing on the food?

Anyway, I suspect this is a variation of covering the leftowers with dirt [earth], to spare for later if a desperate need would arise, and also, to hide the feeding place from predators.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's common for cats to bury left over food so that other animals don't find it. Lots of cats scratch at the floor around their food bowls in an attempt to cover it, even if there is no earth there to bury the food with. Is he water bowl right next to his food dish? Maybe this is what's happening.

I've also seen most intact toms and a few neutered males spray close to where they get fed to let other cats know "This is mine".

Some cats paw at the surface of the water bowl before drinking too. Have you seen him doing this?

Make sure the food and water bowl have plenty of space between them and that the food bowl isn't pushed up against a wall or a tree, something he's likely to scent mark.