Semi-feral, 7-month-old kitten excessive drinking

kayare

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - We took in a newly-spayed, tuxedo kitten from outside three weeks ago. Sadie is bonding well with us and our other cat isolated in the main bedroom/bathroom - about 450 square feet. She comes to us and wants attention and petting. Immediately, we noticed her excessive drinking. She was drinking a quart of water per day and flooding her litter box. We took her to the vet who had to anesthetize her to exam her. Her bloodwork and urinalysis came back as normal. She was boarded at the vet overnight and showed the same behavior. To reduce stress, we added an additional litter box with different litter and two new cat trees with toys. We are offering her small amounts of water throughout the day and evening, but this behavior is not changing. The vet has no advice other than to see if it resolves. I've fostered many, many cats over the years, but this behavior is nothing I've ever encountered. Any suggestions? Thank you!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know what he tested for? "Bloodwork" is not a single thing, he might have missed an important test.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This excessive drinking does seem abnormal for a cat who has normal bloodwork. Do you know what all they tested for? I would suspect raised kidney values or diabetes or something like that, especially since it continues. Do you have a copy of the lab results that you can post? Not saying we will see anything on them, but at least we can see what they tested for.

Other than the drinking, is she acting like a normal 7month old?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If she eats dry only that is one reason to drink water. I took my old cat to the vet because she drank so much and did not pee. She had UTI. Though since your kittens testing showed nothing is wrong watch her, watch and wait.