Semi- Feral 1 Year Old

Jennifercook

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been feeding a colony of community cats for about ten months. I have two of the cats that allow me to pet them and pick them up and hold them. I recently brought in one of them because she was peeing blood. I took her to the vet and discovered she has a bladder infection. So I am giving her antibiotics once a day. I have convinced my mom to give her a furever home since I can’t have anymore kitties. Will she adjust well to living with other cats? Will it take her a while to get used to my mom and dad?

She is doing well in my bedroom right now. I am keeping her separated from my cats for the moment. When they first saw each other they would hiss back and forth. I’m just worried that I am going to drive her all the way to my parents house and then she won’t get along with them or their resident cats
Also, my parents are going to take in brother semi-feral baby that I can pet and hold. Do you think having him with her will help with the transition?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the two cats you are bringing from the colony are friendly with each other, then that will help them to adjust. As far as getting along with your parents others cats it all just depends. Proper cat to cat introductions should be done and this can take time. The new cats will need a place of their own. If you use a bedroom be careful of the cats getting under the bed and hiding or getting stuck behind large furniture. You want them out in the open.

Once you bring them to your parents, the cats will need time to adjust to inside living and your parents before any contact between the other cats should be attempted. So don't be discouraged if at first the cats are very afraid of their new surroundings and your parents.

Before any introductions, the new cats need to be seen by a vet. Hopefully they are already spayed/neutered. Yet they will need vaccine and also FIV and FELV testing. You want a clean bill of health.

Will the cats be strictly indoor at your parents? If not, the cats should not be let outside for 3-6 weeks. If you do let them out, they will only try to escape and return to their former territory no matter how far away. They need to be kept inside and not allowed outside for the acclimation period. That is why a room of their own is also very important.

As you can see there are many steps along the way before introducing the new cats to the resident cats.

Here are a few articles that might help you.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
Introducing Cats To Cats | TheCatSite

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside | TheCatSite

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! Follow the advice already given. This can be accomplished! It’s great that you are saving these kitties! I wish more people were doing what you stare doing. Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign::rock:
Please keep us updated. Post back if you have more questions or concerns too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jennifercook

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestions! I have one of the kitties in my bedroom now. She has a bladder infection so I am giving her an antibiotic. I had her tested at the vet and she is negative for both. I’m going to be taking the other kitty to the vet on Monday before I bring him inside. I’ll put him in my bedroom as well until we begin our road trip next weekend.

Do you have any suggestions for traveling with them? I have been taking my kitties on road trips to my parents for a couple years now so they will be okay. I usually let them roam around and they are very comfortable with it. I’m a little anxious about adding the two new ones to the car with us. I have duffel bag carriers that open up on the sides to give more room. I plan of keeping the two new ones inside each carrier while my three boys are free to roam. I also have thunder shirts. Do you suggest me using them on the new kitties?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know about the thunder shirts. They might calm them but I would test them out before getting on the road with them. Some cats just fall over if you put a shirt or harness on them. I don’t know when you plan to travel or how long it will take but if the sick kitty can be clear of the infection first, I would advise that. I would also try out the soft carriers , with new cat inside, before traveling. I would also see if my other cats tried to get to the other cats through the carrier. Testing everything before traveling is always a good idea. I make all of my kitties travel in hard carriers during car rides. The risk of letting them roam the car is accidents and also the cat can get under the brake or accelerator pedal. I hook the seat belt through the carriers too. I guess I treat them like children. Lol Many years ago my brother traveled with a cat loose in the car and when the cat got scared, he got a bad bite. I definitely would not let the new kitties roam the car.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First - - a big "YEAH!!!!" for you for taking care of this colony - - -and for being so observant that you realized one was urinating blood. You obviously know your colony well and really care for them -- which is VERY likely going to end up saving the one's life. And another big yeah for your mom and dad for agreeing to take this one (and perhaps the second one!) - you've obviously got a very nice, caring family.

You've definitely gotten some great suggestions from two great, very knowledgable members above. It's late -- so I'll try to keep it short! But I'll try to address a few things from my experience - and hopefully I won't overlap advice too much. :)

You've obviously done a GREAT job socializing the one you've taken in and are medicating!!! We can't get one of our kitties to take a pill even if her life and the life of the whole human race depended on it! I don't know how experienced your parents are with pilling a cat, but if she still needs meds when she gets to your parents, I'd suggest going to your vet before the kitty makes the move. Vets can often offer medication in a form that's easier on the cat then pills (or can give you a prescription and point you to a local "compounding pharmacy" where medications can often be converted into a liquid, or even a cream that you rub onto the cat's ear, where it absorbs the med through the skin. Not all medications can be done that way - - but if it can be - - it's alot easier on the cat (and on the new relationship with your parents!) .

I'm not a big thunder vest lover for cats. I know some people swear by them - and if yours work well with them, wonderful! We tried them with a few of our VERY scared kitties - they didn't tolerate them at all. Our sweet little ex-TNR'd feral we brought in several years ago was SO terrified by it that she actually ended up pushing a screen open in seconds and was outside in her effort to get the vest off - - she was beyond terrified of it. We tried one more time with her (this time in a small room, with no windows!) and it still traumatized her so much that she then hid under the bed for days. :(. We also tried it with Bowie (the one that's my avatar) - he's a failed foster that spent his first few years of life being VERY abused-- he's scared of his own shadow!). But the shirt was a new level of terror for him. So, while I'd never say "they don't work" bc I know people who swear by them (sounds like you've had good luck!)- -I've personally had bad experiences with them!

Instead - again, I'd talk to my vet. They can likely prescribe a light medication to help calm him a bit of his fear for the trip. And as noted above - - a soft sided carrier may be less intimidating. But whatever she'll be transported in - - - set it in "her room" for a week or so prior to her leaving date. Leave it open (take the door off if possible) and put good things inside it -- - a super soft blanket or fleece, a catnip toy or two - and when you're there, put a treat inside to lure her in there so she can see it's not a bad place. Instead - it's a place filled with soft things and yummy treats! And if she likes to play with a laser pointer - - -get her playing with that - - -and get her to follow the dot in and out of it. When it comes time for her to leave - - you can direct her inside with the laser pointer!

Lastly - - -and I can say more on this when it's not 3 am (I'm getting less coherent by the minute :runaround:) - - my absolute BIGGEST piece of advice is that when she gets to your parents, even if she seems completely unfazed by the trip, loves your parents, and wants to explore - - please please please keep her isolated in the room you bring her into ( a small unused bedroom is one of the best). No matter how much you and/or your parents hate to keep her in there, trust me, it makes a HUGE difference in the long!!!!!!!!!! Put a radio or TV in there if possible, playing something soft. Have them visit her OFTEN (and not always just to medical or feed). She'll adjust MUCH better in the long run - - promise!

I know - I still wrote a novel. Sorry about that!!!!!! And you really do have great advice in the others' notes above!!!!

Keep us posted on how things work out!!
image.png