Self scooping boxes?

katavenue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am looking into buying one of those self-scooping litter boxes. They are quite expensive, and I would like to own more than one, as I have multiple cats in my home. I have seen some at Wal Mart for $100, but have heard that these do not work well. Has anyone tried these? If so, what is your opinion on them? Also, does anyone know where I could get a good one for a low price?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never used them. I've heard good and bad results. Many times the cats don't like the noise they make and refuse to use them. Before you invest in them, maybe check on craigslist (I've seen people wanting to sell theirs) first and see if the cats will even use it.

gray kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Someone gave me their littermaid and it was horrible, it was so disgusting. I just threw it out after the first day.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always thought they looked a bit too good to be true and I know my cats wouldn't like it if it was noisy. x

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Spaz had one(Littermaid) and she used it without issue, except for having the scrape the bottom occasionally because the litter would sometimes clump on the bottom and the rake couldn't get through it. I loved it. I'm thinking about getting one for Attitude and Nuts and seeing if they use it. It was so much easier than a regular litterbox, it did the work for me and I only had to deal with changing or emptying the container once a week(it was never full, only if I waited 2 weeks or so.) Spaz didn't know about the noise at first(she was more curious than anything else) but got used to it. It waits 10 mins after they leave the box so by then they usually aren't near the box. It doesn't make noise while they are using it.

Taryn

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taryn

Spaz had one(Littermaid) and she used it without issue, except for having the scrape the bottom occasionally because the litter would sometimes clump on the bottom and the rake couldn't get through it. I loved it.
i really like mine [currently have 3 Littermaids] but some versions do seem better than others [Elite vs. Basic, etc.]. the smell when the receptacle is emptied is quite overpowering, but it beats scooping multiple times a day, imo.
altho i'd love to try the LitterRobot [it gets GREAT reviews] but @ $300+, can't seem to make myself invest in it...

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would look for reviews online of these boxes. If you have multiple cats, I don't know how good it would be. One or two cats I would say it may work better for.

Personally, I use the Petmate Jumbo. I have 7 seniors who use it. It will hold 40 lbs of litter easily, even more. Has storage for the scoop. And I paid about twenty dollars for it.

I just scoop twice a day. It is antibacterial also.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a Litter Maid years ago, and I hated it. If the cat did not cover the poo, the rake would get all clogged up with poop and I would end up spending more time trying to clean out that dumb rake than I would've spent just scooping the box. I gave the thing away. That was probably 8 years ago - perhaps the design has improved since then. But I know I will be saving my money and sticking with my litter scoop!

nutrolori

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I too have heard good and bad things about them. The brand can make a big difference. I have never used one with Chester as I know he would never go near it if I did. He can be a little jumpy and I don't think he would much appreciate one of those.
He would probably protest by using everything as a litter box but the litter box!

Keep us posted if you get one and how it works out.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using a Litter Robot for 3.5 years with great success. We love it. I even added a 3 year old cat last year who'd always used a typical box and she took to the Robot in less than a week.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I soooo wish I could get them in my house...Id probably short the house out running THAT many boxes tho lol.. I have never seen one personally in use but idea rocks